Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Wipeout is coming

Z: I just wanted to dispel any idea that I thought I might be eligible to get the job. Of course I`d do it, for the right terms and conditions of course. :wink:

If the rumour`s true they need a mean pilot and who`ll break the game quickly to make sure its that its tough for good players and not released with as many holes in as fusion. Better testing might have sorted out a lot of its problems, and if those in charge knew they were there and left them in anyway then : (there I go again on the fusion thing, again, sorry ops: )

It was a good game in many ways (a lot of the track design and zone mode) and I loved it for a while, but in the end it only served to get me back into the real thing, and I`ll always remember it for that.

Man, I'd depressed if i were a developer of Fusion reading your post Lunar
    But apart that, "true, ..... true...."
    I wouldn't like to be a Beta tester for instance. Too much resposibility....

the responsibility wouldn't all be on one beta tester; you need several different sorts of people to scope out all the possible mistakes. beta testing is fun, and it's satisfying to make a contribution to the end product. i haven't done any on videogames yet, but i'd like to

I only have one tip of advice for the next wipeout game.

Just be like

"hey, well atleast a fter fusion we can't make it any worse"

so with that said. They should just make Wipeout XL-2. Keep the dark/futuristic feel, with the blue thrust, barely any weapons, responsive controls, fast speed and tight tracks. mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    ...and I loved it for a while, but in the end it only served to get me back into the real thing, and I`ll always remember it for that.
    Sounds like an old girlfriend!!!

i agree with AscheXL about making it more futuristic looking, though i would prefer that about half of the tracks be bright and half be dark.

an odd thing about WO is that the second one is the most futuristic one, the third is noticeably in the future, but looks like an extension of present suburban culture, but the really odd part is that the original game looks more to me like it's further back in time than we are, sort of an immediate post-World War II but with anti-grav look. but i'm probably the only one who thinks this

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default hmmm

I see what you mean, Lance.

By far though. 2097 is the most futuristic.

But where does Fusion lie? (like it matters)
    Meh, if they plan to take WipEout back to it's roots.
    Someone should let Tim Wright know about this. Just think if he could get back into it. Doing new music for the series would be nice!

Also, like some other people commented, they should keep engine trails to one color (Blue IMO). I don't think there will be 6 or so different flare standards.

Hope that made sense!

I really don't know what developers are up to, but I hope that some of them read this forum to know, what we would like to see in the new Wipeout. Heh, there's a question for all of you - is there any evidence to claim that developers acctually read this forum?
    Lance, you're a site moderator, do you know something about it?

Zargz, in the magazine. I could scan it but i doubt it would be useful since its in swedish.

Yeah theres been developers reading these forums, look at the credits in WIpeout Fusion and youll find a special thanks to Infoxicated and fans at Wipeoutzone.com or something like that. It should be evidence enough

Lance , theres several open and closed betas of mmorpgs and similar games going on.. The closed ones useally arent that hard to get accepted on.. Youll prolly be accepted sooner or later.. But..With a 56k connection that might be hard. In 2-3months from now ill have a game/demo ready and it would be very fun to share it with you.. then youd be a beta-tester not in a grand scale.. but still

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

I know its a one-in-a-million shot, but i would definatley be willing to haul butt to liverpool to be a tester.
    Getting paid to play games would be heaven on earth, and having a say in how they can be improved would be the icing on the cake!

The tricky thing about WipEout is that when it was created, it made its own genre.
    It had many imitators, but wipeout always remained the innovator, which made it special.
    I dont know if there is anything you can add to a perfect series of games, so the only way to make another title is to create a mix-up of all the best bits. But that in itself is a contradiction to what made the game special in the first place, its originality.

Fusion is the perfect amalgamation of wipeouts, but it just felt too over-enthusiastic for its time. Now scee have hopefully learned how to harness the most power they can from the ageing ps2 platform to produce an even faster game.

