Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP Questions

Default PSP Questions

Looks like the only reason I MIGHT consider purchasing this thing is going to be for Wipeout Pure (provided a- it gets good reviews, b- it's thte total opposite of Fusion).

My question is, is there any video out on this thing? It's kind of disapointing to have a brand new bad-ass flashy wipeout and be consticted to this little screen with restrictive controls, is there anyway , or you think there'd be anyway to hook the psp up to a nice hdtv or be able to hook a controller up to it?

this got me thinking, it's going to be disapointed for game companies to be desiging cool games for this thing when you're gona want to play them at home with a proper gaming system and a nice dual shock 2 controller.

that demo video for PURE looked pretty cool

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Hmm yes thats an interesting question, I was wondering the same thing, You had better be able to connect it to a tv....shakes fist violently at Sony

supposedly it can interface with the PS2 perhaps in somewhat the same way as a GameBoyAdvance does with a Gamecube. would this allow big screen play?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by Asche XL
    My question is, is there any video out on this thing?
    I haven't heard anything about the possibility of connecting to a tv, though, as I too would like to play Wipeout Pure on a big screen. Maybe they'll release some sort of adapter at some point - there are a whole shed load of accessories in the pipeline for the PSP from various companies, so who knows.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

May this article bring some light to the issue, although it's from a couple of months ago.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03...ms_psp_to_ps2/

I hope it is true when they release the definitive version of the PSP.

I'm planning to buy one. For a long time I have wanted a decent portable console. I could get a better use for the 12 hours I spend weekly on a train. The problem is that the only decent portables out there for a long time have been Nintendo ones.
    However, Nintendo release policy is crap. It goes something like this: Mario, Zelda, Mario remake, Kirby, Wario, F-zero remake, Castlevania remake, Megaman remake, Mario, Bomberman remake...

Although every one of them were great games when they were first released, I'm tired of playing the same old games that I already played in 1992 (getting them in color in a portable doesn't make them better than they were in a SuperNintendo). So, I never bought any of the Nintendo's upgrades to the GameBoy and just played now and then with those of a friend or a relative.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Default WipEout also for PS2?

Maybe there will be a Version for the PS2, too (?)

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Nah, sadly there isn't and there are no plans to do one.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Although I hope we'll be able to connect our PSP to our PS2, I realise that it would be a big marketing mistake to make a standalone PS2 version.

Exclusive games usually boost hardware sales.

A PS2 version would benefit wipers but I don't expect Sony to consider it would benefit them.

Maybe if the game is later released as Platinum then a PS2 port can be made, once it does not influence hardware sales.

BTW, I'm curious of how easy (design-wise, not coding-wise) it will be to port games specifically programmed for a 16:9 display to a PS2 that mostly aims to 4:3 displays.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

You add black bars at the top and the bottom of the pictures.

SCNR. ;)

Seriously, though, I can't imagine another way of doing this and still keeping everything that is on the PSP screen. You could, of course, just take away a little from the left and right borders.... and I'd hate seeing them do that, especially if (!) it would mean to simply have the TV display cut these parts off and not designing an adapted version...

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Default I'm shocked now!

@ infoxicated:

what?!? :cry: thats baaaaad!!! But why there will be no version for the PS2? ...I'm shocked now. And I thought I could play WipEout Pure also on the PS2...

really bad thing... so I never will play WipEout Pure, because a PSP costs to much money...

Please make a version for the PS2, too.

i was, upon discovring this topic, about to ask the exact same question regarding the screen dimensions.

then it struck me.

