Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: attn: Al Sartwell

Default modded ps2

I do not have a modded ps2, never got the chip put in. It wouldn't affect the times anyways as if the game runs faster the time runs faster as well making it extremely difficult. I originally did this with a modded ps1 and a modded wo3se game to run as pal. My times were much slower than when I got a pal ps2(and a Power converter!!!) because it was hard to react that quickly. I tried to change the feisar time a while ago(to an Icarus), but I guess it didn't take.

Default science-japanese wipeout

japanese times should not be allowed for ntsc using icarus being that the times are normally between 1-3 seconds faster because of the handling being 1 better. Sometimes even the icarus is still slower though because the turbo scraping is not as prevalent in that version. The rest of the ships are actually slower because of the turbo scrape difference. As far as the ship flying way above the track, this does not happen in the japanese version. the ships feel very heavy in that version and do not float above the ground as well as the american version(on jumps). What I think you saw was ls1o5 or ls106(two extra tracks for that version and then wo3se). these tracks can only be used with prototype ships that have a top speed of 10 !!! THe ship gets really out of control if you can last a couple of laps without hitting(acceleration is only 3 so it takes a while to speed up to top speed). The colors on one of these tracls is kinda boring like hi fumii. Where was that website so I can check it out?

Zoolander Wrote:

I do not have a modded ps2, never got the chip put in. It wouldn't affect the times anyways as if the game runs faster the time runs faster as well making it extremely difficult. I originally did this with a modded ps1 and a modded wo3se game to run as pal. My times were much slower than when I got a pal ps2(and a Power converter!!!) because it was hard to react that quickly. I tried to change the feisar time a while ago(to an Icarus), but I guess it didn't take.
    You bought the most expensive modchip on the market, then didn't even get it installed? erm... lol ok.
    My Messiah Modchip is excellent, I can play all NTSC games perfectly on my PAL system, I'm not sure that I'd ever go to the trouble of buying an ENTIRE PAL system including a Power Converter just so i could play one game...

japanese times should not be allowed for ntsc using icarus being that the times are normally between 1-3 seconds faster because of the handling being 1 better. Sometimes even the icarus is still slower though because the turbo scraping is not as prevalent in that version.
    Yep I think it's fair to say that the Japanese version is completely different, it would require a whole new scoreboard. :wink:

Al, could you give me some tips for Porta Kora (Time Trial - Phan), I can't get any faster on this stupid track, do i need to pit at all? I don't pit & I use my hyperthrust for the big jump.

Quote Originally Posted by TYSON
    I'm not sure that I'd ever go to the trouble of buying an ENTIRE PAL system including a Power Converter just so i could play one game...
    And that is where you lack dedication, young padawan learner.

exactly what i was thinking.

except for the padawan learner part

Default tyson

which version of the game do you want advice on?

I dont know that there is a track where it puts you at a disadvantage to pit as long as youre using your hyperthrust correctly...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Whether or not you should pit is a pilot-determined thing.
    If, by pitting, you can collect enough energy to make up for the time you lose by pitting, then you should pit! So it's a very pilot and track specific thing.
    For example, on Terminal I can pit quicker than I can not pit, so I _always_ pit on Terminal. Ditto for MegaMall. However, on PK, I can't pit for the life of me. Every time I pit I lose time. So I never pit on PK unless I absolutely haveto. Same with Stanza.
    Now, you don't need a stopwatch to tell whether or not you're gaining or losing time, you should be able to instinctively tell. If the whole "pitting experience" goes slick and smoothly, then you pit well on that track. If, OTOH, it's a chore to pit and you nearly slam every wall just to make it into that damn recharge zone, then you're likely better off not pitting at all there.

You should be able to tell by practicing just a little bit.
    A good way to do this is to go for a dozen points of Eliminator. My personal favourite way of learning any given track. 8 )

Default Pitting

Using Icarus on phantom is faster to not pit on some tracks(stanza comes to mind). Some tracks using Icarus it's fastest to do both on certain laps.

I pit on Stanza Inter when i remember to. My time is only a couple of seconds behind yours right now (I desperately need to update my times), and theres still room for improvement. I'm not so sure that not pitting is faster...

Zoolander wrote:

Using Icarus on phantom is faster to not pit on some tracks(stanza comes to mind). Some tracks using Icarus it's fastest to do both on certain laps.
    Yeah this is what I was theorising. I'm working on Porta Kora & I guess this is why i don't like the W3 series games as much, there's just too much technical mumbo jumbo to deal with. Oh well I'll have a go.

W 3 Special Edition: Porta Kora Time Trial Phantom: Icarus
    I figure that for the 1st lap I need to use up most of my hyperthrust to make up for starting from a dead start, then maybe go past the pits first, then pit second, third, fourth then zoom past the pits in the last lap. What does ppl think about that strat?

:wink:

Default porta 3se

I pit every time on porta kora. The trick for 3se is on the first uphiill jump go just to the right of the track off the jump with a light touch of the turbo and you can land toward the beginning of the tunnel(further if you want but it is more difficult to line up the turns and I don't think it's as fast anyway.

Default Science

What is you time on stanza? TT or race

TT. I always play TT until i get a top spot, then i do SR. Right now, I dont know what my time is. My memory card, my games (all of them) and even my negcon are sitting at a friends house right now. Why? Because I dont have a playstation anymore. Yes, I know- It's very sad. I just havent had the money to buy one since I moved. I was using my friend's PS2, but he had a gaming relapse and took it back. I'll update all of my times next time I head over to his house.
    None of them are record breakers (Yet...).

Hi Zoolander,
    Thanks for the tips, I figured I'd have to get used to those silly pits one of these days... guess I'm just a bit apprehensive or somethin. Oh well, makes for a good challenge.

That first jump is a good place to do a bit of hyperthrust (just like you said), do you think there is anywhere else we need to turbo slightly? Maybe as you come around that last left hand bend facing the pits & start/finish line?

& Science,
    Hope you can get a playstation ASAP, not sure what i'd do without mine. Maybe you could get a good deal with all the christmas specials floating around?

:wink: