Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for Old People with Bad Reflexes

PSN ID
    skythian

Yeah, I got it tonight with a 30.77. Only sideshift I did was the one off the bridge.

L1 R1 mapping is definitely an adjustment, but I remember only hitting the BR onto the bridge maybe 1/10 laps on the original WOHD. With L1 R1 I was doing it almost every lap. Took me 84 laps total to get the trophy this time (which is less than an hour of work) and without the two glasses of scotch I probably could have done it in half that.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by skythian View Post
    Yeah, I got it tonight with a 30.77. Only sideshift I did was the one off the bridge.

L1 R1 mapping is definitely an adjustment, but I remember only hitting the BR onto the bridge maybe 1/10 laps on the original WOHD. With L1 R1 I was doing it almost every lap. Took me 84 laps total to get the trophy this time (which is less than an hour of work) and without the two glasses of scotch I probably could have done it in half that.
    You know, that should be a handicap for us older folk. I don't race with at least a beer or 4. I would love to have a drunken master tournament! Congrats though! I always hated that trophy in HD, and I got it my second freakin' lap this go round. It was the first trophy I got too! Too bad there isn't a lapped out trophy, I definitely did that tonight trying to get top 3 on Moa Therma SL. That damn BSB start is a killer to get, and I finally pull it off, and miss the barrel rolls at the end for a lousy 7th place :/

I think I got sub 30 on HD on Anulpha Pass. Don't know if I want to try that again.

PSN ID
    skythian

Totally down for a drunken master tournament. Actually I think a drink or two helps me on Zone. Takes a little bit of edge off. More than that and things go downhill...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

How do we confirm alcohol progress? Hey here is an idea, wine takes a shot. If they keep winning they keep drinking until they don't until the next pilot gets wasted. Sounds exhausting but fun.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

I don't exactly have poor reflexes but I do have some joint issues with my hands. It make doing side shifts and some BRs a little hard sometimes. Especially left side shifts (my left hand is a bit worse than my right). I'm curious on what controllers or mappings some of you might be using. I've tried a few things that mostly didn't work. Right now I'm using a Strike Pack for my Dual Shock and I have acceleration mapped to the right paddle. It's a bit easier on my finger/thumb for me to hold that paddle down than the x button.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tug_14

i have same probs with my left hand ... quick ss and br are more difficult

Im using classical mapping without sensor only change L2/R2 to L1/R1 for aerobrakes and set them to 40%

PSN ID
    skythian

The only tip I would have for bad joints is to remap left and right to L1 and R1, as mentioned above. Takes a while to get used to but makes a world of difference in the dexterity requirement for barrel rolls.

@mannjon I think we take people at their word. If you win and you know you weren't drinking then you're a douche. Sucks to be you!

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Quote Originally Posted by tug_14 View Post
    i have same probs with my left hand ... quick ss and br are more difficult

Im using classical mapping without sensor only change L2/R2 to L1/R1 for aerobrakes and set them to 40%
    Hey tug_14. I remember you from PS3 but have yet to see you online in Omega. Thanks for the tips. I tried changing the airbrakes to L1/R1 but had a very hard time adjusting to it. What do you mean by
    'without sensor"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skythian View Post
    The only tip I would have for bad joints is to remap left and right to L1 and R1, as mentioned above. Takes a while to get used to but makes a world of difference in the dexterity requirement for barrel rolls.
    skythian,
    Thanks. I saw the earlier posts and tried that left/right to L1/R1 remapping to. I found it a bit hard to get used to and still had roughly the same difficulty doing some BRs. But I only did about 30-40 speed lap tests while trying that method. I might give it another go.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tug_14

Im talking about motion detect setting

i don't activate motion detect...

You have 2 types of settings with ,and my icaras seems to be a feisar when i activate motion detect
    Last edited by tug_14; 11th July 2017 at 01:29 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Quote Originally Posted by tug_14 View Post
    Im talking about motion detect setting

i don't activate motion detect...

You have 2 types of settings with ,and my icaras seems to be a feisar when i activate motion detect
    Oh ok. Got it. Thanks!

Timezone
    GMT -6

I get this distinct impression that the tips for the courses near the start of this thread run the presumption that you play with the D-pad... I'm still seriously struggling to navigate Chenghou Project on Phantom class and i usually play with the left stick as opposed to the D-pad. my problem is with maintaining pitch and properly getting through the sloped turn, even after watching Hellfire's tutorial on it a few times (except I don't use Goteki 45), I still keep scraping along most of that freaking turn. what's the trick about going into that turn...?

i also still have trouble with the hairpin, but that i can figure out... but I don't encounter enough situations that involve pitching down...

if it helps much, i tend to use Van-Uber, Harimau, and occasionally AG systems or FEISAR
    Last edited by Unison_Phoenix; 18th August 2017 at 05:15 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Personally I use the d-pad because I'm old school and that's what's comfortable for me (even after trying the left stick). What I do for the sloped turn after the hairpin is careful use of the airbrakes. Very brief taps here and there. Unless you're using a ship with bad handling like Piranha, you don't need heavy use of the airbrakes. I tend to try to stay a little more just right of center (unless someone is right behind me). Then a few feet before the end of the turn (right before you go through the tunnel I left side shift to get a little more air then do a BR right before going through the tunnel.

Pitching down can be important because sometimes you don't want a lot of air. If you get enough air to do a BR you want to get back to the ground more quickly and pitching down can help. There are also spots where pitching down right before dips in the track then pitching up will give you enough air to do a BR that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. Here's a couple examples.

On Sebenco Climb right after the first turn (hairpin) there's a little hill in the track. When you go over this your ship bounces up a bit. If you don't pitch down while you go over this you'll generally notice that your ship bounces more when it hits the hill and the nose of your ship will point up. This isn't good for keeping a straight line so forcing the nose of the ship down helps and keeps your ship pointed forward instead of up.

On Vineta K just after the second tunnel right before the final straight there's a weapon pad on the left and a speed pad on the right. There's a dip right before the speed pad making pad sit on a very little bump/hill. If you pitch down right before the speed pad then pitch up just before hitting the pad you get just enough air to do a BR. I know you can do this on rapier and phantom, not sure about flash or venom.

Last example, On Ubermall right after the track splits and reconnects you go up a small hill in the track. If you have a turbo here you can use it boost past that whole section. If you haven't done this yet you've probably seen others do it. But let's say when you use the turbo get too much air and/or will hit the wall. If you pitch down you'll avoid the wall and get back to the track faster.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackReign View Post
    Personally I use the d-pad because I'm old school and that's what's comfortable for me (even after trying the left stick). What I do for the sloped turn after the hairpin is careful use of the airbrakes. Very brief taps here and there. Unless you're using a ship with bad handling like Piranha, you don't need heavy use of the airbrakes. I tend to try to stay a little more just right of center (unless someone is right behind me). Then a few feet before the end of the turn (right before you go through the tunnel I left side shift to get a little more air then do a BR right before going through the tunnel.
    what exactly qualifies as "brief taps" of the air brakes on the analog L2/R2 triggers (I'm using the default controls)?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Quote Originally Posted by Unison_Phoenix View Post
    what exactly qualifies as "brief taps" of the air brakes on the analog L2/R2 triggers (I'm using the default controls)?
    Just that. I usually do brief taps or holds on the triggers for airbrakes. And by brief I mean nothing really longer than like a half second or so excluding hairpins and other really tight turns. I say this knowing that I prefer more maneuverable ships like AG or Harimau, etc. Ships that are harder to turn require more braking. Too much airbraking and you might find others passing you during turns.