Thread: Sol 2 New WR is a glitch run

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Default Sol 2 New WR is a glitch run

Just wanted to check in with the community and see what everyone else thinks. Some dude posted a new tt WR for Sol 2 phantom that uses a skip track glitch. Does anyone else find this to be not legit?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Is there video of this WR.
    Hard to comment when the supposed glitch hasn't been seen.
    There was the old cutting out of a bit of track with a turbo and BR going up the main slope at the beginning of a lap that was developed by Piaphiac and Leungbok years ago, is that the one you are meaning, if it is I wouldn't call it a glitch, it's just being able to do it, which I've never managed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

No, it's the hardcore shortcut, where half the lap is skipped. In my humble opinion it's a legal shortcut, but most of all other players think, that it's not ok to use it. If it doesn't get 'repaired' by the devs, then it's obviously ok to use it. I showed all known shortcuts to the devs on day one, their response was, it probably won't get fixed, cause too much effort yada yada. I think everything is ok, as long as no 'respawn' is involved...

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

@JF

They looked very interested in fixing them, but nothing happened. It sucks that the support for bug fixes/other issues for this game is very weak. It only had one patch to fix some bugs after it was released. then no more patches for bug fixes with exception of VR related bugs. Maybe Sony didn't want them to fix more?

I Dislike these shortcuts because of how random they are, take a look at that video he posted, sometimes he bounces too high, which results in a time loss. Good luck trying to reach your limit with those shortcuts and good luck doing it consistently.

I found the glitch that broke the timer on the 2048 campaign's single races, it's a weird one and I think i know whats causing it, doesn't seem like it takes a while to fix either. again, it was never fixed either

They could at least have fixed sol 2 and moa therma reverse, which are publicly known and leave the rest which is not publicly known. Only sol 2 and moa reverse has been glitched in omega, and they're publicly known (coincidence? Nah)

i doubt it gets fixed anyway. Also, the most recent patch glitched how the barrel roll works completely. Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XugssDqx6_0 This has happened at least 200 times, it happens on other tracks too.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Is there video of this WR.
    Hard to comment when the supposed glitch hasn't been seen.
    There was the old cutting out of a bit of track with a turbo and BR going up the main slope at the beginning of a lap that was developed by Piaphiac and Leungbok years ago, is that the one you are meaning, if it is I wouldn't call it a glitch, it's just being able to do it, which I've never managed.
    Yeah it's on reddit.

I was just wondering before I tried to learn it. If it's legit, I might try it. I haven't been able to do the Moa Reverse one since HD, and thought that one was patched. Maybe I just forgot how.
    Last edited by mannjon; 13th May 2018 at 02:11 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I think for wipeout, a general rule of thumb to go by is if it cuts more than 1 corner, it is considered a glitch.
    As an extra, if it doesn't cut more than 1, but causes wall clipping and/or rendering visibility glitches, then it can also be considered as illegitimate.

There was a thread on this a couple years back if I remember correctly.

@JF I Still understand that you advocate these from a speedrunning point of view, but Mario Kart on the N64 (a big one in speedrunning) has the exact same issue so the community created separate leaderboards, 1 for glitched runs and 1 for legitimate runs

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    I think for wipeout, a general rule of thumb to go by is if it cuts more than 1 corner, it is considered a glitch.
    As an extra, if it doesn't cut more than 1, but causes wall clipping and/or rendering visibility glitches, then it can also be considered as illegitimate.

There was a thread on this a couple years back if I remember correctly.

@JF I Still understand that you advocate these from a speedrunning point of view, but Mario Kart on the N64 (a big one in speedrunning) has the exact same issue so the community created separate leaderboards, 1 for glitched runs and 1 for legitimate runs
    I think I have to agree here. One corner is a short cut. Visual glitches and skipping larger portions of the track are above and beyond, literally.

Moa Forward, Chenghou Reverse, Ubermall Foward, and even Sol 2 (to the left over the arches) count as short cuts to me. But the current method in question is a bit exploity.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I posted a photo a few years of a AGS craft half way through a side wall on Ubermall reverse, just where you 'supposedly land' when doing a nose up-turbo boost to cut out the chicane.
    It's not something you really notice happening when playing in cockpit view, but it pretty much happens every time.....Glitch?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

If you are off the track, joining onto it and clipping, then I'd say yes, just like going back on the track from underneath is a glitch. The Ubermall one is perfectly avoidable with proper pitching though

Hey, sorry for reviving a dead thread but I thought that my words might be appreciated, as I'm the one who posted the original video of the time trial WR (not that i'd ever like it to be referred to like that.) After doing the run and posting it on Reddit I was made aware that glitches are generally frowned upon, and as such I regret doing the run in the first place since it not only overtook a legit run but also inspired 2 more people to beat my own time using the glitch. Sorry.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well at least it takes more skill to do that glitch than the farcical situation we had in WO HD on PS3 with the Zone glitch on Anulpha Pass forward, that made the records redundant for that particular track till they finally fixed it, every man and his dog was using it to get the zone zeus trophy.
    Come to think of it, we've been pretty lucky over the years with glitches on some tracks not becoming well known, or reported and fixed before that situation has happened.