Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Scale Community Tournament

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Default Large Scale Community Tournament

As the post implies, we need one. I tried posting some ideas in the arena, but I got no interest or replies. Can we pleeeeeeeeeease, work on an official event that isn't just limited to EU?

Hopefully there is some interest. If there isn't we should stop taking about a new wipeout game because it won't happen without community events.

Is there really no interest in doing a huge community-based event or is it just that posting in the arena gets overlooked?

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    we should stop taking about a new wipeout game because it won't happen without community events.
    wat

no.

PSN ID
    Justice_Curtains

I'd be interested in a tourney or something along those lines

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Some nice quickly arranged events would be cool. Hate the Bling Brigade trophy on the PS3 if you like, but it actually helped organizing some events and getting to know some of you more "personal" back then.

Hell, I even created a YouTube channel with Cipher back then where we posted our recordings Great times!

So yeah, I'd be up for some online events although I am still a bit out of shape^^

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    wat

no.
    Hoping that was sarcastic... but if not, since WO has become such a niche title, we need that type of community event. To not only raise awareness, but take up as much bandwidth on the servers that the participation rate can't be ignored. We can talk about what we'd like and speculate about the future of WO all we want, but at some point we need to start taking action.

In the past, tournaments have not only sparked interest, but they have lead to ongoing events. Take Avalon for example. Based on your join date, I'm sure you know what that was. There is still an ongoing thread for that tournament, and that was ages ago. While Avalon is not a specific event anymore, it has lead to constant online participation of regular players, and has led to things like the friday night flyabouts. We need this to show the IP keyholders that there is not only interest, but that it is a stable and constant interest.

Since this is not an official thing yet, I'm curious to what people would like to see for a well organized large community event. GMT times can be problematic, but I personally don't mind staying up late or getting up early.

I have a couple of ideas:

1. Start a league. Kind of like bowling. This would start out as an ongoing set of match ups against teams of 4 (so you can have 2 teams face off). Once the official event is over, it would be cool to have a casual league type of play where you get together periodically and have team match ups. This could either be a huge event, or a smaller ongoing event based on participation.

2. "Wipeout Generations" The idea here is to pair up new pilots with HD/Fury and 2048 veterans. Choose you own team, but each team would consist of newer pilots and those pilots that got a Transcendance medal for the older games. To keep things competitive for the new pilots, I suggest doubling their score. So a 4th place finish would be worth 8 points, and so on. Example: two teams face off. Each team has two veterans, and each team also has two newer pilots. First, let's assume the veteran pilots finish 1-4.

1. 8 points (veteran)
    2. 6 points (veteran)
    3. 5 points (veteran)
    4. 4 points (veteran)
    5. 3*2 = 6 points (new pilot)
    6. 2*2 = 4 points (new pilot)
    7. 1*2 = 2 points (new pilot)
    8. 1 point for trying (new pilot)

Now, let's assume that the two vets place 3rd and 4th, but the two newer pilots on the same team place 5th and 6th. This is where it gets interesting, because 5+4+6+4 = 19 total points. 8+6+2+1 = 17. So in a matchup result like that, the new pilots on your team just won you the match. I think this keeps things balanced where everyone can have a good time.

I believe this system would make the newer pilots feel more connected and that they made a difference. Also, if a new pilot were to place above a veteran, they REALLY start to make an impact, because just placing 4th would give them as many points as the winner. If a new pilot made a miraculous 1st place finish, they would get the point equivalent of winning 2 races. This would be enough to keep me on my toes for sure, and winning a match would be based heavily on coaching your teammates. This is kind of like telling all the elite pilots to put their money where their mouth is.
    Last edited by mannjon; 22nd June 2017 at 09:38 PM.

Great ideas. It's just that believing a new title rests solely on what would ultimately be a couple extra lobbies when sometimes there's exactly 0 online lobby in Europe midweek during the day and no more than 5-6 during the weekend is a bit naive. I can guarantee that Sony won't be looking at that at all. I command you for the motivation though!
    Last edited by AdHoc; 23rd June 2017 at 01:56 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I mean we gotta do something, and regular events wouldn't hurt. It isn't the answer; I realize that.

But this is really more of just scratching an itch. I mean we finally get a PS4 release. Many of us figured we would never even get that too. I remember all the excitement when those "Wipeout Deception" mockups emerged. And now that we have it, where are all the epic tournaments? Just feels like that aspect is missing, no?

Has anything been planned at all on a grander scale?

Suggestion:
    Seeing as this topic is currently debating a way to increase online activity for certain reasons, how about this.
    Aside from any tournaments;

Create a psn party chat (the type you stay in, even when you go offline).
    Invite all active members from to forums, and maybe even all active players online that you come across who dont know about this community, but who seem to be serious about wipeout.

