Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WipEURout 2018

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I've always wanted to time travel back into the past, didn't know you had a time machine! :O

Jokes aside, that weekend works for me, but I'd be arriving on friday instead of thursday, as I'll be celebrating my mom's birthday on the 9th ;-)

Looking forward to seeing you all again and meeting the others!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I’d choose August 2nd – 5th if I had the choice

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Hi all,

The only days free in August for me are from 16/8/18 to 19/8/18.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

That date would work for me as well...
    I do have one suggestion to make: IF you guys would be interested in experiencing a full race with everyone in VR, I would have the place and resources to arrange that - in VIENNA. Not saying we have to, just a suggestion...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Ok, so, I talked to a couple of people and want to make a proposition - again, this is all hypothetical for the moment and only IF enough people are interested. That said, we could also move it to next year. Anyway, here goes:

There is a rather unique VR bar/cafe in Vienna, and the owner, Timon, is a friend of mine and was thrilled about the idea of hosting a wipEout VR convention! The place is in the 7th district of Vienna (which is the coolest part of town and also where I live ), offers enough space for lots of competitors, food and drinks. A couple of affordable hostels are right around the corner. Timon and me would be able to arrange a full grid of 8 PSVR goggles, some screens for the audience, and we'd look into some branding as well. I would only need some pilots to bring their PS4s.

Here's the thing: this will only work if there are enough people interested in coming (I'm thinking 12 minimum, more would be better of course) - so I would need everybody to share their opinion on this, and also we would have to find a date rather soon.

So, what do you guys think? And please be honest - if you prefer a small meeting at Amigo's place, that's fine with me as well, I don't mean to trump him or anything. It's just the idea of having 8 people race in VR together that got me excited

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Just found this thread... I like both ideas! I do have a slight preference for Vienna, because... two birds/one stone, but mostly I'm fine with both. However I won't be able to come August 17-24 - which sucks, because 17-19 are the only days Matthijs can spare.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

The only days he can spare... in AUGUST. But what about September?

PSN ID
    Thorinx

I'm fine with everything: August, September, me, or Vienna. Would definitly participate, doesn't matter if this year or next. The only downside: I don't have a PS4. During the next week I'll look into options coming to Vienna (I almost think plane would be the most comfortable...)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

yay, Omega VR world championship in Vienna, sounds awesome to me. We should stream the event, so we can get some audience around the world

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    The only days he can spare... in AUGUST. But what about September?
    I'm fine with anything in September.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Look, you guys are looking at this whole thing arse about.

SONY are plugging the hell out of VR ATM, and any publicity is good publicity.

SO, you need to use it to your advantage.

Use the Wipeout Omega Community forum via the PS4 top get in touch with the member from Sony Ex Dev [Sorry I can never remember his name] to help organize a EURO based Wipeout Omega VR contest.....or better still contact forum member missmolotov about this.

Get Sony to supply the consoles and VR headsets......for a example...have heats to decided a whatever sort of comp , to get a player from each EURO country flown to Vienna for the comp....win win win

Sony wins for great publicity for both VR and Wipeout, the players win as they get to compete at no cost to themselves , and your mate in Viennna that owns the venue wins because of massive free publicity also.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I am already looking into pretty much exactly what you said, blackwiggle, but I won't make any fixed arrangements as long as some key pilots aren't sure to be there. Don't worry, I know my fair share of videogame industry people

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I Know you do.

Seems a lot of old record holders of the HD/Fury times, are currently in the top 10 in Omega equivalent times, but under different [other] PSID User names.

This might have been part of the cause of the perceived fracture of the Online community, as it was in PS3 days.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I could prooooobably make Vienna, but wouldn't be driving at that point as it becomes quite ridiculously far, which means I'd need to know at least 2 months (more being better) in advance when, and if it's taking place, so I can look into hotels and flights.
    As a side note, my employer doesn't allow participation/support of other publishers/projects, so i'd probably have to check with them if they're okay with me attending if it becomes Sony sponsored (although I completely understand if others would enjoy it, so don't worry about me ;-) )
    Last edited by Cipher; 25th May 2018 at 11:01 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

These things still going strong, I see. Nice.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Not quite so strongly at this moment though it seems. ;-)

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Looks like Wien won't work then. New dates I suggest when doing it here:
    • Thursday 2018-09-06 to Sunday 2018-09-09 (week 36)
    • Thursday 2018-09-20 to Sunday 2018-09-23 (week 38)
    How about those? I suppose everybody has room for those dates. This is already leading to indecision hell and it would be a pity if no meeting would happen just because again only 2 out of 12 said yes (because I feat if no convention happens this year it could really be the end to the tradition).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I am very sorry I didn't have any updates for you in the last weeks - the friend of mine who owns the VR place in Vienna is currently at the hospital, so I couldn't really talk to him in detail yet - also, interest in the convention seems to be nonexistent, since not even the seasoned pilots on here have answered...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Hey guys, don’t take my absence for disinterest. I don’t have much time to check or reply very regularly recently, things keeping me busy (yada, yada, yada) – I know, bad excuse. I am still looking forward to meeting you guys. VR convention sounds awesome – so if something’s still on the horizon let us know. Hope you friend gets well soon either way.
    But I’m also more than fine with Frankfurt. If August is still an option: the weekends around the 4th and 18th work for me. If it’s September I could only manage to be there in week 36.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I am still here! I was waiting for a reply from AmigoJack on your ideas eLhabib! As long as there is no fixed date and place I can not say anything for sure. As I pmed Amigo: please fix a date and place so pilots can either say: yes or no.

Greetz Mad-Ice