Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: The music of Wipeout Pure

I think you misundersood me.

Onyx = Musical Heaven to me.

Hopefully Studio Liverpool realise his track kicks the arse off everyone else's and they'll ensure Cold Storage features in the track downloads.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Ah, okay. I thought you would mean that Onyx is heaven, but you meant that your opinion is that it sounds really good, like heaven.
    So or so. I think it's interesting what artists think while making their tracks or choosing a title for it.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

@ Lance

[new school vs old school rant]Heh, whatever you say old man lol.

Jokes aside though, you're very much right, I like electronic music because it's new... but what's wrong with new? Because it's new, doesn't mean it lacks quality. Thing is that people see the core at the obvious heart of electronic music and pass over the quality beneath the surface on the premise that it's all "mindless computer beats".

Sure, maybe the beat is constant and uses the same ideas over and over, why? Because it gives it a global medium. As is said, it's a capitalist world and you need money to do anything in a capitalist world, including making and distributing music. You give a standard (in this case a consistent beat to keep people dancing) and you attract people to keep things going.

"Mindless computer beats" are a product of necessity, it's the same with hip hop (rapping about being the opposite to the law,) with rock (singing about hating/being the opposite to your average person,) with general pop (singing about nonexistent love), with country music (song structure is very uniform, as are the song lyrics) and everything else with a still active scene.

What i'm getting at here is that at the end of the day, every bit of music, new or old is tailored to an audience, even music of times gone by is surviving in people's minds today by people believing it comes from some kind of Halcyon Days where everything was perfect. Whether it was made 300 years ago or yesterday, the true quality will always be there, only in a different form. If it's not a piece with compex notes written over weeks or months, it's a piece with less complex notes, though with sounds of one's own design, written over weeks or months. Maybe JS Bach wrote his music with a real love for music, because he loved having people hear what he'd written, maybe it looks today as if it was completely free of artistic restraints, but in all truth that's just not possible, it may seem timeless today, but at the time, it was popular music written for instruments of the day for people of the day to enjoy. In the same breath, Sasha's Xpander was written with instruments of this day for people of this day to enjoy, don't dismiss it as just a fashion because it was written in this age, in 300 years, they could talk of different greats of music past: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Sasha.

Anyway, this reply has been too long, all to get across that i'm saying, don't dismiss modern music as just passing fashion, the artistic dream is still alive in some of us, just have a little respect my friend, i love music as much as any other man, not because it's this, that or the other, just because it shows the one thing (aside from wipEout lol) to bring any sense to the world in my eyes: love, peace, success and community, i don't need it when there's a little bit of art left to support and live for.

OK, well I hope this hasn't been long enough to give you a headache reading it and I hope I don't look too much like a silly little kid for saying all this, feel free to point out any flaws you've found in what i've said, they're there (probably) Oh and one last thing, I hope you don't take (too much) offence at what i've said, i'm just sticking up for the representatives of IMHO art music's last breath [/old school vs new school rant]

oh, there are plenty of flaws
    you misunderstand my point. CoLD CoMFORT, for example is modern music, but it is also classic, and of high quality. i am not dismissing modern music. i love electronica. what i am saying is that to dismiss CoLD CoMFORT, or any music more than a few months old as ancient and cheesy and not worth listening to because it isn't new is ridiculous. there should always be new music, but neither newness nor antiquity guarantees excellence. some of those guys back in the Baroque days turned out a lot of mediocre music. it generally gets ignored because we can judge it more fairly because it isn't the latest thing, and we have so much to pick and choose from. we don't have the time to listen to mediocre old music. that's how you can tell what is classic and what isn't. only the high quality stuff is thought of as classic and still gets listened to. that applies to modern popular music, too. as with any era, ours has both great music and dreck and a range of stuff in between. the quality has nothing to do with new or old.

there is nothing wrong with music being new. i like Scissor Sister or Hoobastank. but i also like Marilyn Manson and Sting [though he's not as inspired these days] and Radiohead. just because they started several years before SS or White Stripes [who have been around for a couple of years now, themselves] has zero to do with whether they're good and exciting to listen to. newness has some value of its own in that we need new stuff to keep interested, and something totally different and also excellent may be produced from new technology or a new way of thinking about musical structure or a new instrumental sound. but like always, a little of it will be great, a lot of it will be soso, and a lot of it will be crap. that's just the nature of humans and what they make, and who has great talent and originality and who doesn't, but makes art anyway.

''.. people see the core at the obvious heart of electronic music and pass over the quality beneath the surface on the premise that it's all "mindless computer beats".''
    i am not one of those people and never did i say such a thing. it is a flaw of the process of critique and dialectic that it takes so much effort to be specific, and so little effort to be broadly general. the search for complete and accurate knowledge and opinion takes a lot of energy. there just isn't enough of that to go around. and there are so many other things to do. in fact, i just got WO1 today and it is calling me with its newness [to me], and with its classic quality, too.

but first, i gotta read all the other new posts.
    then i'll continue playing

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Agree with you fully on the quality seperate from age thing, I was just pointing out, as you seem to understand, that dissing current era music in general is a waste of effort and is distinctly narrow minded. In the same way as you or I would listen to music no matter its age (example, My favourite dance mix CD: Sasha & Digweed - "The Mix Collection Volume 1" 1994,) there are those who will only ever love the new stuff, because new is cool. Geez... Anyway heh, I should have guessed the all knowing and wise Lance would never think such things, silly me :shame I'll leave it at that. You're free to enjoy your retro diggit-ness.

Anyone remember Oakenfold's Perfecto Fluoro compliation?

That was another another amazing mix CD from the mid-90's.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

I have heard of it, though not actually heard the mix itself. All those forgotten gems out there, eh? The mid and early nineties were probably the coolest time in electro history IMHO, between the super production acts doing their things and that uber cool "proper" trancey, yup.

Default not

''the all knowing and wise Lance''

i'll be sure to put that on my tombstone... unless i get to be truly all-knowing and find out how to avoid death. although avoiding it might be more foolish than wise. who knows, one of these days i might get bored of living. immortality: blech

Bored of living? Nah, it'll never happen. By the time you experience everything the world has to offer, it will have changed so much that you can start all over again. If you do become all-knowing, let us know the secret to eternal life though, eh?

I have to agree with you Dimension - the mid-nineties was really the golden era of electronic music.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang
    Bored of living? Nah, it'll never happen. By the time you experience everything the world has to offer, it will have changed so much that you can start all over again. If you do become all-knowing, let us know the secret to eternal life though, eh?
    Speaks Faust.
    ;)

Ben

yeah mid nineties...wow, I think that Hackers movie really sums it up (in a hollywood sorta way). With Chemical bros, prodigy, leftfield, all just starting to make an impact... orbital.. heck wipeout really captured a golden moment in dance acts

Ahh, the good old days.....
    I love these times, and i guess i will belong there for as long as something better occurs. I hope it will. It must since everything since 2000 seems to suck ass....

Im not so sure that all electronic music has suffered since then. There are some fantastic electronic artists around today including, Global Communication, Ulrich Schnauss, Sasha, way out west, Hybrid, Prefuse 73, not to mention the leagues of independent electronic artists that are beavering away producing fantastic tracks. .
    I think the tendancy nowdays is to produce electronic music that is more intricate and positive in nature than the dark techno rifts of the ninties.
    You've just got to know where to look, for good electronic music.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Brica

I've just started another topic that might interest you. I first thought of an answer to previous posts, but it appeared to be too long to fit here. This is about what happened to Electronic Music…
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2117