Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Large Scale Community Tournament

PSN ID
    osama-bin-haydn

Your logic is somewhat flawed as well though as not everyone has an interest in chasing trophies or world records. You could solely play multiplayer and be an absolute beast with barely any trophies.

The first thing I did with my PS3 and PS4 was turn off the notifications for trophies. I'm not sure I've looked at the trophies page even once on the PS4, for any game.

If you wanted to split the competition into divisions based on skill you would need a few people to play against everyone and make a judgment call on it with their own eyes.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

You don't have to chase trophies to get one though. The likelihood of not getting any trophy at all is highly unlikely. But then again having an ace pilot actively racing without anyone noticing is also really unlikely.

The point of the trophies is more in consideration of who had played before and who hadn't. That is easy to verify. But all this doesn't really matter. A junior league may not work for the same reason my idea won't, which is lack of interest or lack of available participants. If you are serious about some junior league, you'll need to expand the age range out from 18. I don't think there are a whole lot of pilots specifically in that range. At least not on wipeoutzone.

The sentiment from the majority seems to be a single pilot non team free for all. I'd still like to have a theme tournament at some time to encourage old and new pilots to race.
    Last edited by mannjon; 24th June 2017 at 11:01 PM.

PSN ID
    osama-bin-haydn

Oh I'm all for the biggest, grandest tournaments with the most amount of participants as possible. I helped (along with a lot of others!) sort out the WO Cup when HD/Fury was out (and to this day I'm still bitter that on a crucial match against Japan on Sebenco I glitched through the floor and got stuck in a loop while I was in first! ). So yeah, I love this stuff. It was brilliant to be involved in it.

The point is that the game had been out for some time. We had a large, and very talented, pool of players all keen to get involved, and a number of other, smaller tournaments had already been very successful. A lot of players were already used to racing in the AVALON league which I swear had been going for ages, and posting their times on the SL / TT challenges each week. We'd also raced each other thousands of times on the same tracks. 2048 is like a brand new game for me on Omega!

Start small, build up interest, get a dedicated pool of players, work on the main event further down the line

Edit:
    For what it's worth I also don't think any format based on age is the right thing to do either.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

That's kind of why I wanted a tourney with both veterans and new pilots now. It would be a way to train up to get that point later where things get super competitive.

The 2048 tracks are still giving me some trouble, so I need to practice up. I am definitely not ready to compete there. You might be right to just wait a bit.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Personally I think everybody in their respective countries should be trying to get a local Omega AG racing group together, just to bolster the amount of people playing online.
    Not having the 'Players Met' function active does hamper this somewhat, like if you happen to be playing out of your usual timezone and happen to see somebody from your in the same room, and want to shoot them a invite.

The vast majority of online play is on a Friday to Sunday from GMT +/- a few hours either side of 4pm to midnight GMT in the EURO region.

You look at the servers anywhere else and there is nothing happening.

We need to get the servers in countries other than the Euro zone humming, and getting small groups playing among themselves first, at their timezone is the way to do it......especially in the USA.
    Then think about tournaments.

There just aren't enough people outside the Euro zone to make any tournament a Global affair worthwhile logistically
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 26th June 2017 at 02:46 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

There are at most 4 lobbies in the US during peak times. Most of those aren't full either. What you say is right on the money blackwiggle. Though I've also noticed similar numbers for AUS during the same time. Which, considering it is the opposite time of day, is pretty good actually. How are lobbies during peak times down under?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Two or three rooms, with maybe 3 or 4 people in a room.
    Australia /NZ have a timezone problem as well, depending where you are situated, and if Daylight Savings is in operation, as New Zealand is right on the international timezone boarder at GMT +12, and Perth in western Australia is at GMT +8 and Sydney is GMT +10.
    Five hours difference can mean that somebody in NZ will be wanting to go to bed when somebody in W.A. is just coming online, which make it pretty hard to organize anything on a semi regular basis at a time that suits all.

I think most in out timezone basically give up and try to get a race wherever, even though the lag can be horrendous, because waiting around to get a race on the AUS server is just a waste of time for the most part.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I think most in out timezone basically give up and try to get a race wherever, even though the lag can be horrendous, because waiting around to get a race on the AUS server is just a waste of time for the most part.
    This is true, I usually play with 2 others (not on WZ) who live in Perth as well and we always just go on the Euro server

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Eu players don't have bed time it would seem. I don't recall ever seeing an empty list.

*looks at the clock* true that!