Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSP Questions

PSN ID
    infoxicated

It's not even close - the GBA is bascially a portable N64 - i.e. ten year old technology.

ive got a mate who is a nintendo person and says that all sony consoles are crap (so biased) and he said that the game boy ds was basically an n64, the graphics ive seen in a nintendo mag look exactly the same as an n64 graphics wise, and its just crap, they should spend more time on what they are doing, any ways in comparison gba has

CPU: 32-bit ARM, 16 MHz
    RAM: 32k RAM, 96k VRAM, 256k WRAM
    Resolution: 240 x 160
    which is about as much as i can find, the sp and gba are the same in technical specs

I feel the only reason so far to buy a PSP is for Wipeout. There is some big questions that needs to be answered before I am really certain of buying it.

For example, Ive heard that the PSP wont be as "portable" as the Nintendo DS. Just look at Sega when they tried to take on the portable gaming market, their console was far more advanced than the game boy and featured much cooler games but its battery time of 3 hours and extremly expensive hardware killed it.

And now I hear the PSP screen alone costs about 300usd to produce and its battery time is supposedly quite low. Deja vu? I find it hard to buy a light-version console with a really small screen with limited portability instead of just keep playing with my stationary consoles and/or buy a Nintendo DS. Looks to me like Sony are ruining it for themselfes when their PSP might compete with their own stationary console. Why buy a PSP when you own a PS2? The battery time must get a lot longer for it to actually be a portable console that has any edge over their current system.

Thats what I think anyway

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I have similar concerns... I don't know if I could justify buying one for Wipeout alone, but then there'll be GT, Burnout and Madden, which is just about all I need.

But then I wonder when I would play it... I'm at work all day, I have a PS2 on my desk I play at lunch times, then I come home, watch some satellite tv, and then either go on the PC or play with my PS2. So I'm not seeing a window of opportinuty for me to play with a PSP when playing on my PS2 isn't possible.

If I still lived in London and was spending two hours or more on the tube or bus every day, then yeah... I think it would be a no brainer... that is, of course, up until I get mugged for it, and the guy sitting in the same train carriage with an iPod gets away scott free! :wink:

then those kinds of problems make way for people who have nothing else better to do at college/school or boring jobs, in anycase the more interesting thing that i have just put 2 and 2 together and remembered about other people (not just here on the zone but some of my friends) saying "i want to get this console for this game but i think ill just waste my money on it for about 2 months play'' so they buy it with the game they wanted and a couple of other games with it and realise that the games they have just got are quite interesting to play so they buy other games that they have read in magazines and buy more games and so on and so forth, so even tho you may only want to buy a psp for wop get more games to play on that are more or less sequels to games already out for ps2, but i understand if you have the same problem as infox and cant seem to find time to play on it then you could alternate the days of which you play on ps2 psp and pc, or if you are doing something on the pc and waiting for something to happen put the psp on and have a play

PSN ID
    o_fluff

i bet it'll cost a fortune...

i mean they have to fit in a tft screen, a laser reader, a disk drive, speakers. and who knoews what (probably some tracking thing so the governmeant can make you pay for how far you travel with it. :wink: ) anyway being serious that is a lost of kit and then some to fit in a tiny space, i think this might cost £250. and as infox said...
    I get mugged for it, and the guy sitting in the same train carriage with an iPod gets away scott free!
    ...you see. this would mean w''o'p would have to be godlike for me to buy. i bought the gba the day it came out for f-zero and i pretty much got bored of the game within about a month and sold the handheld to a mate after about a year.

The jury is still out on this methinks, try a demo one when it comes out and wait for the price to drop.

well i was planning on buying this as soon as it came out (with a little help from Mr Overtime) so if any body else has the same idea we will tell the zone how good (or heaven forbid bad) this wo will be and then you can decide wether or not to buy it, either way its being bought good or bad coz im getting metal gear acid and gt4 portable, im sure its not as much as 250 tho, 115 maybe, ive found on some sites $125-$200 but i dont know what this is in english £age, so when its bought my eyes are gonna be hahahahahhaha

EDIT: I just noticed infox's post about the smile in moderation and having new smily things so i got rid of the laughy smily.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by piranha wiper
    (with a little help from Mr Overtime)
    Class!
    That would probably make quote of the week if we had one.:

Quote Originally Posted by piranha wiper
    EDIT: I just noticed infox's post about the smile in moderation and having new smily things so i got rid of the laughy smily.
    Don't sweat it - I just meant that if you're going to be putting ten smilies in your post, then they'll be trimmed out, but two or three where they're relevant is fine.

class? nice i havent heard that for ages it must be good hey you could put it on the wipeout quote on the home page, i would be most proud , cheers infox i was just being careful for it,

currency convertions, so getting about the middle of $125-200 is about $165 so it is averaging about £90-110, so its quite smart i think, might this give you a little bit of an edge more towards buying mobius?

PSN ID
    o_fluff

it has made me want to..a bit...i think.

does that make any sense?

its not much more expensive than a gda sp and for a much better machine its well worth it and there will be a wave of games for it too, with classics like Ridge Racer, Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow, MediEvil and Frogger?!?! so thers plenty to choose from in the early months not just wipeout, ive played half of these games that were ps1 or ps2 releases and im sure most of you have played some as well, good deal all round

PSN ID
    o_fluff

they should make a micro maniacs 2