Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NO new WipEout game announced with PS5, sadness ensues

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    People with talent are more than capable of working with existing material, expanding it and doing it justice, as can be witnessed in the rest of the entertainment industry.
    Imagine unironically thinking this.

Hey, I'd be glad to be proven wrong and be surprised with a banger new WipEout game (as long as it is no PS5 exclusive - which is already the first problem - as I won't waste my money on this piece of modern art). Hell, even if it was a PS5 exclusive I'd be glad, as there would finally be activity in this forum beyond "wHeN's a neW WipEOuT goinG tO haPPeN" which the legacy of the old games would profit from.

But realistically thinking, arcade racing is a dying franchise. Can you think of any lasting release in the recent years that actually cultivated a fanbase and was not a financial flop?
    Most likely """new""" WipEout we could get would be Omega Collection Remastered(TM), half-assed together by some studio we never heard about and that don't care about the games either.
    But given the general direction of the gaming industry and Sony by all means not being one of the brightest companies in regards of how to make yourself popular, a new genuine WipEout title would perhaps not really be that much of a thrill.

We don't need it anyway, as we have BNG.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

meh, we have BallisticNG, been playing it a little bit lately. It's on sale for $4 on Steam & there's a new expansion coming out very soon. It's good enough.

If there would be a new wipeout, it would be a ps5 exclusive 99%, so i'll prolly won't buy a ps5 just to play it. PS4 was a major disappointment for me, the only game i've spent time with is omega collection, and since then I've since switched to PC full time & sold 90% of my PS4 games & rebought it for PC

Only thing i would hope for from Sony that's a bit more realistic than ps5 wipeout on PC is Omega collection on PC for that 240 FPS experience & free online and even then, that's extremely unlikely, but hey, they're porting horizon zero dawn to PC, so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    Well, Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool don't exist anymore, so that's very unlikely to happen. And IF it somehow would happen, the result will most likely be far removed from its heritage.
    SL fanboy much? Don't forget they made Fusion & 2048. So it's not like if SL makes a game, it'll be a instant 10/10 like what you're trying to act like. Back then, everyone was hoping for mirror's edge Sequel, it was announced that DICE would make it (who also made the original) there was a **** ton of praise for it, then it got released 3 years later, and a **** ton of people were massively disappointed with it. So, what if SL still existed and made the next wipeout? (The company you're praising so much) And it becomes a huge disappointment? What would you say then?

Before you try to say it will most likely be a huge "downgrade" At least wait and see how the gameplay is like... IF it ever happens

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Imagine unironically thinking this.

Hey, I'd be glad to be proven wrong and be surprised with a banger new WipEout game (as long as it is no PS5 exclusive - which is already the first problem - as I won't waste my money on this piece of modern art). Hell, even if it was a PS5 exclusive I'd be glad, as there would finally be activity in this forum beyond "wHeN's a neW WipEOuT goinG tO haPPeN" which the legacy of the old games would profit from.

But realistically thinking, arcade racing is a dying franchise. Can you think of any lasting release in the recent years that actually cultivated a fanbase and was not a financial flop?
    Most likely """new""" WipEout we could get would be Omega Collection Remastered(TM), half-assed together by some studio we never heard about and that don't care about the games either.
    But given the general direction of the gaming industry and Sony by all means not being one of the brightest companies in regards of how to make yourself popular, a new genuine WipEout title would perhaps not really be that much of a thrill.

We don't need it anyway, as we have BNG.
    Seriously? I remember talking to Notenoughred (who was the producer, i think) for omega. He seemed very passionate about the remaster, used to answer a lot of questions, took feedback, etc etc. Saying that clever beans & EPOS don't care about the games seems a bit too much.

