Thread: Playing Pure on a TV with an upscaler (Framemeister/OSSC)

Default Playing Pure on a TV with an upscaler (Framemeister/OSSC)

Hey guys,

Just curious to see if anyone has tried this.

You can famously play the PSP on a TV with the PSP AV Cable, but that’s without upscaling = terrible image quality.

An upscaler such as the Framemeister and the currently-in-development OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) seems to be a solution and would make the game look way better on a modern TV screen.

Here is a video explaining the concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHoOKLWIMKU (the PSP is mentioned towards the end). YouTube also has some videos of PSP games being played with a scaler.

OSSC looks promising and is making strides at every new update. Could be a great way to rediscover this awesome game on an HDTV.

I had an upscaler for the psp. It looked great, but it gave a bit of lag, so I stopped using it

It might work much better with some of the more recent (and upcoming) scalers on the market.

I don’t have a PSP anymore and don’t have the time nor the money anyway, but someone could give it a try

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Isn’t it most comfortable to play Pure and Pulse via emulator nowadays if you’re aiming for a fullscreen experience in true high definition resolution? I don’t know how resource hungry these are, but considering the fact that they’re available for quite some time now I’d guess they work on any decent computer made in the recent past. You could probably also get a fairly small and powerful new computer for the price of that upscaler

Unless the emulator has upscaling features and options, then it wouldn’t technically be the same thing. But you’re right, it’d be a lot of effort for a small reward.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Sure, it actually renders in true high definition with enhanced texture filtering and all the bells and whistles

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I have two different PSP Wipeout game play back items.
    The first is a PSP GO! using component out, this was the best you could get as the VITA never had video out, then the PSTV came out, the VITA processing in this unit combined with HDMI out makes Pure & Pulse look as good as they are going to get, plus it solves a lot of the scaling problems mention in the video above.

Most modern TV's have a up-scaling processing done by software which is OK, but again as mentioned in the video above, depends on what settings you have your TV set at RE: Sharpness, Motion control etc....it's a starting place, but it can be done better.

Likewise HT surround amps, the cheapest to mid-range priced ones also do up-scaling via software, the upper mid-range priced to high end ones have a separate processing chip that is dedicated solely to up-scaling video, this is what I have, and IMHO is the best way to do it without the added expense of a dedicated specialized video up-scaler.

IMHO I would not even consider buying a secondhand video up-scaler to input into a modern TV, the main reason is the strong likelihood of getting no signal into the TV due to HDMI incompatibilities, they would more than likely be on the original HDMI spec [and probably no way to update the drivers]..........BUT, by the same token, it could be fine if running directly into a PC Monitor...... but if doing that, you would most likely already be doing so via Emulation.

Unless you intend to eventually buy a 4K HDR TV or PJ [Nice if done properly and viewing Native 4k content, not up-scaled 1080p to 4k], your best bang for $$ as a gamer ATM is to buy a secondhand, recently released [last 3/4 years] HT amp that has a separate up-scaling chip in it..... and a PSTV

Since the V2.2 HDMI spec ratification, a lot of new HT amps have come on the market with those spec's, and subsequently those who are moving on and updating to units with the new HDMI spec and 4K pass through and 2020 colour spec are selling their 3 to 4 year old units off at very good prices, you just have to know which units to go for.

Here's a picture of Wipeout 2048 I took played via the PSTV hack [prior to Omega Pack release] and up- scaled via my Yamaha HT amp, through my projector...screen width is 120".....would probably look a LOT better if /when I replace my aging PJ.
    Not to shabby for something that was designed to be played on a handheld.
    Full lounge shot (1 of 1).jpg

When I get around to it [As in don't pressure me] I'll take some shots of Pure & Pulse running via the same set up, but truth be known, since both Pure and Pulse had less detail in them than 2048 had, they actually are quite comparable to the 20418 shot, if not looking slightly better.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 15th August 2017 at 06:32 AM.