Thread: [DEVS] Any chance of allowing us to use custom music in Omega?

Timezone
    GMT -10
    PSN ID
    Riamusama

Default [DEVS] Any chance of allowing us to use custom music in Omega?

One of the things I loved the most about Wipeout HD & Fury was the ability to use my own music collection in the game. I'm an old Trance-Hippie and really prefer the sound of Goa/Psytrance & that weird atmospheric Tech-Trance by the likes of Spirallianz/X-Dream/The Delta.

Playing Zone with some Juno Reactor playing is just pure bliss for me.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

0%

this is because of sony's new policy

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...qg&sh=d4d3f204

however... you can use mp3 music as background music using a usb stick with media player app from PS store

Timezone
    GMT -10
    PSN ID
    Riamusama

sadface

Thanks for the tip about the media player app. I'll have to go without the effects with the music. Just not a fan of the more pop-ish side of EDM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

A little extra info about the usb player: the app is a companion app for the media player which is a free download as stated above. Unlike computers though the PS4 will not recognize the usb drive unless you plug it in AFTER you've already booted it up. It took me 15 minutes to figure that out because I suffer from stupid on rare occasions. Also, you have to play the usb player from your homescreen, then start WOO (well actually I guess you could start WOO first and then use the PS button to return).

That part is a little annoying, because to change songs you'll have to go back to your homescreen to change the track BUT it doesn't suspend WOO when you do this and it is fast enough to change tracks before a race begins like WOHD was when you had custom tracks from your hard drive. You can't move to the next track by using the touchpad like you can with the in game soundtrack either (maybe we can get this is a patch plz?). Also, the track effects don't work with USB player music.There is also no volume levelizing, so some tracks may be quieter in game than others. One final note, you control the music volume in two places: 1 in the app itself, and 2 from the audio options in game. I advise you set this up before racing. I like the race effects at 50%, and the music at 100%, but if you have the in game music at 100% AND the USB player volume at 100% you won't hear the sound effects at all.

Timezone
    GMT -10
    PSN ID
    Riamusama

Thank you very much, mannjon.

Quote Originally Posted by Racingfan View Post
    0%

this is because of sony's new policy

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...qg&sh=d4d3f204

however... you can use mp3 music as background music using a usb stick with media player app from PS store
    That's sad and slightly frustrating. If it is to do with the share button, I wonder why it couldn't work like the media player does now? If you record your game play then the media player audio isn't recorded with it. Just the in game sound effects.

I'm finding it very tedious trying to balance the volume of my MP3s with the in game audio, because they vary slightly. I wish there was at least a quick way of altering that. A bit like if you use the Gold headset, you can balance chat and game audio with the + and - buttons on the front side of the headset.

You could normalise the volume of all your MP3s with software like Audacity, but it’s tedious.

I’m not a big fan of WOOC’s playlist, so I for one will have to find a decent solution.

I’m actually thinking of playing music from my PC at the same time.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

A good way to balance out the audio is to leave the in game music at 100%, so you don't have to worry about that part of the equation. Once you do that, then modify the USB player sound until it matches and keep it there.

However as AdHoc has mentioned, you will need an app to normalize mp3 volume, because mine are all over the place. Some are downloaded, some are ripped from cds, some are originals that I mixed that have yet a different volume when I export to mp3. So to avoid differences in volume this step is an absolute must.

PSN ID
    Kazzy-Mac

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    That part is a little annoying, because to change songs you'll have to go back to your homescreen to change the track BUT it doesn't suspend WOO when you do this and it is fast enough to change tracks before a race begins like WOHD was when you had custom tracks from your hard drive.
    If you hold down the PS button a side-menu comes up. I *think* that side-menu has media controls for the built-in music player, but I haven't used it in a long time so can't 100% confirm. I *do* remember that the controls for music volume playback shows up there.

If I'm right, it should save you having to back up to the home screen to load the music player app to change songs, and keeps WOOC visible in the background (to an extent) so you'll be able to see if the track loads whilst you're still looking for a song.

Other things, such as friends list, options to start broadcasting, restart/rest mode/turn off, etc, are in that little side-menu too. It's pretty handy.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I haven’t checked yet with the music player, but at least Spotify appears in the side menu. Basically it’s just long-press the PS-Button + short press R1 to play the next track. Hit the PS-Button again and you’re back in the game. Maybe not as convenient as pressing the touchpad, but not bad either.

Talking of the touchpad: this is the first time I play on PS4 and everytime I wanna pause the game, surely enough I hit the touchpad by accident and change the song

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Pime_Taradox234

^This happens to me too often, too! Not exactly the biggest fan of the placement of the Options/Start button cause of that, haha.

PSN ID
    scalliano

It's a shame that the game couldn't be made to work in tandem with the USB player in some way - the visualisations in Zone are ace and all those extra EQ effects that have been added in for powerups add so much finesse to the audio. Coming off the back of the PS3 game it feels like a step backwards.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by KazzyMac View Post
    If you hold down the PS button a side-menu comes up. I *think* that side-menu has media controls for the built-in music player, but I haven't used it in a long time so can't 100% confirm. I *do* remember that the controls for music volume playback shows up there.

If I'm right, it should save you having to back up to the home screen to load the music player app to change songs, and keeps WOOC visible in the background (to an extent) so you'll be able to see if the track loads whilst you're still looking for a song.

Other things, such as friends list, options to start broadcasting, restart/rest mode/turn off, etc, are in that little side-menu too. It's pretty handy.
    Yes. As I had pointed this out earlier, I can confirm how this works. If you use the USB player, the PlayStation button will not suspend WOO to access the USB player. It is fast and easy to do and won't disrupt play.