An example: for those who played wo2048 on vita and have the trophies, there was a trophy to complete 210 challenges online. Some requiring you to win. However the game was deserted online and you needed 4 in a lobby to start the game.

I created a group chat and invited players based on trophy stats and recent trophy activity. At one point we had 20-25 people in the chat. Some installed the chat on their phones and tablets, i did this as well. If there was anyone available to play, they would post in the chat and sometimes 10 minutes later we would be playing online.

I think we could easily get 50-100 people in a chat for WOOC.
    Might help setting up a tournament in the future too.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I will be trying to put together something over the next month just to test the waters. XDEV have already told me they will help publicise any large scale community events that will be running so exposure won't be an issue Any and all ideas for a format are welcome!

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Small ones that don't require a lot of time worked very well previously. It would be a good way to get people into the swing of things?

The SL / TT challenges where you had to use certain ships was hugely popular.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire_WZ View Post
    I will be trying to put together something over the next month just to test the waters. XDEV have already told me they will help publicise any large scale community events that will be running so exposure won't be an issue Any and all ideas for a format are welcome!
    Let me know if you need some ideas. I've posted a couple. I also would like to handle some of the marketing efforts graphics-wise or official soundtrack-esque, like what has been done in the past (there was a track list for Equilibrium and a youtube link so people could tune in to the same song list which I thought was kind of cool).

Are themed tournaments still viable? Or does this need to be more of a free for all just race type of thing?

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

I think you're thinking too hard about this mate. Any idea is viable if people like it and want to get involved

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I would suggest that it isn't something team based. That puts a lot of pressure on all team members to turn up for the tournament to work. However, I do like theidea of something that may put newer players on equal footing with more experienced ones. I don't want to launch something that would only be seen as something that could be won by the elite.

PSN ID
    Revolucion070

Maybe separate league for younger (under 18 or so) pilots? The age would be the only fair criteria by which we could divide players (It would also indicate experience level at some rate, more or less).

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

2 omega cups? one for newer and one for the elite?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Maybe separate league for younger (under 18 or so) pilots? The age would be the only fair criteria by which we could divide players (It would also indicate experience level at some rate, more or less).
    Tell that to Yeldar back when he set all his WR's. Age is definitely not a determining factor in skill. I consider myself pretty good, and your train of thought would seem to definitely apply here, because I've played and owned each title.

However the truth is that I just know the game physics because I've played it before. I think a better criteria would be something like "who has played in the past" and "who is fairly new to this." I can't race well on the original anymore. I know because I tried it yesterday. It was not a heartwarming experience. But I remember being around 10 maybe, when the first WO came out, and I recall beating the whole thing on both speeds in just under an hour or so. I would argue I was waaaaaaay better at it back then, but then again, it had different physics than what I'm used to now and it takes time to adjust.

I am not so good at 2048, despite having it on the Vita. Once again, age doesn't have anything to do with it because I was ironically far better at it on the Vita with what I would argue are inferior controls.

I am glad to see younger pilots here though. That was actually kind of where I was going with the Generations idea, only it wasn't age, but familiarity that would have come into play. Hell, I can tell my reflexes are worse than they were 5 years ago, and I'm under 35. Also, there is no way to move into a different tier of pilot if age is the restriction. Saying "pros only" means anyone can join, but expect the competition to be fierce. If you aren't pro enough, it will certainly show. But restricting the already somewhat small community on things a pilot has no control over doesn't really do the community much good. Also, if I ever stop playing (and I won't) I'd like to pass the torch to people I've raced with before for their skill. Besides, you can learn a lot from the older pilots. Fun story, m first race was a full lobby that had Kalidescopic1er (can't remember how to spell that). Anyways, I lost by about 10 seconds (which was a little disheartening because I thought I was good at this having just beat the campaigns). I learned my lesson that there was elite difficulty and then there was "online elite difficulty." Anyways I got a PM asking me to join a race with a silver ship. I was like "why would I do that? Doesn't everyone fly silver?" After that race I got bling brigade. Easy Peasy. No planning required. Later you learn the intricacies of each track by, guess again, the pros (and youtube)!

The only exception to this is Drunken Master, which legally you would not qualify for! But trust me, Drunken Master races are easy to win if you cheat by being sober I guess we could do team drunk vs team sober. That might be fun. I stop barrel rolling and start "bllrarel rolng" off of the track and such. My only motivation to finish 1st is that I have more time to drink in between races!

And about my tournament idea, since teams are harder to do (Quakes anyone? Bombs? Mines? oops?), maybe the team idea would fare better in Pure Racing, which to me is just multiplayer Time Trials (and is awesome).

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    theconzio

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire_WZ View Post
    Any and all ideas for a format are welcome!
    Just a classic and simple tournament with heats, semi finals and a final.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Personally, I think a grand tournament is better once the game has been out a few months? Plenty of players are still finding their feet, practicing, solely playing racebox etc.

