Thread: PS5 specs revealed, kind of...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Default PS5 specs revealed, kind of...

Mark Cerny recently confirmed some PS5 specs in an interview. AMD SoC (CPU/GPU/SPU); SSD; optical drive; fully PS4 + PSVR backwards compatible; DUALSHOCK 5 will feature a touchscreen instead of a touchpad, i guess it'll be a 'PS5 to Go' thingy, much like Nintendo Switch...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

They say that they are putting in a SSD to make game loading times faster.

Have you seen the price of SSD's compared to optical disc drives?
    I can't imagine that any SSD on the PS5 is going to be very big capacity wise if Sony want to keep the price of the console pretty much similar to the current PS4 PRO.

Given the size of current games, you won't be able to store many on the SSD, so that will leave you to have to use a outboard USB drive, like the 8TB external HD I bought for use with my PS4 PRO.
    That's going to make any loading times stay at the same level they are now, so it sort of defeats the purpose.
    It will allow a sleeker looking PS5 I imagine, ultimately though that usually depends on the heat sinking/ Fan needs of the CPU/GPU.

I'd like to know how much RAM the PS5 will have, that has a bigger baring on performance on the console functionality, and since they haven't mentioned this, I still think the PS5 is some way off from being released.

As for Overhead sound.
    Dolby Atmos can be hit or miss, and to implement a overhead system properly you are going to want to be owning your own home and have a dedicated installation, it's not something a student renting a apartment is going to have, nor the vast majority of people TBH, including myself, who is a HiFi / HT tragic.......so I can't see this taking off at all, sort of like 3D gaming.

I hope there is a new improved resolution and designed VR helmet to be released at the same time as the PS5, my 2nd generation one sits gathering dust, I don't think I've used it for nearly a year.

A touchscreen DUALSHOCK hey?
    Sounds nice, but upon hearing about this I'm in two minds about it, one I expect it won't be as rugged as previous DUALSHOCK [so throwing your controller in a pile of cushions in frustration will probably be out], plus I think the battery drain could be quite a bit higher than what occurs with the PS4 DUALSHOCK, so your going to be going through recharge cycles more often, which ultimately lessens the life of the rechargeable battery due to battery memory problems, result is it probably won't have as long a life.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 19th April 2019 at 09:25 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

I recently upgraded my PS3slim with a 1TB SSD for 99€, wipEout loads now in half the time it needed before
    If the PS5 is designed around a SSD, it surely is way faster than a similar PC with SSD! I really hope they will let it come with the new 5G wifi to make it super fast in the internet section as well. a PSVR2 with AR capabilities and 4K240Hz would be very nice as well

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

A PC will still be faster because you can have more than one internal SSD and far more RAM.
    The last PC I built has 3 X SSD, 2 X 2TB optical disc storage drives and 32GB RAM, plus a Nvidia GT 970 or 980 I forget, with 2GB of VRAM.
    From pressing the power button to fully operational is 7 seconds.......that's the beauty of having a separate SSD used only for the OS.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Well, you cannot compare a several thousand dollar PC with a 500$ console, if you really want to compare two machines, they must have the same price...and then a console will always be more powerful than a PC! Even today it's impossible to build a PC for 300$ that is more powerful than a PS4!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    They say that they are putting in a SSD to make game loading times faster.

Have you seen the price of SSD's compared to optical disc drives?
    I can't imagine that any SSD on the PS5 is going to be very big capacity wise if Sony want to keep the price of the console pretty much similar to the current PS4 PRO.

