Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ---the obligatory GT4 thread

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

Default ---the obligatory GT4 thread

As you all know, I am a racing freak. A sucker for anything with tyres. A Motorsport Mentalist.
    I got the promo DVD of GT4 yesterday, and to show my utter appreciation for it, I have ordered a "winter racing pack" asian NTSC white PS2, a GT4 mem card, GT4 prologue, R: racing evolution, and pre-ordered GT4.

As my friends know, I like to do things without realising the consequences first. But thats what gives me the vague feeling of being alive. Or just being plain old-fashioned stupid.

In short, the attention to detail in GT4 blew my mind. The tight twisty italian street track (I think it translates as "city in the sky" is awesome!) I have no idea about how they expect the programmers to code the 50+ tracks and 500+ cars in this much detail, but I am drooling to find out!!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

That's insane, Thrusty!

I remember your take on it from the PlayStation Experience, where you said the AI was still gash. I'll definately be buying it for the online play, however, if it's going to be full price at launch and the AI is poor, then I'm quite content to wait until it turns up cheaper after a month or so.

I've paid for the same game and same AI three times now with Gran Tourismo, there's no way I'm shelling out again for what may be nothing but a track and car patch for GT3.

If it was all about the graphics then we'd all have traded our PS2's for XBoxes long ago.

Still, time will tell - maybe they're still working on the AI.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

From that dvd I was watching, it actually showed PACK RACING!!!!!!! which is unheard of for a GT game. All 6 cars, together, battling for positions. It also showed the AI slipstreaming the player car. From what I have seen, the AI has been vastly overhauled, even from the version which was at the PSExperience. I think GT4, when released, will be the perfect racing sim. Of course I will let you know how it plays when I get the system - which should be monday.

I dunno why but I just dont feel that PS2`s should be online. I have broadband and a nice uber-spec PC, but I have absolutley no inclination to put them together with my PS2. I suppose network gaming is just like raspberry pudding with gravy. Gorgeous entities in their own right, but when combined, causes all sorts of horrible, gooey complications.

I remember the over-enthused column writer saying that at certain points the prologue game really slows down, especially when you have more than four cars on the screen, which is a bit worrying, but we have been told that it will be all sorted in the full release of GT4. I suppose the reason that I decided to get an asian system is because they get all sorts of titles that us euro peeps just dont have the opportunity to see! Its not as if there isnt an audience for a racing game in the UK, i know for a fact there is, and a huge one at that, but we are still denied GT2000 and GT4 Prologue, as well as tons of other weird titles, especially the whole world of bemani. I mean, its not as if we dont pay for the privilege here in the UK, just take that PS2 I ordered. Thats one limited edition console, two games, one limited edition memory card, a step-down power converter and express delivery for 200, and 50 of that was just for the delivery! Superior quality for stupid prices.

Default ...

Whoa.You actually got the white PS2?

My friend told me to get it but of course it doesnt come fully modded so I got the SCPH-50 006+ model instead.But on the topic at hand,hey,they have the GT4 Prologue over here but I just want the real version when it comes out.I was tired of the GT series by the time they had the Tokyo updates so I hope and I do hope,that the final product blows me away..as did the pics on most reviews and mags did.

Im looking forward to GT4 but considering all the other great titles that come out this year I dont think I'll buy it on release.

Speaking of asian games
    Been playing a lot on the dreamcast lately, where you can easily find good japanese titles and it has inspired me to mod my ps2 to be able to import games from asia. I just have to play Mojib Ribbon! The style in that game is awesome and it looks like a lot of fun writing japanese and having it pronounced at the same time.. the voices of the teddybears,robots etc that write the words are so cool

I want a modded gamecube so i can play this:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault...ykonga_jp.html

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

It would have been a lot easier for me to just get a modchip for my PS2 to play imports, but I want this system to play the game 100% right every time. I still havent got my system yet because my bank in the UK refuse to send funds to hong kong, for some reason only known to themselves.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

Default Got my import PS2!

Got an asian system so I can use the UK power supply with no probs.
    GT4 Prologue is excellent, but small! Only 5 circuits and 55 cars. Tho that choice of cars is very diverse, you start with a datsun 240Z, move up to the powerful japanrse muscle cars like Mitsubishi EvoViii MR, past the mclaren gtr, and stop just after something called a Toyota Motor Triathlon Race Car, which is as crazy as it sounds. Its is an electric open-wheeled rally car.

Attention to detail is, as always, superb.
    AI is improved, because the cars will fight. Only thing is, no matter what car you choose, you will always leave them standing, so the AI will quite happily battle itself for 2nd place. This needs to be addressed for GT4!
    Sound and engine noise much improved from gt3.
    Overall, not worth spending 150 on. But hey, GT4 will only cost me 26, and I can now play all other imports months before they are released here.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

It's the same old same old with the AI then, I guess.

I hate the fact that it isn't a challenge - we get given such crap in racing games for the most part, either cheating elastic band AI like in NFS Underground, or AI that races slightly below your level, as in Burnout 2.

Actually, Burnout 2 is so close to being decent, but it looks like they're ruining it for Burnout 3 and putting in tons of cheese stuff to cater for online play. Shame, as that's when my interest in the series will die, as it already has done for NFS.

...... .......

I WANT DONKEY KONGA TOO!!!!!!

Japanese TV ads are MENTAL!!! I LOVE IT!!! I don't know what this guy is screaming about, but I don't care as long as it's WICKED!!!! Science, thanks for that link, I laughed my arse off while I was watching it over and over again
    JAPAN FOREVER!!!!!
    Peace out!