Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WipEout Omega collection VR patch Announced

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

From what I could gather through various sources, there will be 3 *ships* (NOT TEAMS) exclusively for VR players, meaning if you play VR, you can ONLY USE one of those ships (1 HD, 1 Fury, 1 2048 ship - could be wrong here, maybe HD and Fury use the same ship and the 3rd one is for Zone). These *ships* can be branded in any team's livery - I don't know if that means they will then receive the stats of the chosen team (but I sure hope so, otherwise VR would be reduced to one type of handling).

So this means that we will not be getting different cockpits for each team craft (build wise, not livery), which is a bit disappointing, but understandable from a development standpoint for a free addon.

Also it seems that VR players can only race against other VR players when playing online, which I don't see any good reason for. Sure, there might be a small advantage/disandvantage to the way pilots perceive the track in VR, but splitting the playerbase in a game that already suffers from empty lobbies is a bad idea IMHO.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Yup, there won't be any new teams, i asked and they confirmed it. And yes, it is 1 hd, 1 fury, 1 2048 ship and if i understood right, the 2048 ship will have speed, fighter, agility all in one, but if thats the case, then i think, for example the ship will be fighter when you play the new ship in combat and races it will have the speed effect, etc.

The ships will have new design (obviously) But we haven't seen the full design yet, you can see the front pf the design in the trailer of the 2 new ships though. I hope it's purely cosmetic and it has same stats of the original ships but even then, it's still unfair to keep them exclusive to VR, it's not like theres a new game mode that is purely designed for VR that it need new ships for that game mode. What if you can't handle WO VR because of motion sickness? The ships will be completely useless then. And what's funny is, the VR update will have more new content than the main game

As for advantages, the vita version had cross play, the vita version never even worked right, it was horrible, horrible, it was impossible to control the ship with a racing line, even on venom. PS3 players had so much adventages that makes me wonder why they even bothered with cross play online in the first place

One reason i could see is due to difficulties of adding cross play maybe? if they can't, then they shouldn't spend resources on the VR only MP IMO
    Last edited by Racingfan; 11th December 2017 at 02:22 PM.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Sony confirmed on Twitter that VR and Non-VR users can play against each other online. 😃

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    wipe64

I love VR. I do have an Oculus Rift, and playing DCS Worlds (a flight sim) is the best experience I had so far (in terms of video games of course ^^)

But really, playing in VR, when it is propely done is awesome. In DCS you really feel like you are sitting in a plane, in Elite Dangerous... well there's nothing I could say to describe Elite Dangerous in VR... You can't understand if you did not try it...

So I decided to buy Red Out. I was thinking that a WipEout like in VR would be awesome and.... Not really. No no, it did not make me puke or anything. It's just that it is poorly done.

Why ?

Well first of all, you need a 1st person view. I still don't understand people begging for a 3rd person view in VR. It's fine to have one so you can look at your ship from time to time, but the main goal of VR is to immerge you in the game. Playing VR in TPS view is everything but immersive.

So you need a FPS view... Fine... But what makes it truly immersive is a real cockpit view. DCS's cockpits are the best looking cockpits I've ever seen. And almost everything is functional (But it takes a year to modelize, for ONE single plane). In Elite Dangerous cockpits are more simple in a way that you can't interact with anything except the HUD which is the same for every ship. And Red Out... It just a skin... Poorly modelized... And the same one for every ship... And I don't know why but even with a FPS view inside a cockpit this game is not immersive in VR. I looked for an answer about this issue and found out on several forums that I was not the only having this feeling...

And now here's WipEout VR... I was truly amazed by this announcement and then I saw the trailer... Cockpits are really simple, they seem to be very similar from ship to ships and even worse... The cockpit does not roll with ship (like the B-Wing in Star Wars lol)

I totally get why they did this to avoid motion sickness BUT I do hope they'll let us the ability to lock the cockpit with the ship when rolling... I heard that it would be impossible to BR with such a thing but I BR a lot in DCS and Elite Dangerous while dogfighting or just having fun and I never got sick. It sure felt strange at first, I sure felt disoriented, but when you are used to it, it is not a problem anymore.

Of course it won't be possible to BR as much as Feisar_2097 and other really good players in VR, but it is already impossible if you play in FPS rather than TPS. It won't change anything online, FPS players are already disadvantaged.

So I'm afraid VR won't be really good for WipEout, at least in its current state. God I wanted to be in a real cockpit like the Feisar, Triakis or other ships... Not a so called interior view which is just a piece a glass, not even rolling with the rest of the ship

But I may be wrong, so wait and see ;D

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

k, so i'm now actually tempted to get a PS4 and PSVR for this... no guarantees, and if I do - then as usual, I'll be late to the party lol it feels like a few years since I've raced... I think it has been a few years atually

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Wow okay I think some people here are being overly-negative about VR, it seems like some have forgotten one important aspect about it:

Its about having a fun experience

I'm gonna reiterate a point I made a few months back when Wipeout OC was still in development, we should all be thankful that we're getting this kind of extra content added to the game. Seriously though Sony and the devs could of easily released the game and just left as it was for eternity. But that isn't the case, instead the devs have decided to pour hours of their time, effort and resources into creating what could be an amazing experience to those who're willing to try it. Yet here some of us are just being nit-picky about the whole thing.

I understand that some of these points are genuine concerns but that doesn't mean we have the right to dismiss the VR experience before its released, that's judging a book by its cover. For all we know it could be the best thing to ever happen to wipeout yet some of us are not even willing to try. Granted I don't want to spend £250 on a VR headset like anyone else does if it sucks, but I will try it at least before making my opinion on it.

