Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega Collection tops the UK sales charts

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by Force Ten View Post
    Good on ya fellows for putting Wipeout at the top. I wish us in Yankland could do the same D:
    Yay! ANOTHER AMERICAN!!!!!! I totally feel you on this one. Imagine living the southeast here. I wonder how far away the nearest pilot is to me. So far its you Force.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Don't shoot the messenger, but I just went and did the slowest lap possible on one of the first cells of the 2048 Campaign [Metro Park TT C class], figuring that most people are at least going to try it when they first get the game, so it would give a reasonably accurate number on sales world wide.
    Slowest time was 127 minutes, so I guess somebody else thought of doing the same thing, or died while playing this cell.

58,956 times recorded, so even being generous, I estimate under 65 thousand Omega Packs sold.....That's World Wide.

Sony would need to sell 4 times that amount just to cover the costs of building a totally new Wipeout.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 15th June 2017 at 10:44 AM.

Is it possible there’s more than one server, with several sets of times?
    Or maybe the leaderboard doesn’t actually display all the times?

Also, this means Tekken 7 and DiRT 5 sold less than 65.000 copies in their first and second week, since they were behind WOOC last week.
    So something’s not right with this way of making an estimation

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

There would be only one leader board, it would be pointless have multiple ones.
    I allowed for 6,000 people playing offline.

As for Tekken 7 and DiRT 5, are times and game statistics automatically recorded on a online leader board?

The thing is with the Omega Pack, all times are recorded, be it Campaign, Racebox or online races, so unless your PS4 isn't connected to the internet, your time WILL be recorded, and since you will have only one time recorded for any particular track and race type, and that applies to everybody, it's as good a indicator of how many people bought the game as you are going to get without official figures from Sony.

I'll try another track and race type and see if there is a huge variance between it and the figures I just posted, but I suspect to find pretty much the same......I really hope I could be wrong....we shall see.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 15th June 2017 at 12:35 PM.

There could be a number of technical reasons why the number you reported wouldn’t be accurate. I can think of a few, but I’ll let the actual developers shine some light on this, even if I know they’re not supposed to discuss sales numbers.

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

This is still only the first week. What happens post launch is equally as important.

I'm going to throw a controversial idea out there - but I'd be all up for seeing micro transactions in Wipeout. So long as they were purely for aesthetics.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger, but I just went and did the slowest lap possible on one of the first cells of the 2048 Campaign [Metro Park TT C class], figuring that most people are at least going to try it when they first get the game, so it would give a reasonably accurate number on sales world wide.
    Slowest time was 127 minutes, so I guess somebody else thought of doing the same thing, or died while playing this cell.

58,956 times recorded, so even being generous, I estimate under 65 thousand Omega Packs sold.....That's World Wide.

Sony would need to sell 4 times that amount just to cover the costs of building a totally new Wipeout.
    i checked the very first board of 2048 campaign, and its in the 80k range i think

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Actually there is a very simple stat that is visible to everybody and doesn't need you to record a slow time, well at least in HD/FURY, 2048 you still do, I only just noticed it.

At the top right of any record on the leader boards, in any particular category, is the amount of times recorded in that particular stat you are viewing.

So all one has to do is find the page that has the most amount of times recorded on it, and that will be the best case scenario of finding out Omega pack sales via this method.............I'll go through them and edit this post when I find it.

Here's a telling stat, everybody who plays at least one race online will receive a ranking.....there are 17,059 rankings to date.

When looking at the leader boards, it says the times are for what is achieved in Racebox, it says nothing about Campaign, yet they must include Campaign if you have a recorded time and haven't race that p[articular track / race type or speed class, this is for 2048, for HD/FURY it includes both.
    Nope, leader boards for 2048 are only for what is recorded in Racebox, NOT Campaign, so if you do a faster time in Campaign it won't show...........So, since my theory was that most people will be playing 2048 first over HD/FURY, the original figures given of 58,956 ARE the best case, as figures for HD Vineta K Venom single race are at 49,784
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 15th June 2017 at 01:52 PM.

Definitely an interesting thread..

The event boards aren't mutually exclusive in anyway - only the highest number is relevant:
    (Wipeout 2048: Event 1, 76412 records on the board) - this is the absolute minimum the game could have sold. (as each record is unique)

However:
    The assumptions are a bit out though
    (there's loads of factors not represented on the leader boards, people playing offline, people who've bought multiple copies, or people who've rented the game, etc etc)
    (people who've not played 2048 (?!?!) - people who've only played racebox)

There's lots of factors at work....

Edit #2: I'm not privvy to sales figures, this is a personal opinion piece - please don't sack me boss person.
    Last edited by NotEnoughRed; 15th June 2017 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks for your input, NER.

Yeah, I think there’s a few variables we’re missing out on. I’m more optimistic and am thinking the 100.000 copies barrier is or will be reached in no time.

IIRC, previous WipEout games sold at over 200.000-300.000 copies, maybe even more?

At an average of $20 per copy, that’s at least $4 million in revenue, which is more than enough to cover development/advertising costs, which would be next to nothing since it’s not even a new game, and make a profit.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

anyone know how many sales there were for HD/fury and 2048?

Game break-even calculations are a lot more complicated than just (RRP x copies sold)

There's plenty of tax's, platform fee's, cost of goods, etc etc etc...

I think you’ll be hard pressed to find any number, let alone offical figures.

But according to this: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/arc...hp/t-5653.html
    and this: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comment...l_at_the_time/
    ... it’s at least in the 200-300K copies for HD/Fury.

The problem with HD/Fury being that many digital copies were offered as part of the Welcome Back package.

