Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Wipeout 3 SE

Default Modifying Wipeout 3 SE

I wanted to get to play time trial, championship and single race with the prototype tracks, so I replaced the files contained in the folder called wipeoutc for the ones that were in the folder wipeout3. I expected to change the classic tracks for the normal ones, but instead of that what I got was these strange small ships without wings and with big reactors:

Code:
    http://ultraboard.topcities.com/ships1.jpg

http://ultraboard.topcities.com/ships2.jpg
    (sorry, you have to copy and paste the links, that server doesn't allow hotlinking)

Is there any official way to get these ships or did I just messed up something by changing the files? They look nice.

I also renamed some files from the wipeout3 folder, I changed track01 for track02, and it changed the tracks porto tora for sampa run. Sampa Run became the first selectable track and there was no rain. Porto Tora became the third track, and it was also raining:

Code:
    http://ultraboard.topcities.com/rain.jpg
    But finally I wasn't able to play time trial in the prototype tracks. I'll keep trying different combinations.

If you have the ablility to do that. Try replacing the regular ships with the prototype ships that are used on the last two prototype tracks. That would be pretty cool. 10 speed on the regular tracks, although i imagine they would be impossible to do perfect laps with.

whoa...this looks interesting...
    sorry to say it wasn't done on purpose (apart the purpose of playing all the modes on prototype tracks). but the result's just fantastic. it makes me wonder, ... if replacing such files results in wierd ships, tracks, and most of all NOT CRASHING THE GAME, then there must ba way to modify these...in a somewhat...planned way, if you know what i mean.... This really gives opportunities. Creating your own ships?...I'm not talking about modifying the circuits, it would be a hell to make new ones...but ships?...I think it is possible. Okay, I've said enough. The rest of this post would be about cracking the game 'n stuff, so I'll just stop here.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

is it a pc cd or a psx cd u modifyed?

The game I used was the special edition for ps1.

I've seen cheats for other games such as Ridge Racer or Colin Mcrae to make the cars become smaller or to add huge tires, so I thought that there could be a cheat for wipeout 3 to make the ships look different, but I didn't find any reference to that. Those small ships don't look wrong or spoiled, that's why I thought there could be a way to obtain them without having to modify the file names.

Another thing I tried was to use the tracks from the first wipeout on wipeout 2097 as they have the same structure and file names, and some are even the same files in both games. But it didn't work, the game hung up after the loading screen.

The engine of W'O was a basis to the one in WOXL but they were different. The engine of W'O was used in other games like Destruction Derby, Assault Rigs (call it the 1st generation of games for Playstation) so by the time of release of WOXL it was modified.
    What I'm trying to say is that these games couldn't match....

You're right Shem, but when I saw that many files were exactly the same I wanted to try anyway.

Now, there's one mistery solved, I've found the cheat to drive the small ships:

Enter the following codes on the default player name option:
    DROIDS = drive as rescue droid ships

Source: http://hem.passagen.se/odjobb/playstation/5582.html
    And I've finally found which files contain the prototype tracks and I've replaced them by the normal ones. I changed the 5th prototype for Porto Tora and now there are doves in the track:

Code:
    http://ultraboard.topcities.com/doves.jpg
    This one is beautiful, it's raining in the first prototype track:

Code:
    http://ultraboard.topcities.com/rain2.jpg
    And here i am playing time trial in the prototype tracks:

Code:
    http://ultraboard.topcities.com/ttrial1.jpg
    http://ultraboard.topcities.com/ttrial2.jpg
    Something strange happens when you replace the last two prototypes with normal tracks. You play the normal tracks with the special fastest ships, although they look like the normal ones. And when you play the prototypes, the ships are the special ones but with the abilities of the normal ones. So although they look like the regular ships, you can play any track with the special ships.

man, that's awesome!

how are you swapping the files?

are you running the game emulated from the hard disc or are you reburning the discs and playing through a chipped psx?

i dont quite understand...

¥

If you can reburn it that would be awesome. Also, if you can do this with wipeout fusion you could play zone mode on every track. You could also play the devilia tracks. And quite possibly you could use the zone ship on all of the tracks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Totally awesome, drool, fantastic, unreal.....play all the tracks with zone mode...
    Cobol, you can do this...in the name of overall competitors do it please , and tell us how to realize that.
    Need also more info with the famous special ship on SE : am i well understood? it's possible to play the fastest ship ( speed 10) on all tracks in changing folders of W3 SE ( you put the cd on your pc open the folders , change them a bit and play with an emulator like epsxe on your pc....right?)

