Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Wipeout is coming

Online play is the KEY feature i want to see in the next WO, assuming that they get the fundamentals right this time around. My PS2 would always be running, just waiting for the next competitor. I can't imagine anything cooler than getting a chance to play against some of the members here. Hopefully they will get all of the versions to play the same so that we can play each other from across the pond...N. American, European, Japanese, whatever. I simply cannot stress how important I think universal online play is since the technology is readily available. I also think it would boost the fanbase for WO dramatically.

That would be a good reason to buy the broadband adapter! I wonder if they are going to hire tDR for some of the art or let them pitch like with Fusion.. If I remember correctly they refused to do it... Even if it was selfcentered Good Technology just doesnt cut it.. They are so influenced of so many styles it feels like they didnt bother finding their own. Or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by science
    BTW faB, I tried to get some ghost file sharing going via the internet a couple of years back... it kind of fell through.
    were you trying to use X-Port to do this? It would be excellent to get this going so we could race against each others` time trials. Of course you need an x-port to do it, but they`re not all that expensive.

I was using a device called a DataDeck. Mad Catz put them out to compete with InterAct's DexDrive. Unfortunately, I never got the damned thing to work right on my computer, so the idea fell through. I haven't tried hooking it up to my new computer, though. I get the feeling that it won't work at all with Windows XP, since the drivers are designed for older Windows systems. Seems like the older the software, the more likely it is that you will have to get updated drivers for XP, and all of that stuff is discontinued these days.
    I suppose I could try it though, if anyone wants to make another attempt at getting that going...

lunar: What is an X-Port, and who made it?

Its pc software that uses USB to connect to your PS2, and it really works. You can then use your pc to copy saves, replays, whatever, to and from your memory card. I don`t know if it reads PS1 memory cards, I haven`t tried it, but even if not we could easily copy ghosts onto the PS2 cards which it would then read, upload them to a website (hint hint :wink: ) and then race against each other. Or we could just email ghosts to each other. Costs £16.99 over here from Play.com (same as 1 memory card) and is also essential for all Pro Evo Soccer players. Also saves masses of eye toy movies without owning hundreds of memory cards. I just need a 5m usb lead so I can keep it permanently plugged in.

I looked into it abit. looks like its about 40 buckeroos here. I'll pick up that datadeck to see if it works on my new PC. We still wont be able to play from across the pond, though... although Al probably could since he's got a PAL system.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

If enough people are interested I could create an upload system for this type of file. It would be a PoP and I could just store them with a reference to your user ID.

Having said that, the original MadCatz idea didn't take off too well, even if it is a very good one.

It might have taken off, i just never got the damned thing to worK! We'll try it again

I`m not sure racing against Al`s ghost ships would be very encouraging for me. It would be instructive.... for about 4 seconds until he disapeared around the first or possibly second corner.

Infox,first of all thanks for all the work on the tables, it looks great. Regarding a ghosts section I would definitely participate, but there wouldn`t be much point you doing the work unless there`s a quite few of us with the kit to upload ghosts, so we`ve got all sorts of tracks and standards of competition to choose from.

Any other X-Ports or similar out there?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default Ghost Idea

This ghost technique could open the door for open emulator use!
    If those of us who might use an emulator (Mainly for Wip3out SE) uploaded our save file, we would have a way of verifying the times via a ghost save.

That's just my 2 cents

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I haven't got any kind of PSX-to-PC device, but if Joel there can find one that works then I can definitely invest in one.
    I could race Mr. Manortop there on his own turf, see just how long I can keep up with him... That would rock!

Yeah, I'd be all down with that, and stuff.

Default Re: Ghost Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant Logic
    This ghost technique could open the door for open emulator use!
    If those of us who might use an emulator (Mainly for Wip3out SE) uploaded our save file, we would have a way of verifying the times via a ghost save.

That's just my 2 cents

great idea!!!, i could finally start racing for some times if this could be available!!

Quote Originally Posted by Task

I could race Mr. Manortop there on his own turf, see just how long I can keep up with him... That would rock!
    Geeze, I really need to get some times up so I can kick that name.

I will have an answer as to whether or not the datadeck works in the next couple of days.
    This is exciting! I hope it works this time!!!

Wow, that's a great idea.
    However i don't think that emulated W'O mesures the time exactly as if it was played on PSX, the same as with other issues concearning emulation. Maybe I'm wrong, if so, tell me about it.

im one of the few people who own one of those interact Dex Drives, but isnt ghost mode in wipeout3 a time trial exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxZero
    im one of the few people who own one of those interact Dex Drives, but isnt ghost mode in wipeout3 a time trial exclusive?
    yes, ghost saves are timetrial exclusive.
    Fox, what kind of computer do you have and what operating system is it running? If it's XP and your DexDrive works, then we may have a plan of action.
    I got my datadeck and hooked it up today. No dice. The program doesn't see it on the COM port. I'm sure that it would need new drivers, and considering that this thing has been discontinued for years, I may as well take it out back and shoot it (which I have been known to do with faulty electronics : )
    get back to me about the DexDrive. I'd really like to make this work.
    BTW, does anyone have an X-Port? if so, are they compatible with PS1 saves? I can't seem to find any info on those damned things anywhere!!!

i got drivers that work in windows xp. any specific tracks you want me to save? also, anyone know if NTSC saves will work with PAL people?

All I can say is w00t!

Ah, this is what I get for hardly visiting the forums!

I succesfully copied my 2097 save from ps1 card - ps2 card - pc, via x-port, and there`s no reason why you couldn`t go back the other way. When I get a chance I`ll try and go directly to the ps1 card and see if this works.

On those successful notes, I'm moving this conversation to a new topic with an appropriate title.