Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help: How to learn WO2048?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    The first thing I did was just to go around every track really slowly to find where all the skill cuts were, a lot of them you wouldn't notice if traveling at speed, and since they can make your times faster, it would seem best practice to learn the quickest route first, then improve your times from there.
    Also, there are some skill cuts that are just as fast as the normal route, but provides access to barrel rolls that are not normally accessible. Once you find skill cuts, try to figure out how to effectively use them too!

In addition to blackwiggle's already excellent advice is to do the same thing to find all the barrel roll spots. You cannot elite pass a lot of the TT challenges without knowing all of the easier ones.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

So, mannjon, I followed your advice to align my racing line to the speed pads and as simple and obvious it may seem Ė it works quite well! Sure I donít catch them all (yet?), but it works as a general guide. I figured I should start with A+ right away and set a timer to 30 minutes or longer doing nothing but speed lap for a single track. After 30 minutes: On to the next one! Needless to say I didnít do all tracks yet. Sure thereís still plenty of room for improvement, but after a few laps you get used to the speed and see the track more clearly. Except for Unity Square of course, because this track is a nightmare for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    skill cuts [Ö] can make your times faster, it would seem best practice to learn the quickest route first, then improve your times from there.
    Yes. Emphasis on can. Some skill cuts, even if you perform them correctly and donít bump into walls, do not have any positive impact on your racing line unless youíre barrel rolling. So theyíre basically just harder routes without benefit if you cannot perform a barrel roll because of low shield energy or mines all over the place. A failed barrel roll can even make you lose control, making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    Once you find skill cuts, try to figure out how to effectively use them too!
    Exactly. I set a priority list for learning a track yesterday: 1. Get around the track without bumping into walls. Try to avoid too much airbraking and sideshifting. Use the speed pads for guidance. 2. Try to take skill cuts where possible. Focus on smooth entry and exit to keep a clean racing line. Sideshifting may help. 3. Apply barrel rolls.

Consequently my lap times were longer at first than they could have been if I had chosen the Ąeasyď routes and applied barrel rolls from the start. But I want to make sure to get a good racing line first and get better from there on. After all itís not about competition yet at this point.

My plan is to do the other tracks next. And the whole thing again after that. Feels a bit like doing homework Ė havenít had that for a long time Not too bad after all; after ~40 laps you kind of get into the flow.

I chose Qirex Speed. For now, it gets me trough the curves nicely. Lets see if it works out in the long run. Sadly, on some open track sections I canít quite figure out where the track walls really are. Theyíre invisible and seem a bit off sometimes. So I try to cut a few centimeters and see me slamming into rocks. But well, thatís a story for another time.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

And for what it is worth, I really struggled with the time trials at first but it was because I was using the wrong ship. The best ship for just elite passing all the time trials was the Feisar prototype ship. It is a little tough to unlock and is the hardest prototype challenge for me. I even had fewer trouble with the piranha prototype.

But once you unlock it the Feisar prototype will serve you well for time trials. If you didn't know, the ship starts out at sub-whatever speed you are on, but your overall max speed potential increases with each speed pad hit. When fully charged, your speed will be faster than the speed class you are on. This works well for tracks that have a lot of pads up front because you'll be going faster than the speed class for the majority of the race. It can make a10 second or more difference.
    Last edited by mannjon; 16th June 2017 at 01:22 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Love this knowledge being passed on about Feisar Prototype .....Only at the Wipeoutzone

I'm finding similar 'Secret's ' playing Formula Fusion , but problem is they might change...Oh well ..... I live in interesting times...see what happens.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

A little tip I also found when playing online in the 2048 side, watch out for the pilots using the Feisar prototypes. You'll be humming along in first place and out of no where get passed by someone in the prototype! Your only chance at beating a skilled prototype pilot is to hit them with something when they pass by, because damage from impacts will make the Feisar lose speed counters and slow their max speed potential down.

If you want to use it effectively in a race, you'll be vulnerable for the first 1/4 - 1/3 of every lap because people can catch up to you when you aren't cheat speeding.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    BurnoutSonicGmng

The best way to learn is to just play different tracks in Zone Mode to learn the track layouts and also get used to higher speeds. Also, if you want to tackle the most difficult tracks, use the AG-Systems Agility or Prototype since they have the best handling (warning though. Prototype's speed is only at 50)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Does someone take the last skillcut in Capital reach? (in A or A+ I mean, I'm not interested in low speed classes).

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I would if somebody was on my arse and no other way of 'Getting Away'....it's tactics really when you get down to it....Fight or Flee.....depends how confident you are at getting to the finish line first ...That's Wipeout

I look at it this way.
    If somebody want's to fire a weapon at me, that usually means [unless some serious control re- mapping] that they are going to be taking their thumb off the Thrust button at one stage, so they can fire that weapon.
    If you know the tracks well enough, and have weapon alert active, you can sort where and when your opponent is waiting/wanting to use their weapon.
    Armed with that knowledge, if crafty enough, and using your HUD well enough, you watch and play it out like a fast moving chess game.

I've see really good players do just this , and on occasions, managed to get in the same zone with players of my same talent, and we have played out the same .....hugely satisfying for all playing.....mostly for both players that participated one on one, regardless of result.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 21st June 2017 at 06:29 PM.

PSN ID
    Kazzy-Mac

... I don't take my thumb off the thrust to fire, though. I just slide it up across the square button so I'm pressing both, then slide back down. Same for absorb - slide across.

You don't do that?

But yeah, mindgames in combat racing can be pretty intense. ((I used to play Blur back in 2010-2013 and dear Lord, I was a nightmare when it came to mindgames ))

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Yep. ^ this. I call it the weapon slide.

About the mind games, there is nothing more intimidating than a pilot holding on to a turbo for me. If I'm 2 seconds ahead and I notice someone holding a turbo, I know they are just waiting for that shortcut. Even worse is when I have a turbo I'm holding and someone else does too. It puts the pressure on to land that shortcut or lose the race. Another fun thing to do is when a full lobby chooses the same ship or they all choose a Fury version, and then you change to the non Fury version or use a different ship. I had a race the other night where it was nothing but Fury Icaras. I swapped out to a Tigron, won the race, and then everyone else swapped to Tigron! Given this was not a lobby full of pros, but still I thought it was a little funny. It's like "what does this Tigron guy know that I don't? Guess I'll find out."