Thread: Outlandish tech query about Zone Modes equalizer!

PSN ID
    FatScarf

Question Outlandish tech query about Zone Modes equalizer!

Oh hi there, 'tis been a while since I graced these lovely forums, glad to see they are alive and well! I have came back to ask something of a long shot that I'm pretty sure will be next to impossible. I was thinking about doing a live stream of Wipeout HD's Zone Mode during a live DJ set and was wondering if by some incredibly rare piece of magic would it be possible to make the equalizer effects react to live audio?

Failing that, are there any Zone mode replica's in any similar games on PC that would be able to do this?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

The short answer is no.

The long answer is; potentially on PC with the PS3 emulator and extensive knowledge of memory hijacking/injection as well as a custom written application that implements this behaviour by moving the audio buffer pointer around every time the buffer is updated (as well as keeping it's own buffer of the live audio, which will cause a small desync between visuals and live audio)
    So no, it's very unlikely you'll be able to do this. (It's probably easier to simply write a geometry shader, that generates track as time goes and have an audio reactive shader for it, at that point anyway)

I'm not aware of any other games that that use audio for their visuals in a similar and to such high quality levels as Wipeout though (There's audiosurf, but it's pretty meh, imho) Thumper is up there, but it's an entirely different approach and doesn't support custom music

I don't know all though, so if anyone knows more, feel free to correct me!

PSN ID
    FatScarf

No problem bud, thanks for the reply