Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Scale Community Tournament

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    There are a few ace pilots here that are decent. Kronicreaper is pretty decent as well as some others that aren't on my friend list, but I wish pilots like Wizardplay and Onlykpop would show up!
    I haven't seen Wizardplay since HD/Fury on PS3. But onlykpop is still around. He goes by celestialemotion now.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

That would explain the run in and close loss I had with them the other day! Glad to know it's him.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    texasalex

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    Well, 'texasalex' and me almost never playing phantom, 2 world class grand masters, who love the technical aspect of the lower classes Phantom has not so many hard BR-combos, as Venom, Flash and even Rapier have. Rapier is my favorite online class, for SL and TT i prefer Venom. Phantom is just being good with lines + a BR here and there and you can fight for the win. In Venom up to Rapier good lines simply aren't enough, you've to know all the secret stuff to go for the crushing win.
    word.

nu9get Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    Well, 'texasalex' and me almost never playing phantom, 2 world class grand masters
    ahhh the modesty, that old friend xD

btw, talking about phantom, i find your 'just' a bit diminutive, sounding like it's the easiest speed class.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Well, it's a lot easier to learn Venom than Phantom, but it's also a lot easier to master Phantom than Venom, because of all the advanced SS/BR combo stuff Venom offers. No offense intended here, just a very straight explanation of how i see it.

PSN ID
    SoA_Booney

Agreed. Take nothing away from phantom racers though, to nail the lines consistently is very skilful.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I'm so glad the slow rollers crowd came out! I totally agree with just about all the points you guys (Booney and JF) are making. I'm average to slightly better than average at Phantom. I've spent more time devoted to learning how to be an acrobat.

It is SOOO much easier to learn venom and SOOO much more difficult to master. In my experience, to succeed on venom, you have to pretty much take risks all the time that will cause you to lose to an average pilot if you mess up. Those shortcuts require precision, as do the triple rolls. At least with Phantom if you slide out of a line you can recover. One missed shortcut and it's game over on venom!

I'd love to do a Venom Masters thing. I don't mind fighting for 3rd place. Do you guys feel that with all the rolls that sometimes you feel like you are racing at Flash or even Rapier speed on average for a track with lots of rolls?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    ...Do you guys feel that with all the rolls that sometimes you feel like you are racing at Flash or even Rapier speed on average for a track with lots of rolls?

it's not just a feeling, it's real

PSN ID
    SoA_Booney

Would love a venom masters tournament, standard racing and some pure racing too.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

count me in as well, im sure texasalex is in too

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Ok, i'm in. wait for me, please im gonna borrow a ps4 from my friend. Lol
    @JF: On PS3 HD, it was on one track even closer
    Vineta k Rev venom #1: 22.24s

Vineta k rev flash #2 : 22.13s who was even booney, so no sloth there
    Vineta k rev flash #3: 22.50s

It happened coincidently, while pushing the maximum out of the track. I noticed it later, but actually liked the idea to be faster than most flash pilots.

But as said, i'm in for some venom/flash tournaments - in August, though. Promised.
    Last edited by xI-eI2aiiZZa-Ix; 19th July 2017 at 01:27 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I'll gladly fight for 3rd! I'm in!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

I'd be interested in watching the "Slow Rollers Tourney". Someone please upload those we can see them.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Would we be seeing something soon @Hellfire?

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Sorry, been really busy. Suddenly decided to complicate my life by trying to buy a house.

I've been thinking over how we could do this so we might be able to have as wide an ability range taking part as possible, but it's incredibly difficult as there is such an enormous gulf between the best players and beginners. There's only one way I can forsee to try and reduce the gulf a bit - turn off barrel rolls. If they stay on we may as well just give out the awards now.

Is this something people would agree to? If we do do a tournament we MUST make sure it is as accessible as possible to everyone, not just us.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tug_14

It would be good if this type of tournament is the opportunity to bring new players and allow them to shine.

And as hellfire says, there is too much difference between the top class players that we find here and the average quidam who would like to try out wipeout. For me the best solution would be that the top player does not do this tournament but that they are working to promote it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mikahail

As Hellfire and tug said, it should be the most accessible possible : forbidding top players to compete, no barrel rolls... both solutions are good IMO.

Why not apply both ? A newcomer tournament with no BRs could appeal a lot of casual players and, if we're short on players, let the top players join since the gap would be slightly reduced.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

I don't think we should exclude the top players, that's a little silly. If the barrel rolls are off it just becomes about the racing lines and use of weapons, which I think should be a pretty even playing field.

Side note, happy birthday Mikahail
    Last edited by TheConzio; 25th August 2017 at 04:24 PM.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

If a tournament with barrel rolls off, it wont help much imo because of skill cuts in 2048 (newer players may not know about it) Pickup RNG in 2048 (turbo spam spam and you can get 2-4 each lap no problem) and theres many spots you can use turbo in 2048 and weapons are very weak in 2048 and extremely unbalanced ships (feisar prototype on C-A on any track except sol, queens mall and altima) and AG systems on every A+ track. Yeah, 2048 has huge balancing issues

unless the tournament is HD only

Hellfire, is it gonna be weapons on/off/pure racing? or just weapons on?
    Last edited by Racingfan; 25th August 2017 at 07:19 PM.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I'm open to ideas, but I think it'll be weapons on as I can see the majority of non-elite players favouring this. Plus it does give less experienced players a chance to catch up. If we do 2048 I may suggest restrictions on craft type dependent on the game mode, and I would be willing to bet that very few of the less experienced players would be up for racing on A+.