Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: to Jay and George: new times

GASP
    Bravo, G'Kyl
    truly stunning

i must have a go at those when i'm next in the racing mood

---------

on another front: over the course of the last 2 years, i was unable to improve my time in Porto Kora SR. i watched in dismay as I, yes even I, who had once been in second place, dropped gradually off the top ten. down down down into twelfth. but a neGcon has appeared, and my racing spirit has fired up. last night i gave it a shot. moved up 6 places [easier than it sounds because so many people's times are so close]. yes, that still leaves me in sixth, but it's an improvement.

on a related note, everybody after fifth is one position worse than they ought to be because somehow there are two times listed for Leonardo Cruz. don't how that happened, but there it is. could one of them be removed, please? the hard part is that we have to find out which one is the correct one in order for things to be completely clear.

______

concerning XP vs Millennium, i received this from an ISP:
    Microsoft Corp. has recently notified the public that there
    currently are critical vulnerabilities in the Windows NT,
    Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 operating systems.
    We encourage you to promptly visit Microsoft's website at
    http://www.microsoftcom/security/sec...10_windows.asp
    and read their recommendations regarding measures you can
    take to address this vulnerability.

i don't see Millennium in that list.

Heh, you're right, I never noticed that. My best guess is that he forgot his password, and instead of emailing infox to get it, he reregistered. I know he's posted on the forums before, but I just don't remember his forum name.

Well, after looking, I'm pretty much 100% positive that's what happened, given he forgot the pass to his forum name as well (I just discovered zerodivide and zerodivide666 are both him).

And also, your link doesn't work, so I can't comment.

Even so, 1 NT kernel OS problem vs. many Win 9x problems. I could point to you many problems that 9x has that NT doesn't but I don't, because it says nothing of overall OS problems. A total number count of bugs and fixes would do a better job, though. I mean, that's kinda like saying a Porsche doesn't have cupholders, therefore a Pinto is better.

And for that, I have a very interesting little tidbit of 98SE vs ME (I need to find the email though, it's pretty funny)

i think the . is missing from microsoft.com, which would be why it didn't work. it was just there for a point in a joke, anyway, not for the actual fix.

sigh. [pines for his old Porsche]. my 1962 Porsche cabriolet was made before anybody was putting cupholders in minivans. before there were minivans. it was definitely better than a Pinto. i bought it in 1964. in retrospect, it seems crazy that i sold it after two years, but on the other hand, its replacement had good points, too. 25 percent faster, a passthrough to the trunk/boot that allowed the carrying of surfboards and bookshelf poles inside the car. that sort of thing. i kept it for nine years. it didn't have any cupholders, either.

concerning the superfluous time, i'm assuming that the slower one [which is still notably faster than mine, darn it] listed for Cruz is earlier and no longer valid, so it might be that we don't even have to ask Cruz about it in order to remove it. which only Rob can do. i'll contact him about this, and hope he has time to take care of it. it's no biggie, of course. hell, i didn't even notice it for a long time.

I have no idea if 2097 is faster on the slower speeds. I think, well actually I have no idea

in the competition between myself and Ben, it begins to look as if the ultimate times in vector and venom classes are pretty much identical in both 2097 and xl

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Yep, seems you were right from the start. There's little enought difference, if any, to call the two games compatible to each other. Good thing, that!

i thought they'd be close enough to be fun, but i didn't know that they would be thIS close.
    [we need a smilie 'party' icon like the one on the Opera browser forums]

btw, i've not felt like racing for the last couple of days and still don't. i just got up about 10 minutes ago. shoulda stayed in bed and slept some more.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Don't worry, your Sagarmatha times won't be in trouble until another aproximated 24 hours, either.

About close times: I really do have to say that I'm damn grateful to have found another dedicated Quirex pilot to compete over a few records. this is _great_ fun.

About smilies: I sometimes fear I use them a little excessively. but then again, who cares.

Alright, I know I didn't have much to say, really. Sorry. Everyone enjoy your night! I'll be of celebrating my relationship's first anniversary. :-)

Ben

congratulations on the anniversary. have many happy ones.

i, too am glad to have found another tough competitor.
    1:18.4

[this is equal to Arnaud's race time with a Piranha. the lap times for this race were 26.8, 26.0, 25.6
    my best individual lap times during the previous session to this one [about one and a half hours before] were 26.7, 25.6, 25.6. if i could do all of them together, that would be a 1:17.9, possibly making Qirex faster than Piranha for Talon's Reach Venom Time Trial. i truly believe that a sub 1:18 is now within reach of Qirex]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Impressive!!!
    I knew 1:18.x was possible, but .4 is amazing, congratulations, again! And yes, it must be a hoax of the designers to make Piranha only second best in at least ONE class. *gg*

Ben

Default an absolute race record held by Qirex against Piranha

new record on XL TR venom TT:
    1:18.0
    done with the Qirex
    laptimes were 26.6, 25.7, 25.7

my time is 4 tenths faster than Arnaud's 2097 Piranha racetime for this course and class. Ben holds the current lap record with a Qirex. so far, this is the only example in 2097/XL where absolute records for both laptime and racetime are held by Qirex against well-piloted Piranhas. i wonder why this is the case.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

It's because Talon's Reach is a mostly straight course. On such a course, the advantage of being able to Turbo outweighs the Pirhana advantage (of sharper turning and normally faster top speed). As long as you can maintain the speed of a Turbo in a tank like the Qirex, the Qirex is faster than the Pirhana.