Sorry, but I don't have a PS2 and I've never played Fusion, so I can't tell you anything about it.

Now, here's how to make your custom Wipeout 3 SE cd. It is the "quick" method, it means, no videos and no music tracks. Most cd burning software can't burn the ps1 video format. There is one program called CDGEN which can do it, but I'm still trying to find out how to burn both videos and audio tracks.

You will need:

- An original Wipeout 3 SE cd.
    - A cd burning program (Easy CD Creator or Nero will work).
    - An empty ps1 video file and wave file.
    - Isobuster.
    - Bootedit 2 (optional, only if you want to play on a console).

Put your original cd in your cd drive and copy everything to your hard drive except the files with extension .str and .wav. Now you have to download and unzip this file
    Code:
    http://ultraboard.topcities.com/required.zip
    which contains an empty video file and wave file to replace the ones you omitted. First, the video files. You have to copy and rename the file avi.str to the original file names. These are: CURLY44.STR, CURLY44B.STR, PSYG.STR, PSYGLEED.STR and WO3.STR. Then you have to do the same with the wave files. Copy and rename the file wav.wav to TRACK01.WAV, TRACK02.WAV, TRACK03.WAV, ... until TRACK13.WAV. The game will not have videos and music, but I'm learning how to include them using CDGEN.

You will notice that there are two folders called WIPEOUT3 and WIPEOUTC. I supposed that one would contain the tracks from Wipeout3 and the other would contain the classic tracks, but both contain the same files. I only switch files inside the WIPEOUT3 folder. Inside, there are two kind of files, the TRACKM0#.PBP type and the TRACKS0#.PBP ones. I don't know why there are two kind of files, the Wipeout 3 demo had only a TRACKS0#.PBP file.

Here's the track listing:

TRACK##1 : Porto tora
    TRACK##2 : Sampa run
    TRACK##3 : Hi fumii
    TRACK##4 : P-mar project
    TRACK##5 : Stanza inter
    TRACK##6 : Mega mall
    TRACK##7 : Manortop
    TRACK##8 : Terminal

TRACK##A : Prototype 1
    TRACK##B : Prototype 2
    TRACK##C : Prototype 3
    TRACK##D : Prototype 4
    TRACK##X : Prototype 5
    TRACK##Y : Prototype 6

The other files (TRACK##E.PBP to TRACK##Q.PBP) are the classic tracks, but I have not identified them since the WO3 tracks are enough for my purpose.

The prototypes 5 and 6 are played using the special fastest ships. If you want to play a regular track using those ships you have to switch the file names. For instance, if you want to play Mega Mall with a special ship you have to switch TRACKM06.PBP and TRACKS06.PBP to TRACKM0X.PBP and TRACKS0X.PBP respectively. And if you want to play time trial on the prototypes you have to switch the prototype track file name to a normal track file name.

One last thing. If you switch any file name to TRACK##2.PBP, there will be rain in that track. If you do the same with TRACK##4.PBP there will be pink tree leaves. And if you do the same with TRACK##1.PBP, there will be doves, although in some tracks I didn't see them.

Now that you have ripped the music and videos and once you have switched the file names, you are ready to create a cd image. Just drag and drop the files in your cd burning program as if you were creating a normal cd, but you have to change some settings: the cd mode must be set to MODE 2XA, and the file system must be set to ISO instead of Joliet. Then, don't burn a cd, you have to create an image file (.iso or .nrg).

After that you have to convert that image to .bin format using Isobuster. Run Isobuster and click on "file / open image file". Browse the folders and choose the image file you created. Once it's loaded you will see a tree menu on the left. Right click on top of it where it says "CD" and choose "Extract CD <image> / RAW (*.bin, *.iso)". A window will pop up asking for a file name to save the image. Then, when converting the file, it will probably report an error near the end (sector can't be read or something like that), don't worry, just click on "Selection" (the default option should be set to "replace with all zeroes"). Then it will say that there were errors and it will ask you if you want to delete the file. Choose NO, of course.

