Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega Pack VR, your thought's so far

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by chri5 View Post
    What camera mode are you all using? I felt too sick and had to cut my session short.
    Hey, if the game is making you sick I recommend you read my post here. I hope it helps: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...531#post254531

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Some tracks seem easier to get to grips in VR mode than others.
    As you mentioned, once up in the air, it's a guesstimate at best where you are going to land...... I tried Chenghou forward at Phantom speed V's Elite....wasn't fun..bouncing around the long banked left turn and not being able to see where the mines and Bomb that I was getting the Audio alert about led to my quick demise.

I haven't been able to play in VR mode as much as I would like, despite trying, only because incessant heat here in Sydney [It supposed to be Autumn, enough with the 30c+ Temps already ] my VR helmet either steams up, or I get beads of sweat on the lenses, either way I can't see where I'm going......I've also given up trying to wear specs under the VR helmet, partially because they steam up as well, and they are just too uncomfortable to wear under the helmet.

I think when my helmet is out of warranty I might mod it with a sort of mesh instead of the vinyl padding that sits against your forehead, get some airflow happening, likewise change the rubber around the bridge of the nose piece with some Black material.....the Helmet is just a sweat box if you live in a hot humid climate.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

I'm getting the hang - stomach-wise - of the "soft" settings with locked to track. So I may try the real deal later. Issue is just that I generally am not having a lot of time. Being in Formula Student and being, well, a student...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Actually I've been curious about something.

For those of you that don't get sick (myself included) do you use the cockpit view or the pilot view? I really love the realism of the pilot view, but I can't do things like chain rolls together. Does anyone else use cockpit view for the same reason?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I don't get sick on cockpit view at all - I can play for hours at a time... but on pilot I feel queasy after just one race.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this more indicative of my lack of skill, but my ability as a pilot seems to be unaffected by which of those I use. I just feel like crap after racing in pilot view.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcreature View Post
    Hey, if the game is making you sick I recommend you read my post here. I hope it helps: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/sho...531#post254531
    Hey thanks! Yes I agree. I've not been back on Wipeout (will do eventually) I have been playing Rez and Battle Zone which have less dramatic motion.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I also prefer locked to cockpit mode. Locked to pilot feels more intense and is fun for a few races, but in cockpit lock I can play for hours and my racing lines are greatly improved. Also, trying to correct your flight path while barrel rolling is almost impossible when locked to pilot.

I like track view because the ship still tilts, which it doesnt do in cockpit. They are not too much different though in play feel. In pilot, I can just sit there and turn slowly and feel sick. Im not sure what the difference is just turning vs track view. It seems like things blur as soon as I move a little and my eyes are trying to focus maybe?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Glad to hear it isn't just me. Cockpit has seriously helped me shatter some WOHD records, mainly because you can better align for things like loops and your exit angles on turns, but I still feel like I'm missing some of the experience by not going pilot mode, but my thirst for better lap times had me stuck in cockpit.

Maybe I should train or something. Muscle memory can only do so much on chain rolls. The short cuts were hard at first, but I realized I could just look down to correct my mid air angle. Can't do that with pilot.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    LevitatingFatMan/LsDre86

I think they did a marvelous job bringing this into VR. Racing lines are easier while some barrel rolls and being airborne is harder. Overal l feel lm a bit faster in vr because it feels slightly slower as said before. I play with locked to track. Not because l get sick from pilot view, but lm just seriously slower because rolls are very hard and disorienting.

I'm having tons of fun with vr, it's like l'm living the Wipeouts! :-D

I've been playing locked to pilot. I'm developing a knack for looking down the eye of a barrel roll. I feel like everything seems slower in VR, so there is time to correct yourself in the air if you know exactly where the ship should be when it lands. Which just takes a bit of memorising.

I imagine being locked to cockpit might make for better times as it's easier to see what's going on. I used to play HD in first person mode because it was more fun than being behind the ship. Then after several years I swapped to try to get better times. I guess it's like that, my desire for the experience is greater than being quick. But that might change over time.

PSN ID
    subtotal

Ive been playing in vr for a couple of weeks now and I’m totally blown away by the experience, I agree with earlier comments that the tracks feel different at first but I’m used to it now.

Anyone reading this just starting out with Wipeout Omega VR try using full motion control as it really feels right in VR

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Believe it, or don't. But what subtotal said, seems so obvious. Still haven't tried it myself, stupid me
    I switched from d-pad to stick just for VR, which helped alot, but motion control should make it the best possible experience...going to try that now

PSN ID
    scalliano

Had my VR headset for just over a week now and I've been doing everything with the training wheels disabled as it turns out I have a pretty strong stomach. Been playing locked to pilot and peripheral mask off ever since I sussed out how to do it, and I've developed a new found love for this game. Getting those last few alt skins unlocked is suddenly feeling like much less of a grind

Since I got the VR up and running, motion sickness hasn't been an issue - apart from one thing. And that is when I'm sat stationary on the starting grid. That gentle weave from side to side is really disorientating, but as long as I keep moving my head it's fine. Blasting full speed around the Concordia loop on Phantom doesn't fizz on me, yet not moving is a problem. Not sure how that works, but there you go. That said, the spatial awareness that VR provides makes this game so much more immersive, the ability to look into turns and sway with the craft, and I've found myself instinctively looking up when approaching the vertical section on Empire Climb.

I love the new ship designs. I especially like how they've implemented the VR safety features in-universe, with the cockpits being their own separate pod which tilts and rotates independently of the rest of the craft. Also loving the inverted colour scheme on the G45 "regular" craft. It's just a shame that playing in VR doesn't unlock them for use in regular TV mode. That would have been ace.

One thing that is driving me crazy though, is the way the game panics every time you pick Moa Therma or Empire Climb and slaps all of the nerfs back on. is there any way to disable the nanny stuff completely?

All in all, though, I'm completely blown away. I've been through a few VR games in the past week, but playing WipEout again has been the best experiance so far.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Quote Originally Posted by scalliano View Post
    One thing that is driving me crazy though, is the way the game panics every time you pick Moa Therma or Empire Climb and slaps all of the nerfs back on. is there any way to disable the nanny stuff completely?
    I think it only ever does it the first time you select the track, once you've done it once it doesn't ask again.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

It happens every time you choose said tracks for the first time during your current session. That's a bit of a bother when you just started playing online.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Kinda tempted.