Thread: Sony or what?

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Default Sony or what?

OK, just being curious here because, these old games like Crash Bandicoot trilogy and Spyro the Dragon trilogy for PS4 but these were remastered and don't get me wrong these are great but what is happening with Wipeout? Why not make them as Wipeout Trilogy! That would be cool!

Any suggestions?

stevie ?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

yeah, and Motorstorm trilogy remaster would be great as well, in 4k and/or VR...
    got myself a Xbox X with Forza 4 and 7 on last black Friday, especially Horizon 4 in 4k is mindblowing...
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 1st December 2018 at 06:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

It'd be nice, but some of the original devs went their separate ways. Besides, Sony's testing the waters with Omega and things have been quiet for it for a while now. The most they've done lately was a 5 second ad for the VR thing. We really need a Motorstorm remaster too.

The closest to official talk we’ve had in recent weeks comes from Shaun Mooney (designer of the Tigron ship amongst other things): he’s been contracted for a game he can’t talk about, but which is NOT WipEout, but remains hopeful it will happen one day.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    yeah, and Motorstorm trilogy remaster would be great as well
    Completely forgot about Motorstorm that also would be awesome especially Pacific Rift!

Ad-hoc you're right never say never

Thank you for replying

stevie ☺

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Didn't Motostorm sort of morf into Onrush?
    I see it's a freebie for PS+ subscribers in December.

I see Wipeout didn't even make it as one of the 20 titles included on the Playstation Classic, I would have thought at least one of the 3 PSone Wipeouts would have been a certainty.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

there's a big difference between Motorstorm and Onrush, Motorstorm is about winning races, Onrush isn't...

PSN ID
    Renegade_Fire_

I would absolutely love a Motorstorm Collection. In fact, i thought that's what the Omega Collection team would be put onto next.

We can always hope, but i guess a lot of studios will be moving onto early development of PlayStation 5 stuff at this point right?

I tried OnRush, it's fun for a little bit, not much there and very dependent on you letting go of the 'winning means coming first' mantra. It's a bit messy. I think 'Blur' did that kind of gameplay a thousand times better, loved that game and still think it's one of the best arcade/mario kart/wipeout style combat racers out there. That game had a sequel in early development which never saw the light of day. Shame. These games never do too well. In fact, just look at OnRush, on sale a few weeks after release, free on Plus 6 months later.

Anyway, Motorstorm, more? yes please and to go back to the original post, i just want 2097 remastered using the HD engine, maybe modified a bit. With a killer soundtrack and maybe a few circuits from wipeout 1 and 3 too.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I remember the reason given that 2097 was never remastered was because they had lost some of the code, which has always seemed a rather dodgy reason to me, as since that answer was given some of the forum members have been able to back engineer their own AG game from a standard PSone disc .

Funny you should mention BLUR, that's the game Colin Berry left SL to go and make at Bizzare Creations

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I see Wipeout didn't even make it as one of the 20 titles included on the Playstation Classic, I would have thought at least one of the 3 PSone Wipeouts would have been a certainty.
    Could be for lapsed music rights.

PSN ID
    Renegade_Fire_

I remember the reason given that 2097 was never remastered was because they had lost some of the code, which has always seemed a rather dodgy reason to me, as since that answer was given some of the forum members have been able to back engineer their own AG game from a standard PSone disc .

Funny you should mention BLUR, that's the game Colin Berry left SL to go and make at Bizzare Creations
    Ha! My love for that game makes even more sense now. Cool.

I love the way 2097 feels, but even a remake in a new engine as close as can be, would be great. But, perhaps very importantly, keeping the 'look' of that game. For me wipeout 3, pure and HD have that clean future look. But i loved 2097's dark look. And the yellow and black track features. Visually awesome game.

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

Didn't Motostorm sort of morf into Onrush?
    It's almost an offense to compare the venerable Motorstorm series to...well, whatever that thing turned out to be. Just for perspective, Onrush launched on June 5th and quickly sank from the UK physical games' list, charting in 34th place during its launch week with around 1000 copies, then never appeared in the chart ever again. The dev team (i.e. Evolution Studios) was dissolved by Codemasters by July 23rd, not a month after launch. It was that bad. So bad in fact that it killed Motorstorm's devteam. I don't know what Onrush it, but it isn't racing.

I see Wipeout didn't even make it as one of the 20 titles included on the Playstation Classic
    It didn't even show up in the list of all the 36 extra games hidden in the hardware that was datamined lately. I don't know about you guys but I thought that was a mortal sin from Sony, disregarding not only its launch titles, but one of the titles that made Playstation popular in the first place. Nevermind never having given a semblance of marketing to any of the series' titles, ever.

I remember the reason given that 2097 was never remastered was because they had lost some of the code, which has always seemed a rather dodgy reason to me
    I'll never understand how game developers manage to lose something as crucial as the source code of their games so easily when they're disbanded. Do they forget to take the harddrives with them when they leave the office or something?
    Last edited by T-301; 8th December 2018 at 01:41 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Onrush was a weird beasty because it looked like it was meant to be a racing game, but it was a combat game in racing clothes. I think the reason it did so poorly is that what it even was, was never made clear to the general public. So it was viewed and judged through the wrong lens.

In the datamined PS Classic list there were some greats... Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo, Kula World, MediEvil, Parappa the Rapper, Ridge Racer - hell, half of those are represented in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Some of the choices on the PS Classic seem really odd.

T-301: I think you're oversimplifying on the code thing...
    When people were shuffled on from their studio disbanding, they were almost certainly prohibited from taking intellectual property off-site as individuals. At that point it's in Sony's care, and it would then have been shunted from pillar to post in various archiving and clean-up processes until it was so buried that nobody could find it anymore. I've seen it happen in my own workplaces.
    It gets put on fileserver A, everyone gets migrated to fileserver B, not all the data gets moved across. A final archival backup is done of server A, it's stored on server C somewhere, but years go by and the new version of the backup software isn't compatible with the archive format that was used 15 years ago. IT in general is a goddamn mess, and we're talking about files that are old enough to buy alcohol.

I’m quoting myself here, but:

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    Could be for lapsed music rights.
    They probably didn’t even bother with titles whose soundtrack consisted exclusively of licensed tracks. So this doesn’t necessarily reflect Sony’s stance regarding WipEout.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 10th December 2018 at 03:19 AM.