Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Scale Community Tournament

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Your logic is somewhat flawed as well though as not everyone has an interest in chasing trophies or world records. You could solely play multiplayer and be an absolute beast with barely any trophies.

The first thing I did with my PS3 and PS4 was turn off the notifications for trophies. I'm not sure I've looked at the trophies page even once on the PS4, for any game.

If you wanted to split the competition into divisions based on skill you would need a few people to play against everyone and make a judgment call on it with their own eyes.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

You don't have to chase trophies to get one though. The likelihood of not getting any trophy at all is highly unlikely. But then again having an ace pilot actively racing without anyone noticing is also really unlikely.

The point of the trophies is more in consideration of who had played before and who hadn't. That is easy to verify. But all this doesn't really matter. A junior league may not work for the same reason my idea won't, which is lack of interest or lack of available participants. If you are serious about some junior league, you'll need to expand the age range out from 18. I don't think there are a whole lot of pilots specifically in that range. At least not on wipeoutzone.

The sentiment from the majority seems to be a single pilot non team free for all. I'd still like to have a theme tournament at some time to encourage old and new pilots to race.
    Last edited by mannjon; 24th June 2017 at 11:01 PM.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Oh I'm all for the biggest, grandest tournaments with the most amount of participants as possible. I helped (along with a lot of others!) sort out the WO Cup when HD/Fury was out (and to this day I'm still bitter that on a crucial match against Japan on Sebenco I glitched through the floor and got stuck in a loop while I was in first! ). So yeah, I love this stuff. It was brilliant to be involved in it.

The point is that the game had been out for some time. We had a large, and very talented, pool of players all keen to get involved, and a number of other, smaller tournaments had already been very successful. A lot of players were already used to racing in the AVALON league which I swear had been going for ages, and posting their times on the SL / TT challenges each week. We'd also raced each other thousands of times on the same tracks. 2048 is like a brand new game for me on Omega!

Start small, build up interest, get a dedicated pool of players, work on the main event further down the line

Edit:
    For what it's worth I also don't think any format based on age is the right thing to do either.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

That's kind of why I wanted a tourney with both veterans and new pilots now. It would be a way to train up to get that point later where things get super competitive.

The 2048 tracks are still giving me some trouble, so I need to practice up. I am definitely not ready to compete there. You might be right to just wait a bit.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Personally I think everybody in their respective countries should be trying to get a local Omega AG racing group together, just to bolster the amount of people playing online.
    Not having the 'Players Met' function active does hamper this somewhat, like if you happen to be playing out of your usual timezone and happen to see somebody from your in the same room, and want to shoot them a invite.

The vast majority of online play is on a Friday to Sunday from GMT +/- a few hours either side of 4pm to midnight GMT in the EURO region.

You look at the servers anywhere else and there is nothing happening.

We need to get the servers in countries other than the Euro zone humming, and getting small groups playing among themselves first, at their timezone is the way to do it......especially in the USA.
    Then think about tournaments.

There just aren't enough people outside the Euro zone to make any tournament a Global affair worthwhile logistically
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 26th June 2017 at 02:46 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

There are at most 4 lobbies in the US during peak times. Most of those aren't full either. What you say is right on the money blackwiggle. Though I've also noticed similar numbers for AUS during the same time. Which, considering it is the opposite time of day, is pretty good actually. How are lobbies during peak times down under?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Two or three rooms, with maybe 3 or 4 people in a room.
    Australia /NZ have a timezone problem as well, depending where you are situated, and if Daylight Savings is in operation, as New Zealand is right on the international timezone boarder at GMT +12, and Perth in western Australia is at GMT +8 and Sydney is GMT +10.
    Five hours difference can mean that somebody in NZ will be wanting to go to bed when somebody in W.A. is just coming online, which make it pretty hard to organize anything on a semi regular basis at a time that suits all.

I think most in out timezone basically give up and try to get a race wherever, even though the lag can be horrendous, because waiting around to get a race on the AUS server is just a waste of time for the most part.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I think most in out timezone basically give up and try to get a race wherever, even though the lag can be horrendous, because waiting around to get a race on the AUS server is just a waste of time for the most part.
    This is true, I usually play with 2 others (not on WZ) who live in Perth as well and we always just go on the Euro server

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Eu players don't have bed time it would seem. I don't recall ever seeing an empty list.

*looks at the clock* true that!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Usually the US servers are a lot of Combat/Eliminator anyway. Did those a few times to get the Destroyer of 50 ship trophy then split. Combat ain't my thang. I see a lot of Venom and Flash lobbies in the UK, and I always feel bad joining them because a lot of new pilots hang there. I prefer slower speeds because I like the technical barrel roll challenges of slower speeds. I think because of my flag, I get underestimated too.