Half-assed? They put more effort into this remaster than 99% of the remasters out there, most remasters just do a slight resolution bump from 720p to 1080p and call it a day, and most of them don't even increase the texture resolutions for the games, so you'll be seeing the same low quality like textures in the so-called "remaster"

For omega they increased the texture resolutions, fixed some bugs from the old versions, added 2 new ships and a VR mode, etc etc. Again, more effort than 99% of the remasters out there
    Last edited by Racingfan; 28th June 2020 at 08:21 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I don't praise SL at all - I praise Psygnosis
    Look, I'm not saying someone new can't make a good new wipEout game. I just don't think it's gonna happen without people who are REALLY passionate about it, and it wouldn't hurt to have some of the old DNA in there by having people like Lee Carus and Colin Berry on board. Fat chance that's gonna happen, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    Welp if they did, I'd dig it if they started by remaking the original. There was something out of this world about it, it really set the tone for making each entry have it's own dreamy atmosphere. It would be pretty trippy to revisit.
    THIS. A thousand times yes. As much as I loved 2097 and w3oSE, the original had a flair to it that is hard to compare to anything else out there. Gloomy, dark, kind of Blade Runner-ish, but still dreamy and positive in a way. I would absolutely LOVE to have that exact game remade with new models, track geometry and textures on a modern engine. Maybe refine the physics a bit But keep the OG soundtrack!

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

I don't praise SL at all - I praise Psygnosis
    Look, I'm not saying someone new can't make a good new wipEout game. I just don't think it's gonna happen without people who are REALLY passionate about it, and it wouldn't hurt to have some of the old DNA in there by having people like Lee Carus and Colin Berry on board. Fat chance that's gonna happen, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

THIS. A thousand times yes. As much as I loved 2097 and w3oSE, the original had a flair to it that is hard to compare to anything else out there. Gloomy, dark, kind of Blade Runner-ish, but still dreamy and positive in a way. I would absolutely LOVE to have that exact game remade with new models, track geometry and textures on a modern engine. Maybe refine the physics a bit But keep the OG soundtrack!
    SL, psygnosis, same thing, just-renamed after they were bought.

Even then, why are you so negative about a potential new wipeout game that you've never seen if it's made by a completely different company?

Crash "remakes" were done by an Activision owned company, and it turned out great, i think they were better than the originals TBH, and the DLC level for crash 3, is possibly the best level in crash history imo

Crash 4 is made by toys for bob, another Activision owned company that has never developed any crash or spyro titles (except spyro remakes) and to me so far, it looks pretty good in terms of level design, which is the most important thing for a crash game. And i haven't heard any of the original ND team working on it, but i might be wrong.

DOOM reboot & eternal were made without any of the OG DOOM 1 & 2 developers either, and they're both amazing games

Basically, my point is that even with classic game revivals/sequels can still be good even if the original developers are no longer with the studio, or a different developer making it.

I bet there will be another game in the future for sure, before omega hit ps+, there were around 700k? players on the first 2048 leaderboard, so it should have sold around ~650k copies or so, of course, that number is inaccurate because some people might never played 2048 and just played HD, or they played offline because leaderboards are server-sided and won't upload your times if played offline etc, and ~650k sales for a low budget remaster of a game previously on PS3 that barely sold 1m is pretty massive imo

My only problem with it is... if it ever gets announced & it's good, there's a very big chance i won't buy it over PS5 exclusivity... :/ Not worth paying ~$500 on a console for 1 game, and i bought a PS4 in jan 2014 and i barely used it until omega came out which i played for a few months. Not doing that again.
    Last edited by Racingfan; 30th June 2020 at 04:42 AM.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Happy to have struck a chord 😎. Precisely, and the early days are where the most opportunity for adding depth such as reckless endangerment and malfunctions to the gameplay, as well as ways to overcome them.

I dont know racingfan, you should give the last of us a shot. Yeah the sequal's story seems to be controversial (people complain all the time these days) but you cant deny the level of detail and gameplay mechanics. It seems to strike the perfect balance between offense and defense.

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

A harsh end to the tradition, for a series that's been with Playstation since the very beginning, much like Ridge Racer. I personally think it's better this way, given how the videogame industry is these days.

I think we’re nowhere near "the end". We might have to wait for a while again, but if gamers have learnt anything in decades of history, is that you should never bury any franchise if it shows even just little indication of being profitable.

Many (more or less accurate) parallels could be drawn with other series. I’m a huge Half-Life fan and believe me when I tell you that the fanbase had completely given up on a new game just two years ago.

