I've just been playing with it today after I finally managed to finish downloading it [A powerboard failed and killed my Modem on Thursday night as well as a blown channel on my HT amp, and a driver on one of my main speakers]

I haven't done any testing regarding VR V's None VR ie: lap times, but to me, all the tracks feel like they have be shorted when played in VR.
I've always played with internal/cockpit view, unsurprisingly that's what I'm using in VR mode, so that's what my comparisons are based on.

To me, it seems you find yourself at turns and other known sections of track quicker than you do in none VR mode, it's a strange difference, and not one that I was expecting.
Also air braking seems much more responsive than none VR [I've yet to try adjusting air brake settings].
What I think is occurring is that although not immediately obvious, is that the wider field of view that VR mode gives you, is actually setting the craft further ahead than than in none VR mode, even though it doesn't really appear that way visually.
This is what's making the turns feeling like they are arriving quicker, and the braking to occur quicker and to be more powerful [causing over braking],basically needing quite a big adjustment with turning/braking points on the acute turns compared to none VR mode.

Also TBH, to me, VR mode doesn't seem to show as much as a difference between the speed classes as none VR mode, well I'm not feeling that I'm traveling at Phantom speed when racing at that speed, anybody else finding this?

Early days with this, but I see it's going to need a certain amount of "unlearning of tracks" to get to grips with VR mode after 10 years of playing it normally, and become as proficient.