Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New "WipEout Pure" video up.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default New "WipEout Pure" video up.

I just checked IGN, and there is a new video of the WipEout game up.

At the beginning, it showed the name "WipEout Pure"

I like it...

As for the game...

IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/682/6...html?fromint=1

Enjoy everyone!

Thanks for the link, Vagrant.

Downloading it as I type this. Can't wait to check it out.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Thanks a lot! That makes my Friday mornig a lot sunnier than it already is. :) Since Wipeout Pure is in the video and has been used as a working title by Studio Liverpool for Fusion, I assume they are indeed the ones now working on the PSP WO?

EDIT: Whoops, hit "submit" too early.
    I think the game so far looks amazing, which is also due to the missing textures. ;) I have to say I somehow Ilike the flat, non-textured tracks. :) From what else can be seen, all I can say is that the physics to me indeed resemble W3O. Which I guess is a good thing. I only hope wall scraping is going to be different from the last PSX release. :)

Ben

Only 1 thing I did not like about this game - the floating, spinning circle thtough which the craft flew through. And dat's it. The game seems to have the floaty feel (especially visible when the ship lands onto a track after a jump), great engine exhaust (WOXL style), wide tracks, and whatever I haven't mentioned here and is worth looking at.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Maybe the circle is an effect they use as a filler to have something represent one of the weapons but will be changed during further development of the game.
    *pure speculation mode on*
    Maybe it's the new "road block" weapon. :)
    *pure spec mode off*

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Default For "insiders only", dammit!

"The content you requested is part of the IGN Insider subscription service"

So, I'd have to pay money to watch a freaking promo video? Ain't gonna happen. Is the video available elsewhere? :-?

---
    Edit: it seems that the Windows media file is freely available, while the Quicktime version is "more valuable" i.e. it's not free. Go figure... :-?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

That's odd.

I don't subscribe to IGN. And I bet neither do the other people who saw the video.

You have to click the lower bandwidth Windows Media version.
    Fear not though, it still looks good.

the promo video should be up on this site for free.
    someone needs to add it to the downloads section. :roll:

You can see the video for free btw, just not in quicktime, you will have to settle for crappy WMV.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by Angryman
    the promo video should be up on this site for free.
    someone needs to add it to the downloads section. :roll:
    Okay, I'll tell you again - just in case you didn't get me the first time. This site will only get content after it is available elsewhere - maybe not even then. I got no end of hassle due to using exclusive content when Wipeout Fusion launched, and I'm not even remotely interested in enjoying that hassle again.

See the image I used here?

I was given that image on a disk full of other images - so I used it. That image was also given as an exclusive cover pic to a german games magazine. So the person who gave the disk to me got hassle and in turn I got hassle for it, even though it wasn't my fault.

Do you think I want to risk that situation happening again? No frickin' way is your answer - not for your impatient ass and not for anyone else. I'll do what I can, when I can - I'll put content on the site when I'm given it and when it's been double checked that I'm allowed to do so, not before.

So you can stick the attitude and the rolling eyes smiley where the sun don't shine.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

OK, so now I've seen the free and crappy WMV version. And it looks promising indeed! I might have to start saving up for a PSP...

My only concern with playing Wipeout on a handheld console is that I tend to "lean into" the game a lot. It may bee too embarrassing for me to bring a PSP along on, say, a bus - risking that I fall out of my seat when the going gets tough... ops:

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Cool, cool, cool, did I mention cool! That looks simply fabulous and did I spy an Assegai!!! By the will you be able to connect a PSP to a PS2 in some way?

Watches video for 12th time

PSN ID
    stin_wz

This pictures looks awesome! Has anyone know about a price?

stin

Sorry fox, i didn't mean to piss you off.. and that rolleye smilie came out wrong.. i actually thought it was a cheeky grin.. for some reason it wasn't animating so all i saw was a half grin.. ops:

Using Ben`s "PSM" for a moment, early on in the video a WO3 Piranha appears, and several times receives a short boost. At least one boost it receives is caused by a speed pad, but at least one cannot be easily explained and may be the result of ...... hyperthrust.

I can`t tell from the video what the wall-banging and handling will be like, but it looks promising, and the game overall looks more and more like Wip3out 2. :roll:

disengage PSM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I also paid close attention to the "boost behavior", and I agree, there seems to be something quite similar to hyperthrust. It's definitely not the kind of turbo we had in WOXL, but something that makes you just a little faster on demand.

Plus, I thought about the walls. Somehow I can't imagine they are going back to Wipeout 1 with this aspect of the game. I am wondering, though, if they had a closer look at Quantum Redshift...
    For those who haven't played it: In QR you slow down if you hit a wall, but you'll easily continue to slide along it. On a personal note, however, I sure would miss wall scraping as we know it, since that's a huge part of what WO AG racing has been about for me.

OK, dropping out of PSM again. ;)

Ben

Hyperthrust wouldn't work very well on the PSP since it only has 2 shoulder buttons.
    You have X for accelerate
    Square - for Dump weapon
    circle - for use weapon
    Triange - change view, although you could use an alternate button to change view eg. Select
    And that leaves 2 shoulder buttons for air-brakes.
    Making Triangle the hyperthrust button would be impractical and uncomfortable so i doubt they'll go for that set up.
    Personally, i didn't like hyperthrust from W'o"3. :-?

one thing that botheres me is if the PSP buttons are analogue just like PS2 pad buttons.
    If so...well my gues is, that there is a pick-up turbo boost, but depending on the power put into pushing the circle button (weapon engage), it can be used either as something similar to hyperthrust, or a turbo-boost as we know it (by hitting the circle button at once). I'm just guessing tho. (and now to verify if the PSP buttons are analogue or digital)....

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I don't think what's shown in the video is a pick-up-and then-activate turbo as in XL. It seems to have only minimal effect on your speed. Maybe there was a speed pad, only they didn't have enough time to add those few more polygons to the track. ;)

And no, I neither like hyperthrust nor the idea that it's linked to shield power myself.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by Angryman
    Personally, i didn't like hyperthrust from W'o"3. :-?
    I Totally Agree! : I'd rather have a back view button instead of thrust!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I disagree with both of you - the thrust system that drained from the shield energy in Wipeout 3 was perfect for me. It made the game tactical in the use of shield energy - it made getting a good time a result of clever use of thrust, rather than "I lucked out and picked up two speed boosts on one lap".

True, the method cant be used on the PSP due to lack of buttons, but I'm disappointed to be going back to the pick up system. Wipeout 3 was an evolution and allowed for some do or die comebacks due to draining your shield energy.