Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The music of Wipeout Pure

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Default The music of Wipeout Pure

Over the last cigarette I had did some thinking about the new Wipeout and was wondering what kind of music they would give the handheld version of our favourite game. Does it make any sense bying song licenses for a machine that`s not even remotely able to make them sound like they were supposed to sound? I mean, sure, they will add PS2 combatibility, but the game still has to stand on its own on a portable device. I know this is pure (!) ;) speculation, but I still think this poses a serious issue in the development of the game, don`t you think? Actually the limited sound capabilities of the PSP raise my hopes that we will see another in-house soundtrack, since it would be much cheaper and thus much more efficient for Sony.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Or you can play using headphones.
    I hate people who play with their GB Advance in the train and oblige you to listen to the coins they are picking while playing Mario.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Actually the limited sound capabilities of the PSP raise my hopes that we will see another in-house soundtrack, since it would be much cheaper and thus much more efficient for Sony.
    Was the Wipeout Fusion soundtrack in-house? It was terrible and sort of flat what they need is music like that from WO 3, that game has some really good songs for racing it's that kind of energetic music

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

WipEout Fusion's soundtrack was not in-house.

Hope that helps!

except for the tiny speaker, there should be a high level of sound capability. using headphones would provide good sound, but better yet, eliminating the near worthless speakers so that headphones would be required for sound would mean extra space for something more useful, like oooooh... extra shoulder buttons, sorta

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

That`s right, I don`t think the PSP itself will be bad at producing high quality musis, but the speakers would surely compromise us hearing any of it. ;)

Ricardo, I never really liked the WO3 soundtrack. On the contrary, I thought THAT one was flat compared to WO1 and 2. 1 certainly had the most original score of all Wipeouts, 2 the most powerful one. I happen t have heard the Fusion soundtrack for the first time today and I think it`s not that bad. Would put it on one level with WO3.

Ben

i love the soundtrack on WO3

and WO1

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

What I find significant about the WO 3 music is that I don`t particularily like Paul van Dyke and yet think he did the best track for that soundtrack. ;-) Anyway, I know it`s great music, I`m simply not so much into trance as in other electronica. :)

i was always a massive fan of photek on the 2097 soundtrack and would love to see some high quality drum and bass reintroduced to the mix for pure. nothing classicly british though, that stuff is way overcooked in my opinion. i believe concord dawn (new zealand) would do a pretty decent job.

i have a nasty, itchy feeling that there may a bit of a rock influence in a few tracks. this guess is only based on the rise in popularity of rock music in the british music industry recently. faithless have released a rock(ish) remix of their latest track for radio 1 airplay. the prodigy were very ahead of their time in the dance>>rock movement respect, their efforts on 'the fat of the land' illustrate this.

if the game is set to play like its past versions, then maybe its musical artists are going to sound like them too, albeit in their modern form.
    -
    i remember hearing some garage-esque sounds and rhythms on the fusion soundtrack. that was at a time when garage was hitting a plateau of commercial popularity. drum and bass (mildly) and rock (certainly) are the current flavours of the months and, if the developers decide to repeat their marketing model, are highly likely to appear in the wipeout pure playlist.
    -
    oh and (holds up his CoLD SToRAGE fan-club scarf)... well you know
    -
    [EDIT] what about a warp/rephlex records exclusive soundtrack? listen here

¥

i don't have the scarf, but Tim's ''CoLD SToRAGE'' music for the original WipEout is still the best i've heard for a 'futuristic' racing game; it just really sets the right mood, has the right feel. particularly for a dark psychological ambience.

Sascha was very close, though, in that his work for WO3 fit the that particular visual ambience so extremely well. his 'Expander' track still ranks as one of the best pieces of music for anti-grav racing ever.

i agree with your opinion on xpander. my victory celebrations are much more expressive and outgoing when that particular track is being played.

i also agree with your take on sasha matching the game's visual ambience, it is exactly what i thought when i first played the game.

what do you reckon to a drum and bass soundtrack for pure, lance? have you had much exposure to it in the usa?

¥

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

yuusen said: "i agree with your opinion on xpander. my victory celebrations are much more expressive and outgoing when that particular track is being played."

u do some kinda victory dance? (^_______^)

Im with lance on this1- go CoLD SToRAGE!

from wo3 i enjoyed some tunes the influence beeng my favorite
    but fr wo1 i liked All of them!
    btw on the platina edition of wo1 there were a couple of extra tunes 1of them was Afro somthing
    i think they speek some african language or so it seems .. pretty cool!

I stand for Drum N Bass if you ask me (tho no one did, Photek seemed to be very close to what I imagined as a perfect DNB background for WOXL. But for what it's worth - I'd like to hear Phoneheads and Makai in WOP. I guess that ain't never gonna happen, so I pick Buckfunk3000, and Tipper as my WOP music representatives. But knowing that it ain't gonna happen either, I choose Chemical Brothers as my all time favs....but then again, they haven't invented anything pounding my ears of since "Surrender" and it was like 5 years ago...after all, there's always The Prodigy who'll relese the new album soon..but their new album was postpointed like 3 times now, so I say......(i can go on like this for hours )...

buckfunk3000! why didnt i think of it before!?

welcome to utopia! where everyone drives a cadillac car and kids are paid with hamburgers!

i take it you have the 'sound off' album, ja?
    -
    tipper creates some very focussed and heavy breakbeat tracks.

on a breakbeat tangent, i wonder if adam freeland would be interested in doing something antigrav...
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Shem
    (i can go on like this for hours )...
    yeah, twice if required
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by zargz
    u do some kinda victory dance? (^_______^)
    lol, again, twice if required. :

¥

will someone delete my cloned-by-accident post? I had a lesson, not to refresh after submitting a post :wink: (it'll happen again eventually )....