Honestly guys just be grateful to the devs that they've done this for us, I know I'm thankful to them for putting in the effort. You're all entitled to your opinion and I don't intend to change that, but just open your eyes a little and remember that the devs do watch this forum and what we all post. I wouldn't be surprised if they have now lost motivation to make any more content for the game after this because we're negative nellies.
    Last edited by Snakenator1; 11th December 2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Quotation removed

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by Snakenator1 View Post
    just open your eyes a little and remember that the devs do watch this forum and what we all post.
    This is how the Devs react to WZ:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    wipe64

I concluded my post by «*I may be wrong*»

And I hope I am, because as I said, I AM a VR lover. Tbh I love VR so much that I find now playing on a flat screen boring...
    And I’ve been dreaming of Wipeout VR for a long time. You’re right this the best thing that could happen to wipeout. VR is, IMO, best suited for racing games or flying games or anything where you sit in a cockpit. As you can’t really walk, FPS are still a bit weird. That why we have so many flying and racing games in VR. And people love it. That’s why wipeout in VR and generally AG racing could become popular again. So yes I agree VR is the best that could happen to wipeout. And I don’t blame the devs for developing this kind of content, in the contrary, I thank them !

And don’t get me wrong, I do not judge the game yet. I know it is still WIP. I just address my concerns from my experience with Red Out, that’s all. And once again I may be wrong and I hope I’ll be, I’m a wipeout lover, I don’t want it to fail^^

Sorry if sounded like a hater, I just wanted to share my experience with VR ;D

But I’m tired so good night guys (and girls) !

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Quote Originally Posted by Snakenator1 View Post
    Wow okay I think some people here are being overly-negative about VR, it seems like some have forgotten one important aspect about it:

I'm still very grateful for this, i did not expect new content for the game at all, i was watching the psx stream live and i was like omgggg, I ordered a PSVR almost instantly. The only thing i'm negative the VR update is about the exclusive ships for VR option It was already enough with the digital & physical exclusives for the extra content.

I am very thankful too and will look into buying a PS4 Pro and a PSVR just for this, and encourage others to do so as well. Thanks to the devs and people at Sony for considering and developing this, great work!

Hopefully this can help leading to a entirely new game in the franchise.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 12th December 2017 at 02:53 AM.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Quote Originally Posted by WikEv_512 View Post

Of course it won't be possible to BR as much as Feisar_2097 and other really good players in VR, but it is already impossible if you play in FPS rather than TPS. It won't change anything online, FPS players are already disadvantaged.

So I'm afraid VR won't be really good for WipEout, at least in its current state. God I wanted to be in a real cockpit like the Feisar, Triakis or other ships... Not a so called interior view which is just a piece a glass, not even rolling with the rest of the ship

But I may be wrong, so wait and see ;D
    If screen rolling is disabled when Barrel rolling i can see it being possible to do all BR's and play just as good as 3rd person players. The issue with internal view is you can't see anything when rolling. its the worst at metropia reverse because the respawn radius is extremely tight when going a tiny bit out of the track . You can control your ship very easily when in the barrel roll animation in 3rd person.

I did a video of what it would be beating zico in VR if nothing was changed except adding a cockpit view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwvy_9IruxU

As you can see, totally impossible to see what was coming when rolling.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

HEY, do what I do.
    If indecisive on the worthyness of paying for a VR headset, do the following.

I'm a PS+ member, that means I get stuff for FREE every month.

Each month, there has been a Free VR game.
    If you want that VR game, You Don't need to download it NOW, you just need to add it to your Download list of games, once added, you can download at your pleasure.
    All games, be they already downloaded or not, will appear on your Download list .

I'm very thankful of this , as I'm very close to filling my PS4 Pro's 1TB HD

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Found an article describing the experience:

https://www.psu.com/news/wipeout-vr-ps4-preview/

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

Everybody has the right to complain, especially with the amount of money we throw into this franchise...

So the barrel roll doesnt move as the person? I think thats good. It would be cool if there was an option though. They are probably worried about someone suing them for vertigo, or passing out, or a seizure. I am pretty psyched for this. Itsould be cool for a Lan option now because when online mp is finally taken down in a few years, and there is no split screen in VR, there will be no more multiplayer for the game.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I'm very grateful for the VR update, and it makes me a bit more optimistic for the future of the WipEout series as a whole. To see a new team adding content is a great sign.

Adding to that, the VR update seems to be getting better US coverage than the Omega Collection did when it was first announced. (IGN barely covered it, but has mentioned the VR update in several articles already).

I've also been seeing comments in a lot of threads that finally having WipEout for VR will get them to finally buy a PSVR, the Omega Collection, or both! So, while people do want a new game (us included, obviously!), people are seeing this as a worthwhile update, and long overdue at that.

Good stuff.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

I'd actually get over this barrel roll issue if there is an option to lock it to the craft...OOOOOOORRRRR it is quite logical from the design of the VR crafts

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    I am very thankful too and will look into buying a PS4 Pro and a PSVR just for this, and encourage others to do so as well. Thanks to the devs and people at Sony for considering and developing this, great work!
    You saying you're gonna look into getting this, means I will have to get it - this is now past temptation lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    Hopefully this can help leading to a entirely new game in the franchise.
    Aint holding my breath... but I will expect a new wipeout with each new PS console, as is the custom!!

Just think about where we all were just one year ago: nowhere, with no hope whatsoever.

We now have a new game, VR, and a renewed interest in the franchise. This is so unhoped for.

Go go Sony XDEV and Clever Beans!!

any news on the actual release date? I just picked a PSVR with GT included for 200$, great deal