Quote Originally Posted by NotEnoughRed View Post
    Game break-even calculations are a lot more complicated than just (RRP x copies sold)

There's plenty of tax's, platform fee's, cost of goods, etc etc etc...
    Yeah I meant purely gross revenue. Which, if it is indeed several millions dollars, even before tax, is still exceptional for WipEout.

Regarding 2048, nothing much to find, and it’s only speculation, but: https://www.destroyrepeat.com/thread...ad.7979/page-3 says several hundred thousands.
    No idea really.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 15th June 2017 at 03:26 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

You also have players who don't own a PS4 yet, but bought it anyway
    (5 copies of the game here >_>)

Timezone
    GMT -6

Great news! Maybe we will get a brand new game after all. =)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I don't think we can really put Omega sales in the same context as 'most' previous Wipeout releases, as the vast majority of the old games coincided with either a new Playstation console release, which would have boosted sales dramatically or first download only game 'Not so good' [if only that people were wary of not having a physical copy ]

Also the time of year of release, one would have though that had this game been released in Nov/Dec initial sales might of been higher [by the same token, it probably would of had a lot more competition for your $$$ ]

I couldn't help but see the irony in the post I copied and pasted below made by I8YOU back in early Jan 2009 [3 months after HD was released] still rings true about Sony USA marketing of Wipeout.

Thing is - what kind of sales were they hoping for in the States - with ZERO marketing? I'm not talking about minimal marketing - I'm talking about an absolute NULL .

If not for the fact I've got some type of mental AG disorder that I caught in 1995 - I would have been none-the-wiser about this games release.

To the casual AG racer - this games existence likely still eludes.

Making this game physical, I'm sure would increase sales too. Not everyone has a credit card, or desire to find a PSN card. If it were on a Disc, in a store - it would catch the eyes of passers-by, AND, capture the demographic that isn't heavily networked into PSN. (i.e. people who reside in reality)

I'd have no hesitation about going out and purchasing a hard-copy - should one become available. (in spite of already having a digital copy already)

At least we now have a hard copy available to be seen in stores, and in Aus it's TAX return time coming up soon, so sales might be bolstered a bit by that [God it needs it, one online room open when I checked the Aus server last night]
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 15th June 2017 at 08:49 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Regarding online play: I don’t know how big of an impact it makes, but I know quite a few people who do not own, neither plan to purchase a PSN subscription. For a casual few hours a week (or month!) it’s just not worth it. I’ll give it a shot eventually because there are some great deals available right now. But generally speaking it’s too less of an incentive if your time for gaming is limited anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

With Wipeout releases, well, you really have to have your head against the rails as they say, and be listening for the next big thing.

It's not going to be 3D, been there done that, Sony has stopped making 3D capable TV's last year......More the pity, as the PS4's power could have made the Omega pack totally awesome in 3D.....I'm going for it anyway with a high powered external video processor... If you haven't played Wipeout in 3D first person cockpit view, you haven't lived
    I doubt it will be VR either....60 million PS4 consoles sold, 1 million VR headsets sold.... a 60:1 Ratio is not a successful ratio.....the new Xbox super power WTF console had NO VR mentioned in it's launch, so one can only gather Microsoft has deemed VR a None Event, and not worth following.

Where does that leave you, advanced Tech wise?...4K...Really?...Is that it ?
    IMHO leave 4K alone, your just buying into a TV that will burn it's screen out in twice the time as a standard TV, especially if playing 4K games with the added brightness factored in.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 16th June 2017 at 12:23 PM.

The number of VR headsets sold has surpassed a million now. It was more like 1.5 mill last time I checked. That's without any proper marketing, because there hasn't been enough stock to fulfill orders.

It's been a fantastic E3 for VR a third of the games shown by Sony were VR games. Sony have also announced they are going to start pushing VR marketing more as there are more headsets to go around.

The attachment rate of games to headsets is also probably higher than games to just PS4s as I understand it. A couple of weeks before WipEout topped the software charts, Farpoint did. A PSVR only title.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that it's not a successful ratio I think it's still a little premature to make that judgement.

I know that a VR WipEout would throw up some unique challenges and people debate fiery whether or not it could be a comfortable experience. First and foremost I would like any kind of new WipEout at all, but I hope that VR WipEout one day isn't out of the realms of possibility. It's one of the most requested games by the PSVR community.
    Last edited by missmolotov; 16th June 2017 at 02:04 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Please don't construe my last post as negative, I'd love nothing more than VR gaming to be a success.
    As it is being sold ATM, it is not ideal.

The resolution is too low to take seriously [the major problem when you have 4k gaming hitting you from the other side]
    It will take a hugely powerful gaming console to make VR 'User Ready'...Sorry, but the PS4 Pro isn't the one to do it......it's might be considered the harbinger of Playstations to come, but ATM, NO, VR via a PlayStation is not ready for 'Prime Time', more of a 'Proof of Concept' than anything else.

I say this as somebody that has been testing the various different versions of VR gaming available, once you get past the initial, OH WoW! this is Awesome! moment, reality clicks in, and VR soon becomes a 'If only' or a 'When they eventually' sort of Tech.

Wipeout's closest successor , Formula Fusion, had a few early TPP builds that trialed VR.
    I didn't have the equipment to try it at the time, so I can't comment on how it went, all I can say is that it is still being considered........now if that is for the Steam release, for far more powerful PC's than any PS4 Pro, I don't know.
    All I know is R8 is working hard on a PS4 release......I can only hint at PS4 VR compatibility, but to be honest, I wouldn't get your hopes up, as it's Way down the 'To Do' list