Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am impressed with fusion...wipeout 3 sux!

Just gotta say,wipeout fusion is the best of the wipeout series...my personal opinion. i bought it yesterday and im almost done with the arcade mode.before i got the game i read in the forums that the game was full of bugs, so i was a little bit sceptic(do i spell this right?) before i tried it...but i was really impressed,this is the best racing sim ever,with wipeout 2097 on second place. i read on the forums that many of you are into wipeout 3, my opinion is that wipeout 3 is the worst of them all, it really sux.can anyone of u tell me whats so good about wipeout 3? i have the game but hasnt almost played it cause i dont like it...

riiiiiight

If you didn`t played wo3 how could you say Fusion is better :razz:
    I played a lot with all the Wipeout and I prefer WO3. I suppose we all have our own vision of Wipeout areas of interest. When develloper increase or decrease each of this aspects they make us happy or unhappy as well...

benjamin.... said: If you didn`t played wo3 how could you say Fusion is better.

i didnt post that i have not played wipeout 3, i have played it(read my post again benjy!)!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

WO3 does NOT suck!
    It's high-resolution, there's no boost (many see that as a negative, I find it much more realistic and an interesting improvement), there are twice as many teams as usual, each track is unique, there are four (4!) bonus tracks, it's timed to the _millisecond_, the challenges are _great_, and you can play it for days and days without totally finishing the game.
    Now, if you say you don't like the atmosphere, or the music, or the look of it, then I can see where you're coming from and I certainly can't argue with you. WOXL and WO3 may be in the same genre, but besides that they're totally different in _style_. Perhaps you don't like that style.
    However, the game, the game _itself_, does _not_ suck. In no way, shape, or form.

And that's _my_ opinion. 8 D

i've not played fusion yet, but i have some experience of the other three. WO3 seems to me to be the best even though i like all of them. the precision of control, the more believable graphics [and the really cool UNbelievable graphics of the four bonus prototype tracks], the greater number of teams, the greater difference of feel between each of teams' racers, the great music, the difficulty and interest of the tracks, the lack of bugs, the sheer completeness of the game...., all of this just adds up to the best of the pre-Fusion series. it also seems to have a greater ''internal logic'', a consistency with its own physics model and racing type [pure circuit] than Fusion does.

Task wrote : WOXL and WO3 may be in the same genre, but besides that they're totally different in _style_. Perhaps you don't like that style.

woxl(2097), i love it! its great! i think its the best of the pre fusion series.i dont know why i didnt like wo3 that much,but maybe its because i suck at it, i think its the hardest of the games, maybe i should try playing it more...but i dont like the atmosphere of the game. the graphics are very smooth though..when it comes to wipeout 2097, i am very good at playing it, played trought the fastest class, but wipeout 3 rapier class, thats a tough one! havent played it that much though, it didnt give methe "little kick inside" that 2097 and fusion does.but hey,we are all different

Task wrote : there's no boost (many see that as a negative.....

do u mean the boost at the start? in that case there are.but its easier with a dual shock controller(when the controller starts to vibrate, when u give thrust, keep it in the "vibrating area" until "go" and u get the boost! if that was what u meant though...

I think that Task talked about the hyperthrust.
    Boost as a bonus is unfair for making goodtime because its random.

For your post I was meaning that maybe you dont play enough to Wo3 but I`m not very good in english and sometimes i make mistakes :smile:

For 2097 / wo3 difficulty, there`s not much differents in my opinion, our opinion of game difficulty is affected by time we spend on it.
    I mean the first time i opened Rapier mode in WO1 I was certain that it was a kind of bonus non-playable mode, and I stopped to play Wo1.
    While I was playing to 2097 and wip3out I was still convinced that wipeout one was the most difficult because i didn`t even try to play it again... :smile:

Try a little harder on Wo3 this game is fabulous. By not doing so you miss as much as I missed while not playing to Wo1 rapier mode.

From my personal tastes, I think that the original Wipeout had the best track design, Wipeout XL/2097 had the best style/graphic design, and Wip3out had the best ships(and those wonderful prototypes).

If someone ever asked me straight up which one I liked best, I wouldn't be able to answer because I liked them all for different reasons.

If someone could just take the track design style of Wipeout, the graphic design of Wipeout XL/2097, and the ships from Wip3out, then my fav. Wipeout game would be born.

As for the music side, I liked them all, they all had different styles which I thought was good and fit that praticular Wipeout well.

When I first bought WO3 I hated it. In fact I got rid of it soon after. Of course, I need the full collection, :smile: so I bought it again a few months ago, and I've really warmed up to it. It does play very well.

I don't like the graphic style or the music as much as the previous two, but that's really all just aesthetics and comes down to personal preference. (except I think most can agree the font isn't well suited to a television display)

The only real faults I can find in the gameplay are the hyperthrust (I hate having to watch and nurture my shield strength for more speed - it becomes less of a thrill and more of an annoyance) and certain sections of track, such as all of P Mar.

And for the record, I get a lot more glitches and bugs in WO3 than WOXL.

WOXL remains my favorite (I'll wait to pass judgement on Fusion), but give WO3 another shot. It's not so bad.

WO3 is so good I bought it twice (I'm gonna keep this one in mint condition so as to be able to play it 30 years down the line)!

WO3SE is even better though I doubt you can find it anyway now. Like a refined WO3.

WO2097 for me isn't as good as WO3. If it had analogue control maybe I would have a better opinion... but it still seems to be missing something which I can't quite put my finger on. Still... it was my first taste of wipeout so i can't fault it. :smile:

confusion: i bought wipeout 2097 twice, now i dont have(sold it some years ago with my ps1) it and cant find it in shops anywhere :sad:

the last track on the original wipeout is soooo much harder than the others....

Wipeout 1 does look harder... some of the tracks taht were ported over to WO3SE like Arridos VII were too bloody hard!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

The hardest WipEout track ever is LS4 Prototype at Phantom in WO3. Compared to this, Silverstream is just a piece of cake.
    I still haven't played Fusion though. :cry:

the circuits in WO1 look to me a lot like present-day highways meant for cars, except for the jumps. maybe this is why some pilots favour them, because it's like driving a vehicle of the future on something we're familiar with.

Confusion: WOXL does have analoge control, and so does WO1. You just need an NeGcon. :smile:

the in-game graphics, playability, and skill involved are what make WO3 such a great game, despite that everything else about it is pretty mediocre by the wipeout series standards.
    btw, once you get the hang of it, hyperthrust adds a whole new dimension of skill to trying to reach record times. i will miss it sorely, assuming fusion ever makes its way to my neck of the woods...

i agree with joel about hyperthrust. the fact that it's limited plus the high level of its effectiveness adds a great level of tactics to the game. the more elements there are to balance against each other in a game, the more interesting it can be. combining with the random weapon pickups gives a continual set of choices to make in WO3 and makes every race a real challenge to doing your best, to achieving the fastest times.

using all the shield energy that you can before the end of the race leaves you on pins and needles hoping to make it to the finish line without touching a wall or being hit by a lapped competitor. one hit on the weak shields and you're gone just as you thought you were going to get a time a whole half a second ahead of your times tables nemesis. oh, the adrenaline rush of hyperthrust!

the challenge of coming up with really great times would be even more intense if you could take yourself down to say, 1% energy with hyperthrust. the pits would have to be more effecient, i.e. youd pick up more shield as you went through them. that would make for overall faster race times and exponentially more difficult races, as the laps would be faster overall, and significantly more dangerous!