Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New "WipEout Pure" video up.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    VagabondArts

hm...

first I wanted to say that you racers that don't pilot from inside the cockpit are crazy.
    That is some of the best fun to be had and the rolling motion you get taking all the turns and dips is one of my favorite elements in this series. I still remember showing my aunt and uncle the first wipeout on a big screen back in 95 and they got motion sickness
    YEAH!

I don't know how I feel about the pit lane going away... does that mean that we're seeing a return to the original wipeout play mechanics?

where weapons dont kill you they just slow you down?
    -Animagic

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I don't really like the cockpit view; I prefer to be able to see my beautiful Assegai as it effortlessly turns a corner. No pit lanes, I wonder if my crafts stats will remain the same, seen as it sacrificed it's shield capabilities to have superb handling, but if there are no craft shields does this mean that they will downgrade the other aspects of the craft? I hope not.

<-- will understand if no one has a clue what I'm on about

zargz said: ''No boost - makes racing more even. Look @ 2097/xl tables!''
    zargz, the XL records are not that close, but the WO3 NTSC tables are very close. you ought to know; look how close to Al you are in some of those races.

i'm just a bit ambivalent about this issue now; the one i'm currently doing the best on is XL, but i've always loved the extra strategy and tactics given to WO3 by shield-energy-based hyperthrust. it makes a game that takes longer to improve your times on, so that may be the factor that determines which is your favourite version/game mechanic. the records tables for WO3 make it obvious that several people have spent that time. there are some fantastic times on there. too bad none of em are mine.

single-race mode is the one that is most affected by the number of buttons you have available for weapons drop and hyperthrust and such. maybe a small number of buttons is just the price you pay to have buttons of reasonable size, and more importantly, spacing, on a portable gameplay console.

negotiating the pit lane is yet another strategic and tactical element that adds to the satisfaction of achieving mastery in Wipeout games. the versions in which this element is unimportant, such as 2097/XL are easier to do well in than WO3. this is again one of those things that take extra time to master, but which extend the challenge and lifespan of the game. i find that i like both the simpler type of play in 2097/XL and the more complex one of WO3. luckily i have both games. a new game that has more detailed and animated graphics and both types of play in one game would be really really desirable to me. possibly the two types could be implemented by simply having two 'leagues', one of which had all features, Formula Max, and another, which simply disallowed hyperthrust and pit usage, Formula Pure.

both those names imply ultimate excellence, so that players who favoured either league would not feel lesser than players who favoured the other league. Formula Pure might have a higher basic speed to compensate for the lack of hyperthrust, so that ultimate laptimes would be similar in both leagues of play. perhaps the Artificial Intelligence in Formula Pure would be more difficult to beat as well just in terms of sheer speed, not in cheaply hanging back to drop mines in front of you when they'd already been lapped once. this would enhance the feeling of pure racing

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

u have a point there, lance .. about the Pure racing i mean
    I think both 3 (a bit) & fusion (a lot) exaggerated with new weapons (my opinion 'fcource)
    a more 'back2basic' aproach regarding the weapons and harder AI (eliminating autopilot
    & hyperthrust_a_la_wo3 would make half the job) would b .. great!

living so far appart the Only way (98%) 4us 2compete with eachother is by comparing times
    i think lance once said 'SR is like TT with extra chicanes'(wo3). i totally agree. I know many will agree with me
    that there's a sertain(big) amoun of luck in what weapon u get in SR that also influence the time/place u'll get.
    Not until we get a working online game will there b a more equal, just & completely fair way to race eachother than TT!
    I assume on every lap on TT u'll get 1boost just as in wo1 & 2097/xl. So 4me going back to boost as a pick up weapon
    is a good thing! besides (may b bad comparison) we dont see any turbo buttons in a nascar, F1 or touring cars of 2day, right? :wink:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Even though online competition may one day be possible in Wipeout, TT will never stop being the ultimate way to compare what drivers are really able to achieve. See Ayrton Senna's qualifying record... Single Race, for me, is there to add more excitement to races but also adds random weapons, so you can never see who is doing best in terms of racing skills.

What I agree on is that we need both WOXL-style TT and WO3-style TT. That way all players should be satisfied - the ones who prefer oure racing (me, me, me ;-) ) and the ones who like the extra amount of strategy required to be fast. I like Lance's idea of hyperthrust-compensation by higher basic speed. If I had that, I wouldn't even need an extra turbo at all. This should make TT REAL basic. :)

Coming to think about it, this shouldn't be difficult to implement in the new game, should it. All that was needed is a number of menu points in the options menu...

Ben

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by zargz
    besides (may b bad comparison) we dont see any turbo buttons in a nascar, F1 or touring cars of 2day, right? :wink:
    In the Champ Car series they have a boost system, actually - it's called Push to Pass and each driver has ten seconds of boost available per race. They can use it to help nail a pass, or maybe even help them get out of trouble after a mistake. It increases the pressure they can have from turbo boost before the pop-off valve goes off and robs them of power.