Yep Yuusen, "Sound Off" and "Surrounded" plus some breakbeat sets from like 2002..
    Tipper is way too elecronic and twisted than anyone could imagine. What I don't like about him is that sometimes he gets into electro too much, and comparing it to nu school, like Buckfunk3000, I ought to choose Buckfunk3000 as the ultimate provider of the wobbling, distorted, hardcore, reversed, sub-bassed basslines. Tho I really like Drum And Bass (as well as being much into British music in general), I guess, ppl wouldn't be having fun listening to this kind of music. The most obvious eg. would be Rollcage Stage2, which seemed to be a bit away from what we call a decent game electronic music (I liked it a lot, no one will make me forget Technical Itch - Deadline at 800km/h surrouded by flashy explosions and the feel of total chaos around me).
    Perhaps that's why I highly doubt, that there will be DNB in WOP....

it's taken care of, Shem

------------

concerning DnB, i haven't had much exposure to it, but like most music genres here, it's something you have to seek out. radio just plays the same old same old. uh oh, big lightning storm right now; i better shut down the electrics

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Well, I`m not sure what the current mainstream in electronical music is, but DnB would be great. Fits the WO athmosphere and pumps blood through the veins.
    On a more realistic level though I`d stick to the argument that we should be hearing something from CS again. He can do DnB anyway, can`t he?

Thanks Lance.

U're completley right about the music Lance. The radio plays some awful tune of theirs for a few years now, and what's worst, I doesn't seem to change...The best times of electronica had passed by (speaking in terms of popularity....just recall what was happening back in '97...), now to find a good music is to go underground. I won't even tell how much the underground elecronica (it's just an eg., it might be rock or hip hop as well) is better than the stuff we've been fed by our 'beloved' radio conglomerats. So if you want to listen to good music, you have to seek for it. But when you find it, you will never turn the radio on.
    I really don't know what is the mainstream in electronica right now. It's different for different countries, so by far I can tell you that in Poland, electronic music, often mistaken for Techno in general would be the crappy, pounding Trancey music made with some Roland synths, and a drum machine. The kind of music to which you party only when drunk or stoned. And I don't wanna offence any Trance music genre fan out there, becouse there are lots of sub-genres within Trance itself. But this one is the most uncomplicated, unambicious, simply absurdal kind. Like Ozzy Osbourne would say: "It's like being constatly kicked in the head, while the best part of a track is when it ends".
    That much for the trends in electronica in my country Now to continue with WO. Heh, as you can see, I can't stop myself from writing when it comes to this topic.
    Hearing Cold Storage once again would make a full circle in WO music history. Sounds good. But still, I think CS should stick to what he produced so far, becouse as far as I know, he's not a Drum And Bass head. It would be a better idea to let him (what am I talking about? 'let him'? he decides on his own what he is about to produce [at least I hope so]) do his thing, and leave the DNB to those who tend to make good DNB.
    All in all, all of us have their own preferences, lately I recorded a DJ set inspired by Wipeout (a copy of it should be in Al's hands soon) and found that the best way to be satisfied with the selction of music tracks fitted to wipeout. But that was just my idea....

Well, has anyone heard Polynomial by Aphex Twin?? My dream is to hear that that piece of music in one of the WO games. Actually, I think that this one would fit like a glove in the WO series. I strongly recommend U to listen to this one... U won't regret
    Althoug the OST from W3 games is top notch I often turn the tracks off and let Polynomial take me into another dimension... or something like that :wink:

'polynomial c' (many people leave the c out, thinking its a typo), alongside 'heliospan' (i'll bet thats spelt wrong now) are two of my favourite tracks by the twin. i'd like to think that 'polynomial c' was named after the key it was played in.

'54 cymru beats' would take some beating (no pun intended) as a wipeout track - its twisting, manic rhythms melting into one another is the substance of pure hypnosis.

theres another track that he used to play live when he was playing his 'richard d james' stuff that only lasted for about a minute and a half but was some of the roughest drum and bass i have ever heard in my life. just pure adrenogression.

fact of the day : aphex twin was born and grew up in wales.
    -
    shem : here in wales, its pretty much the same; although we do get to receive some decent radio 1 essential mixes as well as the one world show, which has some great eclectic and worldly music on it. the breezeblock is great for people who want to start getting into broken beats and all in all the station is pretty dance friendly, albeit a little softcore when it comes to regular musical tangents; most of the time it sticks to a safe common denominator.

as for the underground scene here, its quite hard to find rare records outside the capital city and most of the hill-dwelling public stick to music they have listened to as children, meaning there is no progression on the scene (again, outside the capital).

have you heard of mu-ziq (replace 'mu' with the mathematial mu symbol in your mind) aka mike paradinas? there was a great track of his called 'approaching menace' - its on the lunatic harness album, look it up if you havent already. very ahead of its time.

¥