That new image file should work on a PS1 emulator using a virtual CD drive. I highly recommend using both an emulator and a virtual drive instead of burning a CD, that way you know if it works or not before wasting a cd. Some good virtual drives are "Daemon Tools", "Nero image drive" and a plugin for PS1 emulators called "Mooby2 cd disk image driver" (I use this last one).

If you want to burn the image to a cd and play it on a console, you must first license the image file. You will need Bootedit 2. To license an image click on the browse button (the one on the "cd image file" field, ignore the "tmd file") and choose your image file. Then choose the area (Europe, America or Japan). I suggest to delete the text in the fields "Licensing text", just leave it blank, since it isn't always displayed correctly. Now click on "patch cd image" and you're ready to burn it on CD. Obviously, it will only work if your console can read backup cds.

There's something that I haven't tried and I have no idea if there's any chance for it to work. You could boot your original Wipeout cd and once the game is loaded you would replace the original cd with the modified one. It's just a theory.

If I find a way to burn the cd including the videos and music tracks I'll post the explanation.

I have a question - is it possible just to replace the music tracks on Wipeout 3SE with the ones you like? I mean, it wouldn't be a problem if the lenght of the music tracks was the same or would it? I always wanted to play W3 with my own selectron of music, without turning the game music off and listening to my stereo of course.

i have a friend who djs in his spare time and has wip3out, with bgm switched off, playing through one channel of his mixer and music through another to gain a similar effect.

¥

yeah i used to do that too yuuusen. it was nicer with the xbox when you could make soundtracks that switched songs themselves, though.

I know what you're talking about yuuusen (I'm a producer and a DJ in my spare time also), but as you wrote - the method you've mentioned requires a mixer The other method is to swap the CD after the game is launched. Pause>swap to an Audio CD>Pause off>play. The one problem is, you can't hear the tracks from the start, it's pretty random also, the music tracks start somewhere in the middle, not to mention that the first audio track will be always skipped. heh, why am I saying this? sheesh..everyone tried that Audio CD-swap trick...(i guess)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

not me! :wink:
    i usualy turn off the music 2make records & allways 4get 2turn it back on.. :roll:

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

so how u doin cobol?

I have made images that include the videos but I still can't add the audio tracks. I create a cd structure but when I compile the image, the music tracks are omitted. I can't find what's wrong and the program doesn't have too many options.

I've been thinking about different ways to play with the fast ships on normal tracks and I think it could be possible to do using one of those action replay or gameshark devices.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Another thing I tried was to use the tracks from the first wipeout on wipeout 2097 as they have the same structure and file names, and some are even the same files in both games. But it didn't work, the game hung up after the loading screen.
    yes , there are some files with identical names, and even some of the .PRM files (where the geometry is stored) are absolutely the same for the 2 games. For example the "shld.prm"(c:\wipeout\common\) is the same for WO 1 and 2097(thats the shield's geometry) .If you swap these 2 files , WO 1 wont crash, and 2097 wont either. But i was curious and modified some files with HEX editor(like UltraEdtit-32). In the 2097\common dir there was a prm file with all the ships'geometry(i dont remember its name ) the different ships were separated by their names - for example it starts (i think) with:

"FEISAR П : (ф @) .........AGS П : (ф .... PIR П : (ф @) "

......and so on. Its a little difficult to see where a ship's geometry ends and starts another ship's geometry though. I copied the part where the quirex ship is, saved it like a single file, changed it filename to "shld.prm", and changed its beginnind to

"shield П : (ф @)......."

(thats the header of the file), so that the game thinks its the ordinary shield geometry(but its not ). i replaced the modified "shield" with the one in c:\wipeout\common\ and started the game
    when i took the shield, it wasnt with Egg-like form, it was the quirex ship stuck in my own Wo1 feisar This shows that the Wo1 and 2 geometry files are one type!

However, I couldn't manage to play with Wo1 ships on 2097 or with 2097 ships on Wo1.
    And i still cant really modify the ship's geometry (with 3dsMAX, for example).

All this works for the PC versions, but im certain it wil work with the PS1 ,too.

Umm ,someone mentioned about "Sony developing tools" , is that a piece of software, ot what ?(and where can I get it ) I wont crack the game, i dont know how . I Promise