Thread: Wipeout64 precursor to WO3 and cousin of WOXL?

Timezone
    GMT -5

Default Wipeout64 precursor to WO3 and cousin of WOXL?

Is WO64 a precursor to WO3 and close cousin to WOXL/97? I find the similarities in all.

It feels almost exactly like xl, with a little more forgiving scraping.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Play it on an emulator and the graphics are more easier on the eyes.

what Zoolander means by scraping is what happens when you lightly touch the track with the side of your ship, generating that fzzzzzt sound. I havent played 64 much since i dont like it too much, but its supposed to be a little more forgiving when you touch the track than XL, meaning you crash less and "scrape" more.

In this matter i have noticed that in XL scraping speeds you up sometimes if you are turning, but if you scrape in straigh line its probable that you lose some speed, am i right?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Mano
    In this matter i have noticed that in XL scraping speeds you up sometimes if you are turning, but if you scrape in straigh line its probable that you lose some speed, am i right?
    Not exactely, at least as far as I know. As long as you keep your nose in the wal, so to speak, you lose some speed, that's right. The trick is to hit the wall and then let yourself being "shot out" again. W3O(SE) shoots you out much stronger than XL/2097, but the effect is there in both games. So yes, when you fly into the wall as if using it in the same way an F1 driver would shortyl go over some curbs, you take the speed you gain by being shot out with you - which, if executed merely by accident, happens mostly in turns.
    Someone please correct my if I'm wrong. But that's as far as my experience with 2097 lasts.

Ben

Hmm i meant scraping without getting to collide completely with the wall... i wasnt sure of what i wrote either, i just saw numbers move when i turned, maybe i will try to make a video of it so i can check a lot of things... would save me some time in long term cos i make a lot of assumptions concerning speed gain and when i check back sometimes i see i was mistaken, or it was something else.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Don't worry, Mano, we are actually talking about the same thing. With "hitting the wall" I never meant to actually collide with it but to go "into" the wall and scrape the ship a bit.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -5

What I meant is the graphics look better in an emulator. I know about scraping the walls already.

Besides the scraping does anyone think this game is more like either XL/2097 or 3?

Like i said, i havent played much 64, but its definitely more like XL/2097.

W'O64 was a N64 version of Wipeout XL/2097, and that's it. I'd like to think it has got at least a tiny bit of W3O in it, but it seems it hasn't. That's my opinion.

most people here like wipeout 3 the most. I like 64 better. it's faster, better framerate and I like the scraping(not the turbo scrape into the wall thing on turns)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by vh5150
    Besides the scraping does anyone think this game is more like either XL/2097 or 3?
    it's more like 2097/xl

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

yes i agree W64=2097/Xl ( for the small time ive owned W64 : very major bug on most of the french version)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Now that I own the game myself:

Quote Originally Posted by Shem
    W'O64 was a N64 version of Wipeout XL/2097, and that's it. I'd like to think it has got at least a tiny bit of W3O in it, but it seems it hasn't.
    Not in terms of the flight/glide model, but there are various challenges, no overpowered craft (yes, the Piranha is in the game, but they changed a lot of what made it so distinctive in XL), they put in a female announcer etc.. I agree, the game is still much more XL than 3, but it very much looks like the designers of WO3 clearly took some advice from the N64 version.

Ben

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

ZOOLANDER.
    I'm a big WipEout 64 fan myself.