Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NO new WipEout game announced with PS5, sadness ensues

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    People with talent are more than capable of working with existing material, expanding it and doing it justice, as can be witnessed in the rest of the entertainment industry.
    Imagine unironically thinking this.

Hey, I'd be glad to be proven wrong and be surprised with a banger new WipEout game (as long as it is no PS5 exclusive - which is already the first problem - as I won't waste my money on this piece of modern art). Hell, even if it was a PS5 exclusive I'd be glad, as there would finally be activity in this forum beyond "wHeN's a neW WipEOuT goinG tO haPPeN" which the legacy of the old games would profit from.

But realistically thinking, arcade racing is a dying franchise. Can you think of any lasting release in the recent years that actually cultivated a fanbase and was not a financial flop?
    Most likely """new""" WipEout we could get would be Omega Collection Remastered(TM), half-assed together by some studio we never heard about and that don't care about the games either.
    But given the general direction of the gaming industry and Sony by all means not being one of the brightest companies in regards of how to make yourself popular, a new genuine WipEout title would perhaps not really be that much of a thrill.

We don't need it anyway, as we have BNG.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

meh, we have BallisticNG, been playing it a little bit lately. It's on sale for $4 on Steam & there's a new expansion coming out very soon. It's good enough.

If there would be a new wipeout, it would be a ps5 exclusive 99%, so i'll prolly won't buy a ps5 just to play it. PS4 was a major disappointment for me, the only game i've spent time with is omega collection, and since then I've since switched to PC full time & sold 90% of my PS4 games & rebought it for PC

Only thing i would hope for from Sony that's a bit more realistic than ps5 wipeout on PC is Omega collection on PC for that 240 FPS experience & free online and even then, that's extremely unlikely, but hey, they're porting horizon zero dawn to PC, so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Well, Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool don't exist anymore, so that's very unlikely to happen. And IF it somehow would happen, the result will most likely be far removed from its heritage.
    SL fanboy much? Don't forget they made Fusion & 2048. So it's not like if SL makes a game, it'll be a instant 10/10 like what you're trying to act like. Back then, everyone was hoping for mirror's edge Sequel, it was announced that DICE would make it (who also made the original) there was a **** ton of praise for it, then it got released 3 years later, and a **** ton of people were massively disappointed with it. So, what if SL still existed and made the next wipeout? (The company you're praising so much) And it becomes a huge disappointment? What would you say then?

Before you try to say it will most likely be a huge "downgrade" At least wait and see how the gameplay is like... IF it ever happens

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Imagine unironically thinking this.

Hey, I'd be glad to be proven wrong and be surprised with a banger new WipEout game (as long as it is no PS5 exclusive - which is already the first problem - as I won't waste my money on this piece of modern art). Hell, even if it was a PS5 exclusive I'd be glad, as there would finally be activity in this forum beyond "wHeN's a neW WipEOuT goinG tO haPPeN" which the legacy of the old games would profit from.

But realistically thinking, arcade racing is a dying franchise. Can you think of any lasting release in the recent years that actually cultivated a fanbase and was not a financial flop?
    Most likely """new""" WipEout we could get would be Omega Collection Remastered(TM), half-assed together by some studio we never heard about and that don't care about the games either.
    But given the general direction of the gaming industry and Sony by all means not being one of the brightest companies in regards of how to make yourself popular, a new genuine WipEout title would perhaps not really be that much of a thrill.

We don't need it anyway, as we have BNG.
    Seriously? I remember talking to Notenoughred (who was the producer, i think) for omega. He seemed very passionate about the remaster, used to answer a lot of questions, took feedback, etc etc. Saying that clever beans & EPOS don't care about the games seems a bit too much.

Half-assed? They put more effort into this remaster than 99% of the remasters out there, most remasters just do a slight resolution bump from 720p to 1080p and call it a day, and most of them don't even increase the texture resolutions for the games, so you'll be seeing the same low quality like textures in the so-called "remaster"

For omega they increased the texture resolutions, fixed some bugs from the old versions, added 2 new ships and a VR mode, etc etc. Again, more effort than 99% of the remasters out there
    Last edited by Racingfan; 28th June 2020 at 08:21 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I don't praise SL at all - I praise Psygnosis
    Look, I'm not saying someone new can't make a good new wipEout game. I just don't think it's gonna happen without people who are REALLY passionate about it, and it wouldn't hurt to have some of the old DNA in there by having people like Lee Carus and Colin Berry on board. Fat chance that's gonna happen, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    Welp if they did, I'd dig it if they started by remaking the original. There was something out of this world about it, it really set the tone for making each entry have it's own dreamy atmosphere. It would be pretty trippy to revisit.
    THIS. A thousand times yes. As much as I loved 2097 and w3oSE, the original had a flair to it that is hard to compare to anything else out there. Gloomy, dark, kind of Blade Runner-ish, but still dreamy and positive in a way. I would absolutely LOVE to have that exact game remade with new models, track geometry and textures on a modern engine. Maybe refine the physics a bit But keep the OG soundtrack!

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

I don't praise SL at all - I praise Psygnosis
    Look, I'm not saying someone new can't make a good new wipEout game. I just don't think it's gonna happen without people who are REALLY passionate about it, and it wouldn't hurt to have some of the old DNA in there by having people like Lee Carus and Colin Berry on board. Fat chance that's gonna happen, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

THIS. A thousand times yes. As much as I loved 2097 and w3oSE, the original had a flair to it that is hard to compare to anything else out there. Gloomy, dark, kind of Blade Runner-ish, but still dreamy and positive in a way. I would absolutely LOVE to have that exact game remade with new models, track geometry and textures on a modern engine. Maybe refine the physics a bit But keep the OG soundtrack!
    SL, psygnosis, same thing, just-renamed after they were bought.

Even then, why are you so negative about a potential new wipeout game that you've never seen if it's made by a completely different company?

Crash "remakes" were done by an Activision owned company, and it turned out great, i think they were better than the originals TBH, and the DLC level for crash 3, is possibly the best level in crash history imo

Crash 4 is made by toys for bob, another Activision owned company that has never developed any crash or spyro titles (except spyro remakes) and to me so far, it looks pretty good in terms of level design, which is the most important thing for a crash game. And i haven't heard any of the original ND team working on it, but i might be wrong.

DOOM reboot & eternal were made without any of the OG DOOM 1 & 2 developers either, and they're both amazing games

Basically, my point is that even with classic game revivals/sequels can still be good even if the original developers are no longer with the studio, or a different developer making it.

I bet there will be another game in the future for sure, before omega hit ps+, there were around 700k? players on the first 2048 leaderboard, so it should have sold around ~650k copies or so, of course, that number is inaccurate because some people might never played 2048 and just played HD, or they played offline because leaderboards are server-sided and won't upload your times if played offline etc, and ~650k sales for a low budget remaster of a game previously on PS3 that barely sold 1m is pretty massive imo

My only problem with it is... if it ever gets announced & it's good, there's a very big chance i won't buy it over PS5 exclusivity... :/ Not worth paying ~$500 on a console for 1 game, and i bought a PS4 in jan 2014 and i barely used it until omega came out which i played for a few months. Not doing that again.
    Last edited by Racingfan; 30th June 2020 at 04:42 AM.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4

Happy to have struck a chord 😎. Precisely, and the early days are where the most opportunity for adding depth such as reckless endangerment and malfunctions to the gameplay, as well as ways to overcome them.

I dont know racingfan, you should give the last of us a shot. Yeah the sequal's story seems to be controversial (people complain all the time these days) but you cant deny the level of detail and gameplay mechanics. It seems to strike the perfect balance between offense and defense.