Obviously it’s not the same thing (hence my parenthesis in the previous sentence), but it’d be foolish to dismiss it completely. And to dismiss the possibility of quality.

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

You're correct in the sense that profitability (and nostalgia pandering) may shine a spotlight on it once again, but after SL was sacrificed along with many others to make up for Sony's own failure to market the Vita properly, I'll be hard-pressed to call anything that isn't a resmaster truly WipEout. The series was lightning in a bottle and I don't think it can be done again without the same folks who caught it, with full creative rights. Forgive the somber outlook, it's just that I've seen this cautionary tale one time too many.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by Racingfan View Post
    SL, psygnosis, same thing, just-renamed after they were bought.
    Basically, my point is that even with classic game revivals/sequels can still be good even if the original developers are no longer with the studio, or a different developer making it.

I bet there will be another game in the future for sure, before omega hit ps+, there were around 700k? players on the first 2048 leaderboard, so it should have sold around ~650k copies or so, of course, that number is inaccurate because some people might never played 2048 and just played HD, or they played offline because leaderboards are server-sided and won't upload your times if played offline etc, and ~650k sales for a low budget remaster of a game previously on PS3 that barely sold 1m is pretty massive imo

My only problem with it is... if it ever gets announced & it's good, there's a very big chance i won't buy it over PS5 exclusivity... :/ Not worth paying ~$500 on a console for 1 game, and i bought a PS4 in jan 2014 and i barely used it until omega came out which i played for a few months. Not doing that again.
    I wouldn't take those figures as a correct representation of the install base that actually paid for the game.
    When the PS3 got hacked, Sony gave HD/FURY away for free, that had a huge influx of new players [mostly from the USA where Wipeout hardly had a player base at all ], this only lasted for about a month.
    Same thing happened with the Omega pack when that became a PS+ free game, influx of players for a month, but the online player base had died off WAY before that, so you basically had a whole lot of rooms full of newbies either getting thrashed by old hands, or just making a nuisance of themselves, the result was the same, the novelty wore off and the rooms became barren again.

It's these reasons I doubt we shall see a NEW WO any time soon, not a fully fledged one at least.

You might get a small VR only WO game for the PS5, if and when Sony update the VR helmet, as most VR games are short, and if it was made they might not even opt to have online for it, just records for times.
    It would be more of a 'Showcase' game to show the prowess of the PS5/VR3, as traditionally that's all Sony has USED the WO franchise for since it acquired the IP rights.

Why Sony just don't reverse engineer and update 2097/XL and WO3SE is beyond me......I suspect because people will forever relate the music that came with those games with those tracks, and it wasn't included people would complain, also it would be too much of a PITA to sort out a new licensing deal
    It's not that it can't be done, hell, how do you think BallisticNG got made....it's always surprised me they got away with reading the code off a 2097 disc
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 18th August 2020 at 05:46 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I was going back through some really old emails yesterday [going back 12+ years], a lot were old PM notification emails of PM's I'd received at the zone.
    This in turn got me reading some of those old PM's, which led me to do a bit of searching for something I remember reading, with interesting results.

Basically I googled Wipeout Pulse and started reading the Wikipedia page on it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_Pulse

In the article, it has a quote from Colin Berry [Colin started as a tester I think he told me once, at SL and ended up as lead designer, he also posted here ]
    In the Wiki article [see the Development portion of the page] Colin is quoted as saying.

Berry stated that by the end of Wipeout Pure, Sony Studio Liverpool had designed almost 100 tracks as potentials to include in subsequent games, although the team were only satisfied with 32 of them. The remainder of the tracks were either disregarded or amalgamated into other games.[12] Berry reflected that the tracks using the same 3D computer graphics software as its predecessor meant that certain repetition appeared and caused the team to "dry up on ideas". The developers recognized that track design was an important aspect to the game, and also accepted the difficulty in designing a track that is both memorable and enjoyable. Berry felt concerned that the team were starting to repeat design features, and thus decided to create new variables to the track design: as a result of this, the team conceptualized the "mag strip" – a section of a track which would feature artificial gravity so that a player could safely circumnavigate loops, steep slopes, and upside down sections.[12]

The interesting thing of note and relevant to this thread, is the amount of track SL were happy with, and more than likely had completed to a near complete level, otherwise why give such an exact number, and most of them obviously were tracks that ended up being used in the later Wipeout's Pulse and 2048.
    I doubt SL could have put together 2048 in such a short time for the VITA's launch if these tracks weren't very close to already being finished.