My advice is KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

and ps.
    no flamethrowers or loops, please? :wink:

yeah, even tho Fusion didnt entertain me for as long as Wip3out or Wipeout2097 did , the day when I came home with a press copy of Fusion it felt like christmas.. Booting the game for the first time after the long wait ( remember those delays? ).. I played till my eyes hurt hehe. All things in wipeout fusion arent that bad.. Temtesh bay was a fantastic track except the cave-part.. with Wip3out physics it would be even better. And that track.. forgot its name.. the one that was in the demo and in Al's video. The concept of having multiple routes on different locations instead of just one track per location was good. Some ag-craft designs were very nice too ( Feisar, EG-R, the unmodified XIOS ) Tigron felt kind of immature tho..The ice track was very cool too except for the freeform area with the trees.

shem, at least a couple of the Fusion developers are members of the WipeoutZone forums.

wamdue: yeah the 56k would be very limiting. please tell me more about that game/demo as soon as there's news

fusion was fun for a little bit, but you know what frustrated me about it the most? when i got fed up with it, i went back to playing wo3, and it was like racing in stop-motion animation. the framerate on fusion is soo much better. going from ps2 down to ps1 hurts...

thanx for the info Lance - I'll try not to say harsh words on Fusion since now
    And as for the beta testing, I've heard lots about peoples entusiastic approach to this issue. All in all you have to consider beta testing more as a job than fun. Why's that u ask?
    After all, playing a game on and on is ok if you play a good game. In this case U Don't know if it is a good game or not, but at least u try to make it better by making suggestions about lots of things. Right? I guess so.
    My point is - if u play this game lets say, ... 8 hours a day, every day, there's no way U'll love to play it, considering that this game is full of bugs that u have to locate, considering that this is your job, (supposively a fun job, but defenitly a hard work).

yes, it iS hard work, but it is also fun and rewarding. like playing F355

Yeah I remember reading some beta-testers diary or similar.. He absolutly hated it. Imagene playing a game for as long as you guys say and when you run in to a bug youll have to write down exactly when, and exactly what you were doing/ had done during the game to get there. And then start over, or spend half of the day trying to do stuff like get on the roofs of buildings you arent supposed to only because you know there is players out there who actually does that kind of stuff. I think beta-testing would prolly destroy the way I look at games / gamers today I i were to work as a beta-tester.

Default Interesting.....

This news is very exiting but didn't they say the same thing about fusion??
    "Fusion will be more like 2097" etc....etc.... and look how that turned out.
    I think they should return to the old formula of wipeout, a simple, fast paced and exiting ARCADE game, keep the physics from Wo2097 and Classes, ie vector, phantom...etc.
    If they want to go for such an extreme racer they should release a new ROLLCAGE and not mess with the Wipeout formula.
    anyhway.. hope the game turns out good and playabe.

Let's have some real tracks, and no silly obtsacles in the middle of the road. Things like pillars right in the middle of the road in some WO Fusion tracks, it makes no sense in a real formula one race, it makes no sense in a futuristic 'AG' racer either, imho. On the other hand,
    90 degree turns or pitfalls like in Manor Top / W3OSE are consistent with the fururistic Anti-Grav. racing.

I personally like the Auto Pilots. THey add to the strategy, it takes skill to use them at the right time, they can drive you right into a wall if you dont disengage it manually at the right moment. It;s not cheap at all. It does make it a little easier, but in a good sense : relieves some stress when you are going for the final lap and you are battling to keep 250% concentration !!

I Agree with 'Keep It Simple'

Most silly and obvious possible so-called 'improvement' would be adding choice of 'driver', and improvemento of his stats during a tournament., and improvement of the vehicle. B-O-R-I-N-G. This will just water down the level of the game I think.

Internet play would be nice, but not all that fancy. Best is to be able to get other people's times, and download their 'laps' as 'ghost races' to compete against. What happens if you lag a lil bit in a Phantom race ?

online play *is *a *MUST with the next wipeout. I can't imagine why they would leave it out. Broadband connections are fast enough to handle it these days, and there are ways to correct for lag. I would be utterly disappointed if we didn't see online play in the next wipeout.
    BTW faB, I tried to get some ghost file sharing going via the internet a couple of years back... it kind of fell through.
    Let me restate my thesis here...
    INTERNET PLAY IS A MUST!!!

(you think that was clear enough?)

PSN ID
    stin_wz

science quoted: INTERNET PLAY IS A MUST!!!

That would be cool and hopefully we can compete to these guys and we can learn from them also us too.

It would be a good experience but wait and see what happens.

stin