Thread: WipEURout 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN ID
    Thorinx

Question WipEURout 2018

Update #1:
    • date is September 10-16th (Mon, 2018-09-10 to Sun, 2018-09-16 = week 37)
    • location is most likely Vienna (Wien), and far less likely Bad Soden (near Frankfurt)
    End of update.

I won't give up that easily:
    who is interesting in a meeting again this year?
    As usual: the competition is optional, the fun is mandatory. Conventions are a great thing to meet people in real you otherwise only know thru texting or eliminating. Over the years scoring the best times and choosing a winner has become less important, while enjoying talking and eating now is the biggest priority.

For those not being familiar with the history books here's a quick overview:
    • 2007: Amsterdam NL - hostel, PSP only.
    • 2008: Amsterdam NL - hostel, PSP only.
    • 2009: Frankfurt DE - hostel for PSP, AmigoJack's apartment for HD.
    • 2010: Paris FR - hostel for PSP, one member's apartment for HD.
    • 2011: Heerhugowaard (near Amsterdam NL) - Mad-Ice's house for PSP and HD.
    • 2012: Frankfurt DE - hostel for PSP, AmigoJack's apartment for HD.
    • 2013: London GB - hostel for PSP, small bar for a PSP meet-up as well.
    • (2014 and 2015 did not happen)
    • 2016: Bad Soden (near Frankfurt DE), AmigoJack's apartment for PSP and HD.
    • 2017: Amsterdam/Heerhugowaard NL - hostel for PSP, Mad-Ice's house for HD and Omega.
    As always I'm open for being a host again: my apartment is big enough to let 3 people sleep on the "guest" room ground, 2 in the living room (although it happens that people stay up all night), 2 more on the kitchen's ground (that was new to me but someone really liked it), and given high temperatures my balcony is large enough to support room for another 6 sleeping people.

Bad Soden is next to Frankfurt, which you can reach by almost everything (car, train, plane, blimp, horses, broomsticks, bicycle...). Whoever arrives at the airport or at the train station and expects to feel lost can be picked up by me personally (yes: 9 years later I still do this despite my age). Hotels are nearby, but expect normal/moderate rates. The hostel in Frankfurt would be the cheapest option but needs you to ride the metro for about 1/2 hour.

Your ideas? Your thoughts? When do you have time for this?
    Last edited by AmigoJack; 24th June 2018 at 09:23 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I'd definitely still be interested in attending another one, although it's slightly more complicated now with a full time job, I'd have to either take a flight (in which case I can't really bring anything with me), or just take a holida, visit the family and end it off with wipeout con

What time stamp were you looking at?

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Ah, there you are!

I'm available for almost any time - it could start right away this weekend, or it could happen in mid November, or anything inbetween. The only exception is last half of May. If we two remain the only ones I could also look into visiting you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Although I definitely wouldn't mind you coming over, that's currently not possible as I am living in with others and my room is too small to house anyone else (On the lookout for my own place, but finding the proper thing needs time, once that happens i'll prolly host one myself some time ;-))
    I'm not sure how many of the others still regularly read WZ, but I'll mention it in that KIK chat we set up last time at your place

Would be nice to meet up again though, fun times, just gotta wait to hear form the others
    (timing for me would probably be best around july/august i think, but I'm somewhat flexible, just need to plan far enough ahead)

Hope you've been well Michael! ;-)

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I'd be WISHING I could be there. Alas, I'll be chilling out here in Seattle, biding my time until Arc Prime is built.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Count me in!
    But if we're doing this, I am planning to get 8 PS4s with PSVR together so we can have the first full VR championship
    Good thing is, we won't need screens! (only for spectators)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    esistpeaNUTB

Yes, I would have the time to come but only on the weekend. I have school on all other week days.
    Is it okay if I am underaged? I am 13 years old, so if I could come, that would be awesome.

I could bring a bunch of stuff, PSP, PSVita with 2048 and Pure on it, and PSTV with Pure. I could also bring my PS4 and PS3 if needed.
    If you need to get in contact with my parents to organize anything, then I will send you my mom/dads E-Mail in a PM. Thanks

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Sorry guys, plans got in the way for the weekend around the 15th/16th

But now that you are planing to stay the whole week, I might have time early during the workweek. Let me check a few things … Sorry for all the obscurity

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

@peaNUTB: of course this is your / your parents' decision, but all I can say is that I am not sure this trip is for you, as I think you may have a distorted vision of how this is going to play out. We are mostly veterans who enjoy hanging out together, also going to bars and clubs in the evening. Yes, there will be lots of wipEout to be played as well, but not only and not all the time. I don't wanna sound rude, and I certainly don't want to exclude anyone, but I'm just not sure that it will be a lot of fun for a 13-year-old. Plus, I honestly can't imagine a responsible parent sending his kid to a foreign town alone to meet up with strangers from the internet...

@Sausehuhn: make it work! I can't guarantee we will have a big racing event early in the week, as I only have a location planned for friday/saturday, but we'd sure all love to see you again!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    esistpeaNUTB

Yeah, you‘re right. But I would only come to do some races with everyone anyway, like I said, I would only be there for 1-2 days. And of course I‘m not gonna be there alone, my dad is going to come with me obviously.

In other words, I would only be there at the time where everyone plays.
    Last edited by peaNUTB; 10th July 2018 at 03:33 PM.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

@peaNUTB: you're not the first "kid" coming with his dad, we had this already and, of course, both of you are welcome! It's just that we all remember quite well how we used to experience things when being 13 and how it looks now being around 35. We just don't want you to feel bored, as it's surely not pure racing from sundawn to sunset. But if you want to see how a few of the world's best pilots in real then I promise it's worth the visit. If you're German-speaking then you or your dad can also phone us if there are any private questions. Just PM one of us and we'll reply.

@Cipher: the hostel we're about to book looks very promising, and given the rather high prices in Wien I doubt you'll find anything cheaper (without drastically lowering your expectations). Just my opinion.

@Sausehuhn: as usual - if I can lure you with a free beer then come get some!