Given the size of current games, you won't be able to store many on the SSD, so that will leave you to have to use a outboard USB drive, like the 8TB external HD I bought for use with my PS4 PRO.
    That's going to make any loading times stay at the same level they are now, so it sort of defeats the purpose.
    I don't think they have much choice. Expecations for loading times constantly get shorter, and with the proliferation of SSDs in PC, not having one in a console would have everyone asking "why!?" - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they use a relatively small NVME SSD to boot the OS (I am still surprised how slowly my PS4 boots compared to my PC) that will also house installed apps but a lower tier of storage for games, with maybe the most recently played titles cached on the SSD. An option with a 64GB NVME drive and 500GB internal HDD would not surprise me, pushing back the requirement for USB storage. Alternatively, if the whole SSD is based on older technology it can be larger for cheaper, and while not as fast as a new PC drive it will still be dramatically better than a spindle HDD.
    It will allow a sleeker looking PS5 I imagine, ultimately though that usually depends on the heat sinking/ Fan needs of the CPU/GPU.
    I don't get why that would make a difference?
    I'd like to know how much RAM the PS5 will have, that has a bigger baring on performance on the console functionality, and since they haven't mentioned this, I still think the PS5 is some way off from being released.
    While there's bound to be a target that has been communicated to people with devkits, this is likely something that can be tuned up to the last minute. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an amount that PC people would consider a relatively strange amount. Like 12GB, rather than the 16 that would normally be considered the next step up from 8 for PC
    As for Overhead sound.
    Dolby Atmos can be hit or miss, and to implement a overhead system properly you are going to want to be owning your own home and have a dedicated installation, it's not something a student renting a apartment is going to have, nor the vast majority of people TBH, including myself, who is a HiFi / HT tragic.......so I can't see this taking off at all, sort of like 3D gaming.
    lack of adoption has never slowed down Sony implementing stuff, you gave 3D as an example, but you have a PS4 pro, so presumably you have a TV with 4K and/or HDR? Neither of those are things I have, though I do have an Atmos capable sound system. I would rather the console support it for those that have all the bells and whistles than not. It's cool knowing that if I upgrade some piece of my home AV, the console can use it. They have also discussed using raytracing tech for sound, which I think is a great idea. I don't know what that will do for Atmos, but that sort of thing should make a difference even for people with sub-par home audio. It should make a huge difference for headphones. I really look forward to see
    I hope there is a new improved resolution and designed VR helmet to be released at the same time as the PS5, my 2nd generation one sits gathering dust, I don't think I've used it for nearly a year.
    I was surprised to read about retaining VR HMD compatibility, as it means keeping the proprietary port in back of the console. Pleasantly surprised, as I like my PSVR. That said... they really need better controllers for it. The Move controllers are not good enough on PS4, they will be completely unacceptable going forward yet another generation.
    A touchscreen DUALSHOCK hey?
    Sounds nice, but upon hearing about this I'm in two minds about it, one I expect it won't be as rugged as previous DUALSHOCK [so throwing your controller in a pile of cushions in frustration will probably be out], plus I think the battery drain could be quite a bit higher than what occurs with the PS4 DUALSHOCK, so your going to be going through recharge cycles more often, which ultimately lessens the life of the rechargeable battery due to battery memory problems, result is it probably won't have as long a life.
    If the screen is OLED then it shouldn't be too bad on battery life. That said, my PS4 controllers have pretty serious battery life issues at this point, so I shudder to think how rapidly these will degrade. What I would like to have seen instead is some way of attaching a cellphone to the top of the controller so you could have a more deeply encouraged/supported second screen solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    I recently upgraded my PS3slim with a 1TB SSD for 99€, wipEout loads now in half the time it needed before
    If the PS5 is designed around a SSD, it surely is way faster than a similar PC with SSD!
    I hope that's true! We haven't yet seen (even on PC) games designed with SSD as an expectation/requirement so everything has used fairly conventional mechanisms for accessing stored content. My expectation here would be that it being part of the next generation of consoles as standard will make it a requirement on PC soon enough, at which point we'll see game engines start to expect it, and take better advantage. This might be something that's mutiple years further down the line but is a good forward-planning step.
    I really hope they will let it come with the new 5G wifi to make it super fast in the internet section as well.
    Why 5G? At that point you'd have to add a SIM card to the console, that doesn't make sense in a non-portable device. WiFi 6 makes sense for now, and I imagine (hope) newer standards get included in later versions of the console, but 5G I don't get.
    a PSVR2 with AR capabilities and 4K240Hz would be very nice as well
    I would be extremely surprised to see 4K/240Hz, if the current headsets are to remain compatible then it has to continue to use HDMI, and that has only just gained 4K 60Hz to my knowledge.
    A PC will still be faster because you can have more than one internal SSD and far more RAM.
    Consoles don't always load from storage into memory the same way as PCs do, which is why something so relatively under-specced is able to produce such good results.
    The last PC I built has 3 X SSD, 2 X 2TB optical disc storage drives and 32GB RAM, plus a Nvidia GT 970 or 980 I forget, with 2GB of VRAM.
    From pressing the power button to fully operational is 7 seconds.......that's the beauty of having a separate SSD used only for the OS.
    if the OS SSD is separate, then there's no speed benefit in having more than one. If you were using RAID0 across the drives I could see it offering an improvement, but then it wouldn't be separate. 7 seconds is pretty damned good though. I think mine might have been that fast when it was new, but windows 10 has gotten heavier over time and it's not that quick anymore. 2GB of VRAM seems surprisingly small, my current card has 12, and I think some of the stuff out there now has 16. I don't know if Sony has to partition the memory as system/video, and if they don't then keeping a very large volume of textures in memory could further help keep loading times down, in a way that's not really even possible for PCs right now.
    Well, you cannot compare a several thousand dollar PC with a 500$ console, if you really want to compare two machines, they must have the same price...and then a console will always be more powerful than a PC!
    The consoles are only as cheap as they are because the hardware doesn't change for years. As I understand it, most (non-nintendo) consoles are sold at a loss at first, so that the price doesn't have to change for years even as the back-end costs come down. By the time they do, they have been profitable for long enough to offset the initial losses. Quantity discounts have to come in there somewhere too.
    Even today it's impossible to build a PC for 300$ that is more powerful than a PS4!
    I just tried on PCPartPicker, and you're right. But with good reason; I can't choose parts as low-spec as the PS4 itself. I had to choose a CPU and accompanying motherboard that's Ryzen based, rather than the FX based CPU of the PS4. The video card is a Radeon R7, rather than the 7870 which would be the analogue of the PS4 - so that's 2 generations later. The PS4 has 8GB of shared memory, while I had to go for 8GB on top of the video memory. Honestly though, I was still under the $300 budget until I had to add the bluray drive. But that's at retail prices. If I was buying everything wholesale and in quantities measured in millions, it would definitely cost under $300.
    Last edited by Lion; 24th April 2019 at 08:22 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    I would be extremely surprised to see 4K/240Hz, if the current headsets are to remain compatible then it has to continue to use HDMI, and that has only just gained 4K 60Hz to my knowledge.
    My bad, it'll feature HDMI2.1, that's capable of 4K/120Hz
    5G is needed for the case that it'll become a semi-portable device...(DS5 with touchscreen) and for the PSVR2 if it's a wireless HMD.

