Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSP ergonomics

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by yuusen
    i wonder if a 3rd party company will start to sell clip-on 'handles' that will recreate the shape of a classic playstation controller...
    now That would b somthing!

i finally found a shot of the psp that shows both sides clearly. it seems that there are handle-type lumps on the back of the device.

take a look. (the little round thing under the d-pad is an analog stick. yipee!)

¥

Is that really an analogue ..uhmmm....gizmo (pad? stick? whatever?)? I dunno....It looks just like a speaker of some sort. It's far too small for an analogue stick. I mean if you look at the pic at the size its showed on that website that stick is just about the right size for an analogue stick. But when you shrink the pic, and see the PSP at it's real size......then the 'analogue stick' is as big as a button. What's the point of having an analogue stick of that size?
    I wouldn't worry about the clip-on's which would make PSP feel like a regular PS pad. Bearing all the accesories for PS in mind - It's a question of time acctually. What worries me the most is PSP's screen. I wonder if the screen will remain the clarity of image at any time.

Sorry yuusen, but that's the speaker.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Hm, but then where IS the stick? ;)

Seeing those pictures I am still afraid it will be difficult for me to feel comfortable holding this thing. It appears to be too wide to fall into the "handy" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman
    Sorry yuusen, but that's the speaker.
    ah, i see that the images are meerly thumbnails. ive now had a look at the enlargments.

i am still convinced that what we are seeing below the d-pad is an analog stick. if you look closely at the isometric view, you will see a shadow beneath the stick. on the front elevation, the grill (im assuming that you think it is a grill akin to those used on car speakers) looks more like a pattern of raised grips.

remember the concept image – there was a small circle in the centre of the d-pad. my friends and i had specualted for some time that this was the analog stick and that it had some sort of push-in-push-out mechanism (like the power switch on tvs) that allowed it to protrude when needed, with maybe a twist or two to keep it in place. complex i know but quite a clever way to put the stick away when not in use. i am guessing that, if my specualtion was correct, sony saw fit to move the analog stick out of the centre of the d-pad in order to avoid it being accidentally activated during play. this would justify the stick being placed below the d-pad. although it could still be activated with the thumb joint i feel that, due to the shape of the psp, the thumbs may result in being placed on the buttons from a more outside angle when compared to the holding position of the dual shock, avoiding contact with the analog stick.

the size of the stick does not bother me, i have used smaller on a dell laptop (the keyboard centred touch-mouse) to great success. the thing looks grippy enough to be moved easily and we have no way of telling what the force needed to move the stick will be, nor its range of movement.

unless you have a reliable source of information that states that that little round thing is certainly a speaker, i shall remain fixed in my perception.

in an attempt to quash any arguements like "so where is the speaker if i cant see it?" – my ipod does not have a visible speaker, yet manages to emit a clearly audible chirp or bleep when placed in its dock. if apple have the ability to create effectivel internal speakers for portable devices, i guess sony may do too.

¥

PSN ID
    infoxicated

It's the analogue stick, not a speaker.

consider the reliable source of information officially found!

cheers infox

¥

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

wow! a stick!! hope it's as good as the n64 or Xbox'!
    now, does anybody know if the d-pad is 'analog' (3 steps) like the d-pad on the ps2 controller?