Thread: PS5 release and price,sold out in Aus in 3.5 hours

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Default PS5 release and price,sold out in Aus in 3.5 hours

I was up at 6.00am this morning watching the Sony LIVE presentation.
    Once the price and release date was shown at the very end, I got to pass the info around at another forum

While I was posting [7.30am] I got several alert emails saying PS5 preorder was now up and running.
    By the time I had finished my post [15 minutes once links were embedded], I got another alert that all available preorders have been filled at one vendor, and by 1.30pm all available PS5's available for pre order have been taken Australia wide.

I knew there was a small initial build being done to cover release worldwide [6 million], but I have no idea what Australia has been allocated, it would seem 100K-150K units.

Anyway, it seems demand is astronomical.

I'm happy to wait till the REAL PS5 titles are released, and take advantage of the consoles use of them, which I expect wont be till at least late 2021 / mid 2022.
    The other factor stopping me being interested in the PS5 is the very low HD capacity ......It's just not worth buying with a 850GB HD.
    The PS5 can be upgraded, but the HD's needed to upgrade +2TB would cost the price of a Disc version PS5....Aus $750

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Holy **** those game prices. Glad i've made my switch to PC years ago and thanks steam for Regional pricing!

F1 2020: 38 euros on Steam

F1 2020: 62 euros on PSN

Says it all.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Wipeout 2097 on CD back in 1997 was Aus $97.00.
    FFVII 3 Disc CD was AUS $100 same year, was on special.
    A PSOne was AUS $499 back then as well.
    All relative I suppose.

Nothing has really change.

The PS2 was more expensive at launch that the PS4, the original BC PS3 was as well.

Yeah The PS5 takes it to new levels, and TBH I don't think it's worth it, all your getting over a PS4 Pro is faster loading times, it's been built more for the game developers than the players.
    Although why PS5 games are going to cost 15% more than the PS4 version escapes me.
    When you consider that if you were to pre order a disc version of a new PS4 game, it will usually be 20%-30% cheaper than what a pre order will cost for the same game from the PStore, in Australia it's usually around $78 compared to $100.
    When you add another 15% on top for a PS5 version of the same game, pre order disc versions of PS5 games are currently around the $120 mark, they will be around $140+ pre order from the PStore.
    That's a huge mark up, and totally unjustifiable

Why would you buy a disc-less version of a PS5, you are giving Sony a monopoly on game prices

But the biggest problem with the PS5 isn't just it's selling price,and the game prices, it's it's HD capacity and the cost to upgrade it ,that's a far bigger problem.
    It's not just a problem, it's an Achilles Heel.

PS5 games HAVE to be on the internal HD, the USB port is only so you can have PS4 games stored on a external USB HD.
    A 2TB USB3 external HD costs $99 here in Australia.
    A 2TB M.2 HD of type used in the PS5 costs $750, which is the same as what the disc version PS5 costs
    2TB won't last you long either
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 17th September 2020 at 06:39 PM.