edit: https://www.mifcom.de/office-pc-konf...4?configurator gives me a 426$ PC as the cheapest option
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 25th April 2019 at 06:52 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

5G is needed for the case that it'll become a semi-portable device...(DS5 with touchscreen)
    Are people really thinking it'll be switch-like? I would be astonished if that's what they go for. My expectation is that it'll be used for specific limited functionality (like the speaker in the DS4) such as inventories and minimaps - stuff that doesn't require rapid/frequent changes in the display content. I wouldn't even expect it to be large enough a display to make something like in-home streaming worthwhile. (ie: game from another room while someone else uses the TV)
    and for the PSVR2 if it's a wireless HMD.
    This is another place where I don't see why 5G would be the logical choice. Being VR it would need to be a direct point-to-point connection to the console to minimise latency, rather than passing through a cellular network and connecting back to the console over the internet. I would expect something proprietary to make better sense for this purpose.

I hope you're right - both of the above would be amazing - but I would be incredibly surprised if things go that way.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Sony are always want to make PS's sleeker, every PS to date has had a 2nd generation model that's been smaller, this is because of the WAF [Wife Acceptance Factor] which Sony's marketing has found has had a big effect on the take up and acceptance of allowing a PS in the lounge room of a house proud wife.

Regarding the PS5 proposed support of Dolby Atmos, well ironically the sales of HT Amps/Receivers [which is where your D.A decoding is going to be done] has dropped quite a bit over recent years due to the mistaken belief by your average consumer, that a 'SoundBar' will give you 'As Good' surround sound.
    This again is partly because of the WAF, plus it's a lot cheaper than a proper surround setup using separates, it's easier to setup and one is usually bought at the same time as a new TV......but it won't do Dolby Atmos the way it's designed to work.
    Yes I agree Sony have never been slow to implement new stuff, but they are also not slow in dropping it later, like 3D support, which can leave you with technically redundant equipment, or because said equipment used software in a propitiatory codec you could for instance find whole music collections which you bought in good faith now unplayable....ATRAC/MiniDisc/ SACD anybody? [Actually SACD is still big in Japan, but releases in this format are thin and expensive]

Sony's initial intention was to push 3D gaming to sell 3D TV's, but actual 3D games were few and far between, WO HD in 3D on the PS3 is amazing [Cavet being you NEED a 200HZ refreash rate 3D capable TV, otherwise the lag can be horrendous]
    You had people complaining about having to wear 3D specs, yet now they are prepared to wear a wired VR helmet, go figure.
    I own a old Sony 1080p 3D TV, when I found out that GASP! Sony were dropping 3D support I was horrified, as I have 100+ 3D Blurays [I watched Aquaman and Mortal Engines in 3D last weekend] and knew my Sony TV wasn't going to last forever [I know this was because Sony stopped making it's own panels, and started using ones built by LG, who were the ones that decided to stop making 3D panels], but the fact that this sudden lack of 3D support came without warning, that was my 'Not Again Sony' moment.
    To cut a long story short, after much searching late 2017, I found out that the Panasonic EX780a was not only the last 3D capable TV being made, but also a 200HZ 4K UHD model, and it had very low input lag to boot...so it had both old and new technology.Take my money! I bought a 65" model, one of the last available, and because it was being phased out for a replacement model, got it for less than half it's RRP with a Panasonic 4K disc player thrown in...Win,win,win.....I have my own calibration gear, so I had this TV looking like a $7000 OLED after a few hours calibrating it.

