Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New "WipEout Pure" video up.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

I much prefer the W3 style hyperthrust, like infox said it adds strategic complexity to the game in place of random luck. It rewards good pilots - your shield energy is a resource that is never used in 2097 if you are competant and don't hit the walls. In W3 the energy is an expendable resource that the pilot can use in a trade-off against the risk of hitting a wall with hardly any shiled left.

I just watched the Pure vid... and it looks nice. Infact, it looks very nice for a handheld. I think I'll be getting myself a PSP. I like the look of what we have been able to see of Pure so far.. I just hope it gets a bit faster than what is displayed in that vid (feels like Vector or Venom for most of it)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

infox: I believe an unexperienced driver will never get lucky when accidentally hitting the XL-turbo just anywhere on the track. ;)

reji: I assume they only showed Venom or Vector so people woud actually be able to get some sightseeing impressions. ;)

On the tactical component of hyperthrust: Yes of course, having shield and turbo energy linked makes the game a lot more tactical. It's just that this takes a lot away from the simple yet effective gameplay that WO1 and 2 have been about. That's my main concern really. Don't get me wrong, though, hyperthrust is ok in my book. I just don't like it AS much as the XL turbo. :)

Ben

I concur. W3O hyperthrust was a good thing, and the only thing I missed from being unable to use pick-up boost was the feel of a sudden kick, that gave a rush playing XL or the Original.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Shem
    [...] the only thing I missed from being unable to use pick-up boost was the feel of a sudden kick, that gave a rush playing XL or the Original.
    Yeah, well, and since I am a "sudden speed kick" freak... ;)

Oh, but riding on a "quake wave" while icking up a turbo really IS the ultimate eperience! :)

Ben

OK I just watched it, now I'm excited. The handling definitely looks pre-Fusion. I hope there's some way to play PSP on a TV - maybe the USB port on it will hook up to a PS2.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

well dear 'pro booster' fellow wipErs, it all sounds very nice BUT
    the hyperthrust does TOTALLY rule out the Thrust (Acceleration) of Any craf!
    Like the icaras(in wo3) has thrust 1, speed 5. the feisar thrust 5 speed 1 so ..
    after a hard breaking at a tight corner or a crash in the wall icaras can just thrus
    & b on it's way thus obliterating The Meaning of Thrust (the Advantage of Feisar)!
    and as if it wasnt superior enough the turning was cranked up to 3 in wo3se fr 2 in wo3! :
    i would've lowered it to 1 to b as hard 2control as the qirex was in wo1 ! Anyway ..
    the balance of the grid is a different Q. as 4the thrust - in stead'f leting u use 75% of the shield
    15 or even 10% shud've been more widely accepted .. imo
    if the thruster feature disappered in woPure i wont b :cry: but
    :wink:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Who needs a change view button anyway? It's the most useless button you can put in a racing game.

Putting change view as an option in the pause menu is much better. A real time button is a precious resource and players usually only use one view for a certain game. That button is only used in the "Dang, I forgot to change the default setting" rare occasion.

I'd prefer square for turbo and triangle to drop weapon.

so true, xEik. i never use 'change view' or 'rear view' in any racing game even though i use 'nosecam' as my standard view

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

You never use rear view Lance?? I like to use it in Fusion too see if I'm about to be bashed by a Tigron, my Van-Uber is delicate, it can't take it!!!

That’s the only reason though as I don’t realty like to fire weapons backwards

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Unfortuanetely, I never played Fusion, but I also never look back in the WO games. I find it to be far more effeicient (read: faster) to keep my eyes fixed on what's before me than bothering for a missile or an e-bolt from behind. The best way to evade them is to be faster anyway. At least in Phantom and Rapier classes- in the lower ones it doesn't matter in the first place.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    so true, xEik. i never use 'change view' or 'rear view' in any racing game even though i use 'nosecam' as my standard view
    i use rear view often! especially when playin with a friend -
    2c how much i have 2slow down 2let them catch me 2create the ilusion of a tight race :wink:
    about rear view i agree with y'all - should b i the pause or game setting menu.

you need some faster friends.

i don't have anyone to play Wipeout with; but i suppose there might be some reason to use rear view switching or a mirror in 2-player or 4-player mode

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Yep, I'd have to agree there - I like having the rear view in racing games, and I rarely use the button that changes the camera in-game.

Besides, of the few good things that Fusion brought to the series, that "look back and fire a reverse quake" was top of the list for me. I actually miss having it when I play WIpeout 3.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Hm, funny that. I actually have to agree about the rear view in racing games in general. It's really just the WO games where I don't use that feature at all. I don't know, I never felt the need to do so...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

could it b that if u use it then u .. crash?
    Quote Originally Posted by xEik
    I'd prefer square for turbo and triangle to drop weapon.
    triangle is no good really 4anything coz then u'd have 2release the X - gas :-?
    that's prob'ly y it became the view button. in wo1 there wasnt a drop button remember?
    it worked ok 4all weapons(u just shoot away the1 u don want) Xept 4the shield - had 2wait til it was gone
    then in 2097/xl came the Biggest MIsstake in the wo series .. the auto-Fk**-pilot
    *praying hard to the wo-Gods to Never Ever bring it back again*
    u wonder y there r stil ppl who didint beat wo1? ask no more
    in 3 we got more .. shield like weapons - deflector & cloak. imo good 4multiplayer
    guess I'm not the only1 who dorps All of these as soon as u get them
    anyway 4 the psp(only2shoulder buttons) - O(ring) 2fire and fire Again 2drop shield/autoP :
    Sqare 4back view.
    No boost - makes racing more even. Look @ 2097/xl tables!
    or just alittle bit like 10% of the shield on the Triangle button

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Actually, if the buttons are pressure sensitive then it could be pretty easy to accomodate Thrust without the need for another button.

It could be set up so that a normal button press just propels you forward, while pressing it really hard would give you the thrust thing from Wipeout 3.

Sadly there's no way it's going to happen, from what I'm told, so now that we've gone back to "turbo as a pick up" for two versions of the game, the genius of the system used in Wipeout 3 is probably lost forever.

*sigh*

How I'll miss that thrust button and the pit lanes.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I'ma go make a happy dance now brb!!

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Infox,

They got rid of the Pit Lanes?!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

erm... allegedly.

I'll get definitive answers to most of your questions very soon, hopefully.

Right now, I don't want anyones testicles to end up in a blender... so to speak, especially not mine(!), but soooooon we will know more.

You're right Fox, that system ain't never gonna happen. Not even becouse the buttons of PsP are digital only (except the directional buttons), but also that it is hard to use.
    Think of all these ppl who have no mercy for the buttons pushing them with all the power. It takes a LOT of practice to put the right amount of force onto a tiny circle button.
    Can you imagine how patient you'd have to be flying a TT, avoiding the walls, trying to keep the best racing line PLUS controling the speed with the method I talk about?......a nightmare.....
    I prefer the other method - PEDAL TO THE METAL!!! (and no analog buttons, analog sticks are used for that.....).