Pretty cool idea, I thought.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

u gotta b kidding!
    i looked it on google & it seems 2me it's the old .. cart series or was it irl?? :roll:
    btw that's exactly how i reasoned when i reluctantly sugested 10% of the shield for thrust.
    it could save u after hitting a wall or 2overtake some1 on a straight, 1chance 2get back in the race!

ppl dont seem 2have a problem with the randomness of rockets, missiles, mines or shield
    on the other hand they do have a problem with turbo & autopilot. I humbly offer a solution:
    1. turbo(for SR) - put a turbo icon in some corner of the screen & give us a turbo/each completed lap
    (u get 1st turbo @beginnig of 2nd lap) to b used the lap u get it - if u dont use u turbo(boost) for
    lap2 it desaperes entering lap3 where u get a new1for lap3. this 2avoid ppl saving 3(or more)
    turbos 4the last lap & making rediculous times like 14sec lap! Highlight icon when get turbo.
    No turbo on 1st lap coz of the turboStart! a pilot who cant get a turboStart isn't worthy of being called a wipEr!
    2. autopilot - kill it! : (did i mention this b4? ) 'Fishing' 4autopilots (discarding every weapon
    just 2get an autoP 2get thru the 90¤ @MT or similar) for 5laps is not my idea of fun & exiting racing .. :-?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Save the pitlanes.

Quote Originally Posted by zargz
    'Fishing' 4autopilots (discarding every weapon
    just 2get an autoP 2get thru the 90¤ @MT or similar) for 5laps is not my idea of fun & exiting racing .. :-?
    I agree it can get a bit tedious - and autopilot fishing is even less fun with a negcon - nowhere near enough buttons for the discard - fire - cancel routine :roll: . On 2097 the autopilot is not so fast as in WO3, and tends to drop you in dangerous places, so I don`t touch it - and I don`t think its much of a factor in that game. But on 2097 you can find yourself fishing for turbos - so I agree it would be great to take out that particular randomness like you said, aswell as the APs. The cancel routine`s not so bad on 2097 though, because you`re not so generally short of neg buttons.

I would also get rid of weapons like quake and missile, leaving only ones that require a certain amount of timing/targeting to use effectively.

i don't think that neGcon buttons will be much of an issue on WipeoutPure , but lack of buttons in general will be if that design is already 'set in stone'. games will tend to have fewer control options than on the consoles

What do you mean by negcon buttons on wipeout pure(unless you can use regular controllers through conectivity)?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

AFAIK, you cant use external controllers for PSP.

An even playing field for the lot of us then... yay!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I second that! yay! (^_______^)b

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    On 2097 the autopilot is not so fast as in WO3, and tends to drop you in dangerous places, so I don`t touch it - and I don`t think its much of a factor in that game.
    with good planing though u can disengage it on a sraight .. :-?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Yep, I did that quite frequently. When you mess up a race (and don't tell me noone here ever did ;) ) using several autopilots is a legitimate way to get back up front, I think. Of course, this works much better in WO3 than in XL.

Its always legitimate to use autopilot..... its just a matter of whether it improves the gameplay. On the one hand its succesful use is part of the weapon-based skills of flying in race mode, and if its faster than manual flight you should use it. It was provided by the game designers as a power-up, and in a race it would be illogical for a pilot to not to use whatever tools are available. You don`t see the Renault F1 team feeling guilty about their superior race starting systems, or drivers refusing to use traction control because it takes away from their "pure" skills.

On the other hand its randomness, and its efficacy in WO3, leads to the "hunting", which is a bit stupid really. It can also protect a pilot from ever having to learn certain sections of track properly - which makes you a less skilled pilot in the long run. Gameplay would ultimately be better without it. As we all seem to agree: Back 2 Basics please!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    It can also protect a pilot from ever having to learn certain sections of track properly - which makes you a less skilled pilot in the long run. Gameplay would ultimately be better without it.!
    Not necessarily. Casual players who want no more than to get through the game and not become particularily good at it might argue differently. As long as you can always go faster without autopilot, I think it should be left in the game. That way it might help you but not make you faster - as you say - in the long run.

Ben

yes I am guilty of forgetting about the casual players - but I`m sure Sony won`t, so we`ll probably be at least a bit disapointed with some things that make the game "easier". An Autopilot that was faster for novices, slower for experts, always in every scenario - that could be ideal, but I wouldn`t its think possible to programme it perfectly...... though you never know.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

or make tha autoPilot suck so hard (direct translation fr swed) as it did in fusion! :wink:
    is it just me or r there others who think the AP in fusion was almost unusable??
    anyway that would b a waste of a pick up .. :-?

could b as in rollCage where only in the lowest class u could reorient u car!
    so AP only in vector?
    well, I'll have2 disagree with my self here coz vector is sooo slooow that
    any rpg or fps player could clear it with no problem!! .. i think ..

lunar wrote:
    It can also protect a pilot from ever having to learn certain sections of track properly

I wouldnt use the word protect but any of these - prevent, restrain, hinder;

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

i found a major difference from Autopilot between 2097/ W3O ( pal + SE), when you engage autopilot in 2097 you start to slow down speed and then run to the normal speed of the ship you choose ( even you cross a blue pad you won't increase your speed : so i agree with all of you it's slow you down compared to not engaging it)... but it's not really the same with W3O : has anyone noticed that : when you hyperthrust before engaging yours ( for example at the beginning of stanza inter ) you keep high speed with your autopilot so even for expert the autopilot in some case it could be useful to realize great time : just make comparison with or without one.

When i was a newbee few years ago, i was loving autopilot a lot cause it was for me the unique moment to relax my poor hurted fingers.... but now i gotta admit i don't love it anymore even in W3O

oh, yes, cramming on the hyperthrust down the long straight and slamming on the autopilot just as you go into the ManorTop corners