Why I initially put a 2nd SSD in that PC build was because it was initially designed as a graphic processing PC, for Lightroom and Photoshop, that drive was intended as the 'workspace drive' for those two programs to speed things up, as I work with very large RAW files.

What I do find intriguing about the PS5 is that will still have a disc player, I know Sony want backward compatibility, but it makes me wonder might they help the cause of sales of 4K UHD TV's by also making the PS5 disc player capable of playing back 4K discs, and if it does, will the PS5 have Dolby Vision/ HDR-10+ ?
    As a side note to this, Sony had been advertising 'Days Gone', which was released yesterday, at the PStore for AUS$99 in it's most basic form, yet we have a retailer here in Aus that was selling the disc version for $66.....who wouldn't want a disc player on a PS5 if things like that keep happening.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 26th April 2019 at 11:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Sony's initial intention was to push 3D gaming to sell 3D TV's, but actual 3D games were few and far between, WO HD in 3D on the PS3 is amazing
    I found Gran Turismo even better in its use of 3D. There's less going on on-screen, so it's easier to cope with the 3D effect. The net result was that I found it incredibly helpful in judging braking points
    It was the extra layer of eye-strain that killed 3DTV gaming for me. When I'm as focused as I get playing WipEout, I get to a point where I fail to blink properly. This type of eye strain is bad enough, but 3D seems to put a similar level of strain on my eyes, so it's a double-whammy. At least when watching movies it's only one of those things.
    You had people complaining about having to wear 3D specs, yet now they are prepared to wear a wired VR helmet, go figure.
    In the time I've had a 3D capable TV, I think I have watched maybe half a dozen things in 3D. My glasses require power, but the batteries were flat EVERY time I went to use them, and required a tiny screwdriver to change. That's never a problem for a wired VR setup. I know later models used polarised/passive glasses instead - I can't comment on those. But if you somehow had 3D glasses that fit over regular glasses (another problem I had) but your regular glasses were polarised, that wouldn't work. It was a bit too much of a house of cards to be consistently viable. Also while 3DTV will give you depth in a picture, VR not only gives you that but puts you completely inside the world. There's a massive difference between passively viewing a world and being part of a world that reacts to your presence. The barrier to entry is higher, but the reward for crossing the barrier is dramatically larger.
    I really hoped to see more come of the idea explored in the PlayStation display that Sony put out (or at least showed) - they had the ability for two people to play at the same time on the same display using alternating frames for 2 player full screen without being able to see each other's screen. It was such a cool idea, and such a cool alternate use of 3DTV technology that never gained a foothold.
    What I do find intriguing about the PS5 is that will still have a disc player, I know Sony want backward compatibility, but it makes me wonder might they help the cause of sales of 4K UHD TV's by also making the PS5 disc player capable of playing back 4K discs, and if it does, will the PS5 have Dolby Vision/ HDR-10+ ?
    HDR is such a mess right now. I hope we see that landscape flatten out. Right now it feels like HD-DVD vs BluRay all over again. Are UHD blurays higher capacity? It won't be long until games don't even fit on physical media 100%.
    As a side note to this, Sony had been advertising 'Days Gone', which was released yesterday, at the PStore for AUS$99 in it's most basic form, yet we have a retailer here in Aus that was selling the disc version for $66.....who wouldn't want a disc player on a PS5 if things like that keep happening.
    I mentioned to you on playstation messaging that my bigger issue with the PSN pricing is that it doesn't drop at a rate that makes any sense at all. Horizon Zero Dawn came out in Feb 2017. Here we are over 2 years later and in the Easter sale it's currently $50.45, incorporating the further discount that comes from my PS Plus subscription. JB Hi-Fi (the same retailer you visited) has the same edition for $39, and that's not even a sale price. Compare this to the Steam approach, which has titles fall in price pretty rapidly and encouraged purchasing habits that have largely killed game piracy. I have to wonder if this is the result of push-back from physical retail so that they can maintain a used-games market?
    There's no real reason digital should ever cost *more* than a new physical copy - the current situation is ridiculous.
    For reference, while in AU it was $99 vs $66; it's $119.95 vs $95 in NZ for Days Gone at PSN vs JB Hi-Fi. Not as big a delta for us
    Last edited by Lion; 27th April 2019 at 08:22 AM.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097