It's just that there aren't many courses where you can do that.
    I'd expect that it would be close on Sagarmatha, but you'd have to not bottom out when you land the jump.

IMO its also because Talons Reach is a short course, and therefore a greater percentage of the race is completed with the aid of turbo. If TR was twice as long, but just as straight, the Piranha would probably regain the advantage as the Qirex would have to endure longer periods without the turbo that gives it the speed to beat the Piranha.

You and Ben are putting up some mighty Qirex times, Lance. Whatever ship I use, Piranha v Arnaud, or Qirex v you and Ben, I don`t seem to able to do better than about 1 second per lap off the lead pace. I think I`ve got one of those slow Playstations that were issued to UK gamers, as part of a global, but mostly US-French conspiracy to defeat UK pilots. :wink:

lunar, i think it's just the damp. Britain is far too wet; affects the electronics.

why only Venom class? in the other three classes, i've not been able to get anywhere near my Piranha times with a Qirex, whereas the opposite is true in Venom. very odd. i don't think this is just a personal quirk, and some support for that is found in Ben's performance and also in that Arnaud was able to instantly beat his own Piranha-held former lap record when he switched to Qirex.

well, even if it's only on one course in one class, it's a great day for the purple tank, in all its massive clunky glory. i have little doubt that Arnaud can beat this time, but i think he's going to have to do it in a Qirex!

I`m also quicker with Qirex than Piranha on that class/track, the only one where that`s the case. On the other three classes the speed difference between the two ships is too much for the turbo to make up the gap. Its just the way they programmed the ship speeds relatively closer on venom. Also on Rapier and Phantom the tank`s agricultural handling starts to become more of an issue, even on Talon`s Reach.

like a steam tractor, you say?

-------

i would have thought that there would be one master table of proportionate speeds for the ships, that would be referred to as the data were loaded for each race, or at least that there would be multiple copies of it, one for each set of race data, but something is clearly different about venom class on TR. maybe those of us who pilot both ships enough on all tracks will discover another situation like this.

[edit: Ben, my new Qirex times on XL TR Vector TT: 31.4, 1:06.8 ]

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    .i have little doubt that Arnaud can beat this time, but i think he's going to have to do it in a Qirex!
    not really sure, Lance ( after finishing introducing Sleh to others and i switch my ps1 on with 2097....and...) i have tied your qirex race time !! but with my Pirahna...
    27.0 / 25.7 / 25.3 ( lap 3 : miam miam ) so under 1.18.0 could be possible ... enter the challenge again?

btw it's week-end time and with entering Sleh times , an hidden force pushes me playing...can't resist to that appeal!! ( fortunately i can resist to that strange appeal during the week : job first !!)

(edit : 26.8 / 25.4 / 25.5 ----> 1.17.7 )

( edit 2 : 26.5 / 25.4 / 25.1 !! ----> 1.17.0 ) the airbrake tapping stuff is working even in venom, it really depends on how you are approaching and crossing the blue pads... under 1.17.0 ??

you are indeed the master of Piranha. congratulations on an amazing time. i already knew from my own best individual laptimes [apart from special attempts on the lap record] of 26.5, 25.5, 25.5 that a 1:17.5 is a definite possibility with a Qirex, and perhaps even a 1:17.0, but had no idea that Piranha could be that good in this class and course. the best Piranha time i managed last night was 1:20.2. i would love to have seen a video of your record, but better still would have been to be there while you do it. fantastic stuff! you have much to teach if only i could learn

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Thanks bud for aknowledgement! :wink:
    i ve spent 20 minutes trying to be under 1.17.0 but my ghost in front of me desesperates me with my first lap ( 26.5) so i went to Rapier class and also beat lap + race time ( before 16.8 / 1.09.3 ) now 16.6 and 1.08.4

Concerning the video it could be truly possible ( the video ive created for Al doesn't work at all!!) with a new system ( i need to change my old Sony 50Hz and add a VCR which allows Pal and NTSC but i am self confident for that before the end of this year: i have that target , my new job could permit that soon, i will explain to you what i am doing exactly in a PM i will send to you later :wink: )

you said ' if only i could learn : but you continue learning each time you are practising and it's the same for me....don't forget where you were at the end of 2003 without a Neg-con...so let the time to the time... you are young Lance with your new Negy!! Be patient... but i must say i am very proud of you because you represent what i would like to be in my future ( young spirit and a man i imagine always smilling )