we've seen many games (colin mcrae for psone for example) provide the option of changing the display to 16:9 for widescreen play. in those days, the discs held 700MB of data. with 1.8GB of storage avaliable for psp's umd format, and a lot more processing power under the hood, i am sure that, if they were so inclined, developers could inlcude a way of switching the resolution dimensions of the game in order to be displayed on different external screen ratios without being concerned about resource consumption within the psp. this could either be done automatically by the games internal software (upon sensing connection of either the video-out cord or connection to the ps2) or it could be a user-option, allowing for players to select 4:3 or preserve 16:9 if they intend to play on a widescreen tv.
    -
    another thought:

i remember a lot of hype about the ps2 was the ability to upgrade parts of its system software. perhaps there could be an upgrade available that would allow the ps2 to turn into a ratio conversion gateway, harnessing its unused power (the game is running on the psp, but the ps2 would have to be switched on if that was the chosen method of getting picture to an external display) to convert the game's screen ratio as it is passed to the television set. the software could be distributed on cd and stored in one of the memory cards. would the data transfer rate from card to ps2 motherboard be fast enough to perform the conversion however? [afterthought] : it could also run directly from the cd if the data transfer rates were found to be faster that way.

i do not pretend to know a lot about the internal workings of the ps2, these are simply ideas i am having on the spot based on prior knowledge and informal heresay (with a dash of speculation to taste).

¥

i'm hoping for some kind of TV adaptor or PS2 hook-up too. Sony have been bigging up the PS2 - PSP connectivity angle so I'm fairly optimistic.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I heard the PSP will be available next year, in 2005. Now I saw, that the PSP will be there this year (Nov. 19. 2004), in Japanese.

(Check this out
    http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=over&category=218

So, will be WipEout Pure available this year, too? Or in 2005, when the PSP will move to the rest of the world?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

It seems the release date for the console in Europe is the 5th March 2005

http://www.theregister.com/2004/05/2...y_euro_launch/

I'd expect WO Pure release to be synced with the European release of the PSP.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

I maybe a complete dummy here, and apologies for dragging up an old post, but isnt the PSP scheduled for a simeltaneous worldwide release? I thought it was, and from everything I hear, that should mean a uk/world release in feburary 2005.

I dont know about what you guys are thinking, but I am uber-stoked about the PSP after seeing the E3 demos and coverage.... A new wipeout game would usually send me to the brink of euphoria, but coupled with the new, and undoubtedly the future handheld king of videogames, I am totally lost for superlatives to describe my exitement!

I will have mine on the release date, with copies of wipeout pure, gt4mobile, ridge racer collection and ape escape. Hopefully, seeing as I am splashing so much cash, the store will think about some sort of discount for a 128mb memory stick..maybe not.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

The Japanese release is scheduled for this December, Thrusty, but the rest of the world will have to wait a few months as things stand.

Well worth waiting for, though

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

thanks mr. foxicated

:

That still leaves me with six months to waste, and try and find enough cash to grab a PSp. Sure, I might have GT4 sometime this year to keep me amused, but if the last one is anything to go by, it should keep me entertained for at least four days :-?

So, in short, if anyone has any menial tasks for me to perform for them in the run-up to the PSp, they can consider me as their whipping boy! I am academically qualified, fully house trained, a fantastic singer, and a pheomenal dancer (but only when I have to go to the bathroom really bad,,)

My reward for all this work?
    A brand new shiny PSp, which I shall probably lose behind the back of the sofa, along with my PDA, some old gameboy games and a winning lottery ticket :

So, does that mean WipEoutPure is chalked in to be a launch title? I dont expect it to sell well out in j-land, though... they just love their monkeys.......

Thruster, you should hook up with Science creating an ultimate singin-dancin-floor-wipin' combo. I can be a DJ adding a whole new dimension to your show. Can you feel it?
    *somwhere in 2005....*
    "Ladies and gentelmen, SONY is offering you a new, stunning experiance in the world of portable game systems. Forget everything you know about handhelds. Now is the time to step into the new era of portable game systems. New new era, the new generation of games and new world of possibilities. Ladies and gentlemen, PSP is here....
    But first! Let's hear it from the Thruster, Science and Shem, the all singin', all dancin' incredible happy-chappie-floor-wipie-band!! YAY!!!!! (crowd goes wild)"

:-?

...oh god...
    The sad thing is, at this point I can imagine it. :roll: ops:

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

We would rock.

Coolest show ever!
    All we need is a name, a mansion of some description and armoured cars.
    Apparently its all the range!

: :