Thread: Wipeout XL TAS (Tool Assisted Speedrun)

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default Wipeout XL TAS (Tool Assisted Speedrun)

After making the TAS videos for all the Wipeout 64 laps I wanted to take on this game. For those that don't know a TAS is basically a time attack video recorded in super slow motion (sometimes frame by frame) in an emulator with save states (and many reloads) to try to do everything perfect. It's just for entertainment and to find the limits of the game and not a demonstration of skill.

I guess I still don't fully understand how the brake tapping works but I did manage to comfortably beat the WR on Talon's Reach at least with a 1:13.7 in Time Attack on Phantom. Can make the emulator movie file available if there's any interest in this. To me this was very educational on how all the micro optimizations work in this game. The split laps already tell this isn't perfect. I think if one were to absolutely max this out (and spend 5 times as long to make the TAS video) 1:12.x is possible. Any pointers welcome of course since I made this one mostly to learn how to TAS this game effectively. Anyway, enjoy the video!

I think a 15.4 and four 14.3’s are possible doing it that way. This is the exact way Race this course. Assayeah does something better on the long C turn though and holds his speed up higher, but I don’t know what it is. The entire beginning he does differently, but it is not as good.

What can you do on a real race on this track? Arnaud had a 1:14.5, and I had a 1:14.6

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Yeah I think that should be about the max 15.4 + 4 X 14.3 = 1:12.6

My personal record I did 6 years ago and is a 1:18.7. I didn't put in a lot of time tbh so I'm sure I could greatly improve it to at least 1:16. 1:15 and 1:14 would require a MAJOR investment of time and effort. Maybe one day...

My plan is to make a TAS for the Challenge II mode with Piranha on Phantom of all tracks. There is a ranking for it here but at first glance these records seem very easy to improve. I'm sure you or Arnaud would destroy it first try. Gonna redo Talon's Reach and aim for that 1:12.6.

I was trying to copy your 1:14.7 video exactly to match the speeds so that's why it looks so similar. Getting consistent brake tapped boosts was a major struggle. I've found out that holding the brake down right before hitting a boost (for maybe 3 - 4 frames) and letting go as you go over the boost worked best. There is a great variation in how strong the boost is. Is there any trick to this? Do you know exactly how it works?

That said if there are any strategies that you know that are (maybe) not possible by a human let me know. I'd love to try them out in this scenario .