Example: A few days ago I got a PM from someone that was obviously owning the lobby until I showed up. After I joined, I was winning by a mean time of about 8 seconds with a standard deviation of about 2 seconds. He PM'd he and said that "I wasn't expecting skills like that from a US pilot, Thnx for races " Sent a new friend request immediately.

Is this a common thing? When you see a US pilot is the sentiment that we are easy targets? I only look for UK lobbies now, because truth be told, the competition is way more fierce in EU. There are a few ace pilots here that are decent. Kronicreaper is pretty decent as well as some others that aren't on my friend list, but I wish pilots like Wizardplay and Onlykpop would show up!

Also, are there any "elite" pilots that don't race Phantom? I don't see many elite pilots on lower speed classes which is a shame. I'm not up to snuff yet on Phantom, but I really love some close Venom/Flash barrel roll until you explode races.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    ...Also, are there any "elite" pilots that don't race Phantom? I don't see many elite pilots on lower speed classes which is a shame...
    Well, 'texasalex' and me almost never playing phantom, 2 world class grand masters, who love the technical aspect of the lower classes Phantom has not so many hard BR-combos, as Venom, Flash and even Rapier have. Rapier is my favorite online class, for SL and TT i prefer Venom. Phantom is just being good with lines + a BR here and there and you can fight for the win. In Venom up to Rapier good lines simply aren't enough, you've to know all the secret stuff to go for the crushing win.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

JF, for just tonight, you win the internet.

we should start a club! I think that it is far more challenging to race at a slower speed with the average speed of the next class up. When I race venom, I typically on average am racing at near Flash speed all the time with all the BRs. We need a High Rollers club. Count me in for a good Venom session sometime

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    In Venom up to Rapier good lines simply aren't enough, you've to know all the secret stuff to go for the crushing win.
    Well, even though this is also my credo, you have to admit that Phantom class has advanced in the last 3 years, where having good lines is not enough to be on top of the ladder anymore, at least as far as speedlaps are concerned. There have been a lot of extra double or triple rolls introduced which are also hard to perform. I know online multiplayer isnt s much affected by that progression because the player tend to be more conservative in that mode, but imo it is necessary to be mentioned.
    Still, Venom FTW!!

nu9get Guest

i don't call myself elite player but btw i play a lot of flash venom and rapier online, mannjon, i'm a phantom-based players but i play more flash tbh you can always find my in flash or venom lobbies ^_^

Timezone
    GMT + 4
    PSN ID
    Som_Shm

I would love to be in a tournament. But Microsoft influenced Sony into making Paid Online . I cant convince my dad into buying Ps Plus.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

i wonder if ps plus is the reason omega online isnt so active

on the first leaderboard in 2048 campaign, there are 115k players, also not everyone played 2048, so maybe make that 125k?
    however on online leaderboards, theres just 26k people, if you finish one match, you will be registered to that board. like... 4/5 didnt play online at all?

it used to be pretty active at release, like 45+ lobbies during peak time (all regions)

however nowadays during peak time, its just 15+ (only eu is active now, the other regions are a ghost town)

hopefully future sales/and free on ps plus can make the online more active.
    Last edited by Racingfan; 3rd July 2017 at 05:02 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I wish they re-introduced the Purchasable Online Passes for a game (alongside PS+). For people who do not have much time to play or don't play many different games, PS+ is a bit of a waste of money, which is why i think most people don't get it.
    A network pass for a single game you like to play online doesn't expire either whereas PS+ does, it kinda kills the online community, which is a bummer :/

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Quote Originally Posted by Racingfan View Post
    i wonder if ps plus is the reason omega online isnt so active

on the first leaderboard in 2048 campaign, there are 115k players, also not everyone played 2048, so maybe make that 125k?
    however on online leaderboards, theres just 26k people, if you finish one match, you will be registered to that board. like... 4/5 didnt play online at all?
    I was talking to my brother the other day about how when HD/Fury was out all I did was play Phantom multiplayer. Nothing else except a SL now and again. This time around I'm only doing TTs/SLs on 2048 and I haven't even touched HD or multiplayer yet!

I fully intend to, there's just so much content (and a full time job to go to!) that I just haven't found myself online yet.

@Ciper
    100% agree with PS+. I don't play enough games online to warrant it, but I keep paying for it.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I personally only got PS+ for online play and online saves. They really should do a budget PS+ (call it "PS=" for lols) that is $30 for a year, but doesn't have cloud saves or free games and is only for online play. I've downloaded 3 games ever from PS+ and I don't play them (with Life is Strange being the one exception).

Cloud saves are really useful, but it is so situational that it justify the cost. I pretty much just used it to transfer characters from PS3 Borderlands to PS4 Handsome Jack collection. If my PS4 ever dies, I might be very happy I have all those cloudsaves, but then I'd need a new PS4.