Competitions where you enter as an individual are far easier to manage. Especially if it's a 1vs1 format, or players can simply 'drop-in and drop-out' of a lobby. It's no small feat trying to get players from all over the world in the same lobby, at the same time.

I made a 'winner stays on' suggestion where the challenger could pick the speed, track etc. Then even a complete newbie could compete in an event where they feel most comfortable. It doesnt have to be this obviously! But it's just an example where all you need are 2 players, 1 race, and thats it. No organisation needed at all.

PSN ID
    Revolucion070

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    Tell that to Yeldar back when he set all his WR's. Age is definitely not a determining factor in skill. I consider myself pretty good, and your train of thought would seem to definitely apply here, because I've played and owned each title.

However the truth is that I just know the game physics because I've played it before. I think a better criteria would be something like "who has played in the past" and "who is fairly new to this." I can't race well on the original anymore. I know because I tried it yesterday. It was not a heartwarming experience. But I remember being around 10 maybe, when the first WO came out, and I recall beating the whole thing on both speeds in just under an hour or so. I would argue I was waaaaaaay better at it back then, but then again, it had different physics than what I'm used to now and it takes time to adjust.

I am not so good at 2048, despite having it on the Vita. Once again, age doesn't have anything to do with it because I was ironically far better at it on the Vita with what I would argue are inferior controls.

I am glad to see younger pilots here though. That was actually kind of where I was going with the Generations idea, only it wasn't age, but familiarity that would have come into play. Hell, I can tell my reflexes are worse than they were 5 years ago, and I'm under 35. Also, there is no way to move into a different tier of pilot if age is the restriction. Saying "pros only" means anyone can join, but expect the competition to be fierce. If you aren't pro enough, it will certainly show. But restricting the already somewhat small community on things a pilot has no control over doesn't really do the community much good. Also, if I ever stop playing (and I won't) I'd like to pass the torch to people I've raced with before for their skill. Besides, you can learn a lot from the older pilots. Fun story, m first race was a full lobby that had Kalidescopic1er (can't remember how to spell that). Anyways, I lost by about 10 seconds (which was a little disheartening because I thought I was good at this having just beat the campaigns). I learned my lesson that there was elite difficulty and then there was "online elite difficulty." Anyways I got a PM asking me to join a race with a silver ship. I was like "why would I do that? Doesn't everyone fly silver?" After that race I got bling brigade. Easy Peasy. No planning required. Later you learn the intricacies of each track by, guess again, the pros (and youtube)!

The only exception to this is Drunken Master, which legally you would not qualify for! But trust me, Drunken Master races are easy to win if you cheat by being sober I guess we could do team drunk vs team sober. That might be fun. I stop barrel rolling and start "bllrarel rolng" off of the track and such. My only motivation to finish 1st is that I have more time to drink in between races!

And about my tournament idea, since teams are harder to do (Quakes anyone? Bombs? Mines? oops?), maybe the team idea would fare better in Pure Racing, which to me is just multiplayer Time Trials (and is awesome).

Of course age doesn't determine anything. What I meant is that there would be no other way to divide players by "experience". How would you verify, if someone played WipEout before? Also, "junior" league would promote the game among the younger pilots; also making their own effort into community, making new-gen of speedfreaks.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

It would be far easier to verify experience because that is something we can all see and confirm/deny ourselves. You could look for previously earned trophies on past games, posted lap record times or similar criteria. It would be far harder to verify that someone is within a certain age range. You'd have to get Id's or something or base it on trust. If someone claims they have played before, anyone can verify that statement by a quick trophy lookup. The likelihood of someone owning HD/Fury or 2048 and NOT having earned a single trophy is incredibly unlikely. I can't look up your age though. You can post whatever you like to the thread about pilot ages, but the only way to verify that is to see an id, which is not safe. That and you could just show someone else's id and no one would know. Your method is impossible to verify.

The idea of any prohibitive league based on uncontrollable factors is not a good idea no matter how you look at it. If I post a tournament for people that like to Pure Race, anyone can join and if you don't fancy weapons, you enter at your own risk. If you post a 18 and under tournament, limiting entry just ensures that no one will participate and it will be off putting to all the people that have played and bought these games since before you were born. Presently, there are only 11 pilots 18 or younger according to the pilot age thread. You might could get everyone interested and have enough for a fully lobby, but that is highly unlikely in my past experience.

Go for it if that is what you like, but trust me. Having played this game a loooooong time, you'll likely have a difficult time rounding up enough interest or people to play that wouldn't just prefer to play in a larger scale open tournament type of thing and I don't recall anyone attempting to have a restrictive league like this before (I could be wrong). It just doesn't vibe with a community feeling imo.
    Last edited by mannjon; 24th June 2017 at 08:33 PM.