So this leaves the question, where are the missing tracks ?

If 32 tracks had been identified out of nearly 100 good enough for major development [and remember this was mentioned back in 2007, 5 years before SL closed ], and you take away from those 32 tracks all the main + DLC tracks contained in PULSE [16 tracks], plus the 10 tracks from 2048 that only totals 26 tracks.

So where are the other 6 new tracks nobody has seen yet ?

Interesting isn't it ?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Probably gone and forgotten in the recycle bin of some SL work computer

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

I'm surprised they were drying up on ideas for tracks for an antigrav racing game. I always thought they could've been a lot more bold; the tracks we got to see seldom provided things like big jumps and long curves that let you gaze out into the horizon and see the rest of the level. There should've been way more bombastic tracks like Sebenco, Altima I and Sol. Whenever I look at Redout's gigantic tracks for example I wonder how they would've looked like in WipEout.
    Or this: https://cityofsound.typepad.com/blog...wipeout.ad.jpg

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Probably gone and forgotten in the recycle bin of some SL work computer
    I doubt it.
    Sony owns all that SL work, and you can bet your last dollar that it's safely hidden away in the archives, why Clever Beans weren't given the chance to use the yet unseen stuff seemed a bit strange when the Omega Pack was released, we all ''unofficially' knew of it's existence.
    Once it was realized that the Omega Pack was really more designed as a showcase VR title, you realize where their time had been spent.

As for SL track ideas drying up.
    Well they did say it was mainly because of the confines of the programs used to build them at the time.
    What SL could have done with the as yet to be released Unreal 5 engine and the PS5 we sadly shall never know.
    I doubt SL would have changed the formula very much, certainly not to the extent that it morphed into a REDOUT .

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

The BNG community really shows that there's still a lot to do in terms of track designs. Hell, even the official content pretty much innovated the classic "Ballistic AG racing" setting with Outer Reaches.
    Of course you are a bit more limited when the basic features of the track are given. But the tracks in Pulse really are pretty samey...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Yeah I agree about the Pulse tracks, especially the 4 DLC ones
    It makes you wonder what these 6 other tracks are like.
    Are they more of the same ?
    As in being similar to the Pulse tracks, or heading more into 2048 territory ?
    Hard to tell, as I guess SL new that the Pulse DLC was going to only be released in Europe and Aus/NZ, so they used the least interesting ones for that, and would have held back the best tracks for the next wipeout, it was after Pulses release they were told there wasn't going to be anymore wipeouts.
    Only because of the VITA release we got 2048, so I suppose they would have used the best ones for that, wanting to go out on a high.
    That leaves the ''presumed'' missing tracks somewhere in the middle I guess.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    GBalao888

Sometime later in the PS5's lifespan there could be a possibility of a new WipEout since the rights and assets are still owned by Sony despite Studio Liverpool no longer existing.

I just hope it's a new WipEout built from the ground up with continuity after the Omega Collection and Pulse, set in a new FX league with a mix of tracks, old and new, and would be content-rich just like Pure.

I know it means close to nothing, but I'm just gonna leave this here for posterity.

Shaun liked the reply. Usually he replies saying it's not WO related.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 28th January 2021 at 08:26 PM.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

We can dream..........

Stevie

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    I know it means close to nothing, but I'm just gonna leave this here for posterity.

Shaun liked the reply. Usually he replies saying it's not WO related.

Look at his profile description

Lead concept artist for @TTGames

I highly doubt a studio dedicated to developing LEGO games is working on a new wipeout game...

He probably wasn't aware that you replied to his tweet.

Nah, he knows how to use Twitter, he just "liked" the blind dedication of the fanboy that I am.

Of course it’s not WO related, but like stin said above, one can dream ;p