Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout Omega collection VR patch Announced

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Going on from Wiggle, I actually think VR will be a superior version of internal view. Not because it'll look better, but since the perspective is not a few inches above the track it gives a clearer view of the track and all the pads. And obviously the fact that the POV doesn't spin along with the BR's means there won't be any disorientation

Then again that's a no brainer, having the POV spin with rolls in VR is bound to cause some degree of motion sickness.

Thankfully my uncle has PSVR so I can try it without having to buy my own.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

For some reason I've always thought that PSVR was PS4 Pro only but after some googling I see that this will work on the standard PS4. I'm getting a PSVR for this for sure.

This will be really fun I think. Ive tested the VR and thought it would be great for wipeout. What would be nice would be an option for VR races only, since my guess would be that it would be harder. Split screen would be out as well, so a LAN option between systems would also be nice so you could play someone in your own house head to head. Heck, a lan option would be nice for the regular game as well so it could survive the eventual (years) shutdown of the servers.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

And here I thought the Omega Collection was finished for good. Glad to see this VR support

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

Playstation is sure putting a lot of effort into the remaster. You guys think they're planning something bigger for WipEout in the future?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Not unless they pull their finger out and promote the game in the USA, currently Sony UK and Sony USA seem like two members of the same family who don't really get on together, and subsequently remain isolated from what each is doing.
    One of the pitfalls of the American corporate culture when applied to a huge multinational is that the employees become drones, and don't think out of the box, it's not encouraged and is not good for you job prospects if you rock the boat, so far easier to keep flogging Americans FPS rather than AG racers.

I doubt UK sales alone would give Sony enough impetus to make something totally new, far easier to keep flogging the same tracks to you.
    It depends if there were any tracks in the SL archives that were W.I.P. at the time of it's closure, and have since been given to Clever Beans to complete, I think that might be the only scenario that would have us get any new tracks
    You might get new craft, but since you would be playing internally in VR mode it's hardly a enticement, unless you like watching the other players craft go around.

The thing with racing in VR which should happen a lot, which has happened to me occasionally when playing online with the PS3 version of HD, was when you had a another craft come right up besides you while going down a straight, it's happened the most on Vineta K forward for some reason.
    I always play with internal view, and sometimes when the above has happened, I could see into the craft besides me cockpit, and see the other pilot and the cockpit and controls, this has made the game for those brief seconds all the more realistic.

It's those little things that make a game special.....I mean I must be one of the few people that actually played [still do occasionally ] HD/FURY in 3D, the input lag is horrible, and you would never win a online race while playing in 3D because of it, but if you pilot using internal view as I do, it's a blast....pity 3D mode never made it to the Omega Pack, the extra grunt of the PS4 and especially the Pro version, should have made that experience all the more fun.

I just hope they do this VR version well,and it works on ALL TRACKS.
    Not as a half measure like the VR on GT Sport, where it only works on one track and while viewing your cars in the garage....I mean honestly, what's the point, that's almost like false advertising.

agreed, 3-D would have been awesome on the PS4, there would have been no framerate issues

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

That would only be false advertising if they actually would have made VR mode seem like a huge special feature...buuut, that's simply not the case.
    (Anyway, this isn't GT Zone)

I just really wonder how to place these VR ships in canon...
    (This is really my biggest concern)

I’m sure you’ll find a way, isn’t that what "canon writers" do anyway?

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Managed to find a short clip of gameplay, also Xdev confirmed there will be a specific feature where if you play online with VR, you'll only find lobbies with other people using the VR headset. That makes it more worthwhile to try playing online with it since you won't get creamed by regular players.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

OK, nice find.
    The craft seems a bit overly floaty compared to what I'm used to seeing, maybe that was the camera angle, at any rate, it seems your pilots view will be higher than the current internal view [maybe that's why it seems more floaty ? ]
    It would see that VR mode isn't that far removed from current internal view, and thankfully you can use a PS4 controller......I just wonder if BR's are active in VR mode? As I didn't see any being done in that video.
    Personally I don't have a problem doing them with internal view, as I'm used to them,so if they are included in the VR mode I should have any sickness issues, but I imagine that won't be the case for a lot of other pilots.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    ...I just hope they do this VR version well,and it works on ALL TRACKS.
    Not as a half measure like the VR on GT Sport, where it only works on one track and while viewing your cars in the garage...
    Dude, in GT Sport all tracks and cars are playable in VR! That's why it's absolutely awesome. Since i got my PSVR a few days ago, im almost exclusively playing VR or at least using 'Cinema Mode' for non VR games. playing on a TV is sooo yesteryear

