Thread: AI difference between HD/Fury & 2048

Timezone
    GMT -10
    PSN ID
    Riamusama

Default AI difference between HD/Fury & 2048

Is it just me, or are the HD and Fury campaigns much easier than 2048? Maybe I just completely suck, but the requirements for so many of the campaign events in 2048 are brutally difficult, if not completely impossible for me. HD & Fury are like a comfortable pair of old shoes in comparison.

In the combat events, the AI seems nearly psychic, side shifting away as soon as I fire rockets, etc.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

HD Fury is very much easier than the PS3 version was. I always play on Elite difficulty and when I win eliminator events with 300 points the best AI has about 50 points so something is definitely a bit strange. 2048 campaign is about the same in difficulty as the Vita version except from A+-challenges which seem to be a bit easier. In 14 or 15 races I won all 10.
    HD Fury Elite difficulty seems to be quite a bit kinder to you in Omega Collection. The PS3 Elite AI were brutal to say the least.
    Last edited by multibodydynamics; 17th June 2017 at 06:40 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -10
    PSN ID
    Riamusama

I know what the issue is, I suck at 2048. I simply need to put a lot more time into these tracks and ships. I've never bought any handheld consoles, so Pure, Pulse & 2048 were the only Wipeouts I had never played before. Played the original in '95, XL a year or so later, the Nintendo 64 Wipeout, Wip3out, Fusion, then finally HD/Fury and Omega Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by multibodydynamics View Post
    HD Fury Elite difficulty seems to be quite a bit kinder to you in Omega Collection. The PS3 Elite AI were brutal to say the least.
    Yeah, I played HD and Fury on the PS3 quite a bit, until I bought a PS4, then I gave my PS3 to my daughter. Playing HD and Fury on the PS4 felt the same to me as the PS3, albeit with better graphics.
    Last edited by Rasalom; 17th June 2017 at 10:09 PM.

PSN ID
    Kazzy-Mac

Yeah, AI in HD/Fury is terrible. I already made a complaint about how easy Eliminator is suspecting that it's a bug.

In races they aren't too bad, but they're still really easy to beat. Zone is still pretty hard, but only because you always start 8th and can get screwed by the leaders trolling you. Eliminator is a cakewalk, I've never lost vs them. :/

2048 AI is brutal as hell and I love it. No complaints there (Racebox difficulty could be scaled better though).

The main issue is that there's no consistency in the AI's behaviour. They shouldn't be easier in one side of the game and difficult in the other side. I'm sure one of the devs can easily update the AI logic in HD/Fury to make them tougher on Elite.

Timezone
    GMT -10
    PSN ID
    Riamusama

One other odd thing about 2048, the announcer in the Zone events says "Mack" instead of "Mach". Makes me laugh a little every time.

How do you pronounce "Mach" in English?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

^This, "Mack" is correct
    At first I didn't even know how else you would pronounce it, but apparently in the US it's more like "Mhock" o_O

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    aerobie2

I'm guessing in WipEout, a game from England, they use the British English pronunciation. "Mack" in England. "Mock" in North America. (Note that neither is incorrect, on the global scale. Just each is correct, or at least more standard, in its own region.)

I'm from Canada, and I taught high school in Newcastle, England for a couple of years. The students would naturally laugh up a riot for every word I pronounced differently. Their favourite was the way I said "Call of Duty". To them, it sounded like I was saying "Call of Doody" while they said it "Call of Dyu-Tee". Tomayto, tomahto, eh?
    Last edited by dontmindlosing; 17th June 2017 at 10:31 PM.

PSN ID
    Kazzy-Mac

Yeah, over here Mach is pronounced 'mack'. Well, more-or-less.

Gotta love accents and phonetic differentiations. It cracks me up every time my American buddies try to say the naughty T-word because they pronounced it with a 'wot' sound. But they find ways to rib back at me so it's all good in the end.

... I pronounce 'duty' as "dyoo-'ee." ... because my accent is weird and I don't pronounce the letter T in a lot of words. :/

The funny thing is, linguistically speaking, neither is right, since it’s originally an Austrian name, pronounced ’maχ’ (soft ’ch’, not strictly ’max’)

PSN ID
    Kazzy-Mac

I know, but I don't know how to describe the pronounciation of the 'ch', I know it's not a hard 'ck' sound and I can't think of any comparable example words.

Timezone
    GMT -10
    PSN ID
    Riamusama

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    The funny thing is, linguistically speaking, neither is right, since it’s originally an Austrian name, pronounced ’maχ’ (soft ’ch’, not strictly ’max’)
    Indeed. The German pronunciation of the letter "a" does not sound like "Mack".

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by Rasalom View Post
    One other odd thing about 2048, the announcer in the Zone events says "Mack" instead of "Mach". Makes me laugh a little every time.
    LOL! We should get a beer the next time you are in the lower 48, I giggle a little everytime I hear it too. For me I'm reminded of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and I'm like "ok, gotta focus, otherwise Mack will karate chop my ship with bad karate." I get that there are different dialects, but still it is fun to know that someone else thinks like me.

Now there is one thing that all the pro's are forgetting: we all have transcendence trophies from HD and Fury. At some point, the elite AI was a challenge to us. If it was a challenge for us now, no new pilots would play and it would seem truly impossible and hopeless for them to ever complete. I bought Omega knowing the real challenge was going to be from online play -not the AI. I only had a setback on one of the zonebattles personally, and everything else just took one try on elite, and the zonebattle trouble was just because I don't play much zone.

What might seem like a cakewalk to us is objectively more difficult to new pilots. I find the AI from both sides relatively easy, but that is because I owned HD/Fury and 2048. I will point out one thing that is undeniably true: AI barrel rolls in 2048 often and effectively. I've only seen it a handful of times on elite on the HD Fury side.