OMeGa in VR, amazing news
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 10th December 2017 at 12:26 AM.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Quote Originally Posted by Snakenator1 View Post
    , you'll only find lobbies with other people using the VR headset.

that's even more disappointing. The online in omega died so fast. why split it? VR wouldn't be any better, so after a month maximum, you'll have trouble finding games on VR. and if they haven't removed the region lobby lists, it'll die even faster lol. If it's possible at all then they should add a option to lock to PSVR if the host want.

I'll have to cancel my order, as I like playing online, but it has to have players. So i'll wait to see how it be after some time.

I'm curious if there will be seperate leaderboards now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by T-301 View Post
    Playstation is sure putting a lot of effort into the remaster. You guys think they're planning something bigger for WipEout in the future?
    The game was a confirmed success. I don't know how much copies it sold to be exact, as XDEV hasn't said anything about the sales number at all but if you look at the first leaderboard in 2048, you'll see that theres 221k players on it. so the sales number should be around that range The number of the first leaderboard increases by around 500 every 24 hours, but if the game is on sale, it increases to 1000-1500 every 24 hours.
    Last edited by Racingfan; 10th December 2017 at 01:16 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    Dude, in GT Sport all tracks and cars are playable in VR! That's why it's absolutely awesome. Since i got my PSVR a few days ago, im almost exclusively playing VR or at least using 'Cinema Mode' for non VR games. playing on a TV is sooo yesteryear

OMeGa in VR, amazing news
    You can only play against single AI opponent in a head to head in VR mode, on tracks you have unlocked through progress in the game, and even then that's only in arcade mode, you can't play in VR mode with campaign or online.
    It's a sort of half done VR implementation.

As for the sales of the Omega Pack, seems it sort of goes in short bursts depending on if it's for sale at the PStore.
    I imagine it will again when the VR version goes on sale, but I don't think it will help fill the servers, it might even divide them further [that's assuming VR will be playable against online] The Omega Pack needed a base core of players of a certain magnitude to sustain it that it hasn't got, and never has, and we all know through various discussions why that hasn't happened.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

The Omega Pack needed a base core of players of a certain magnitude to sustain it that it hasn't got, and never has, and we all know through various discussions why that hasn't happened.
    There are some that do play, but it's really, really small. It's disappointing that i quit mainly for that reason. i had such high hopes for this game's online. Only way it can recover is to make it free game on plus. VR would boost it a little bit though if they didn't split it

I don't think i ever been from excited to no longer interested (when it comes to games) so fast that i canceled my VR order after seeing the new ships are locked to VR & split the player base on online.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Actually I'm not so sure just how well Wipeout will work with VR, for the main reason that the tracks are already so narrow, so any move of your head is going to compound that.
    You can see it in the video when the pilot is nearing the end of the tunnel section of Vineta K reverse and slightly moves his head, he then hits the side wall almost immediately.
    Maybe a adjustment to racing style to all that has been before will be needed, meaning lots of practice.

There have been countless questioning on why the some of the tracks on Formula Fusion have been made so wide.....I think the answer is now obvious.....a bit of foresight on R8's part for eventual VR game play.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

[…] The craft seems a bit overly floaty compared to what I'm used to seeing, maybe that was the camera angle […]
    I have the feeling the cockpit itself remains more or less parallel to the track, but the ship moves around it. I imagine barrel rolls to work the same way to avoid motion sickness. For this to be plausible the cockpit has to move freely like some sort of steadicam. Although I believe they rather not have any logical explaination behind it instead of people getting sick while playing in VR. Not to mention some people already get sick playing WipEout – without VR, mind you

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Wip3out in VR please :V

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    I’m sure you’ll find a way, isn’t that what "canon writers" do anyway?
    Wha-, where did that came up from now? ^^;

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

After rewatching the video I can confirm that the player was using Icaras (pink shielding with Feisar's weapon announcer, also the shield energy depleted quickly) on rapier class.

I'm going to guess that these new ships will be purely aesthetic changes and the raw performance will be identical to either the Fury or HD variants (I'm leaning towards Fury though).