Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Old People with Bad Reflexes

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

So the zones are definitely harder. But also the zones do not match up either from game. I can consistently hit super zen on all of the hd fury tracks no problem, which is zone 42 I think? But that is about as far as I go on non pure 4 zone tracks and a few tracks I know well and anulpha which was meant to be a zone track anyway.

In 2048 though I was getting to just zone 30 on my first try in the campaign and I can pretty consistently get to zone 45 now having done 2048 a few days now. I just need more practice but there is an elite pass zone race on Altima that worries me: zone 70. I know that was not on the vita version. I'm positive.

That will likely be the last elite pass I get. The combat challenges seem easier though.

I'll check to see if the brake settings make a difference. I kept mine at 100% for both games in the past.

*Update*
    Finally got the Completist award. Not elite though. I'm literally missing all the elite zone stuff. But in the process I unlocked the Piranha Speed, which seems to work better for me on zone. This brings up a question: Are zone ships the same in terms of stats like HD was, or do the stats affect the way it handles? I've had much better luck with the Piranha, and got within 1 zone of elite passing the zone challenge on 2048, and got up to 62 on Sol.

I have not much advice to offer here unfortunately unless my Piranha theory turns out to be true. This sucks for people with waning reflexes (I think I may just need glasses).

@skythian, bad news my friend, Sol's elite pass is 75 zones. I'm going to get it eventually. 55% progress on Transcendence.
    Last edited by mannjon; 15th June 2017 at 04:50 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Danterich

Thank you all for this helpful thread! Every cell of HD and Fury campaign one elite, finally! Back in the days on ps3/vita ive thought its impossible for me. Have platin on both though.
    Im very grateful for being member in this community.
    Best wishez from an old wipeout-pilot.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Yay Danterich is back! We had some close races back in HD/Fury. Glad to see you back!

Are you still rockin' the Mirage?

PSN ID
    skythian

@mannjon, you weren't kidding. The final Tech De Ra detonator was a beast. Took me probably 10 tries but I eventually got it. The key for me (as with all detonator events for those with waning reflexes), is to just focus on staying alive. If you can make it to level 14 you'll probably be at or very close to the required point total, even if you haven't played all that well. The key is staying alive. For Tech De Ra, I ended up using my blast either right at the beginning of the lap or after the long straight part towards the end, since I was routinely taking quite a few mines in those parts.

Not the most frustrating challenge ever, but pretty tough. Now I just have the 8 race tourney, the Modesto reverse race (which is proving surprisingly tough for me), and the Syncopia detonator. Slowly but surely... ECL here I come!

- - - Updated - - -

Am I correct in assuming that the Zone 65 trophy will take care of itself during the process of Elite Passing the 2048 campaign?

- - - Updated - - -

@mannjon, did you get the 75 zone Sol elite pass?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by skythian View Post
    @mannjon, you weren't kidding.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I correct in assuming that the Zone 65 trophy will take care of itself during the process of Elite Passing the 2048 campaign?

- - - Updated - - -

@mannjon, did you get the 75 zone Sol elite pass?
    First, the trophy for reaching zone 65 happens automatically. Oddly enough I managed to get to zone 65 on Rockaway Stadium, so I didn't have to rely on the 65 zone elite pass requirements to get it.

Long time no chat So an update: Last night was an extreme mental torture round of 2048 zones challenges. I managed to get all the elite passes for 2048 and 2049 a few days ago, and all that remained were the zone challenges for 2050. The ones that gave me the most trouble by far were Altima and the Subway. The 50 on Capital Reach was also tough but once you learn that weird extended tunnel section, it isn't too bad.

Sol 2 turned out being the easiest. I was kind of exhausted when I tried it, but it took two tries, and I got to zone 83 I think. Sol is the easiest despite the highest zone requirement. I chose to not use the AG-SYS Agility for that one because I fell off the track with a ship with more handling oddly enough. The easiest route is to hang left at the first fork (the lower path) and not go for the skill cut after you cross the little jump. I also avoided the final skill cut. I had a TON of perfect laps, and I didn't hit a single wall, and eventually subjected to death by falling.

Rockaway is also really hard, but the pass requirement isn't as high. I resorted to AG-SYS Agility for that one for that insane haripin and didn't take any of the skill cuts.

Subway was a nightmare for me. I eventually elite passed it, and I used Agility AG-SYS for that as well, despite wobbling a lot. For that one, at the big fork, hang right, and take the magstrip option. It is far easier, despite the uncomfortable shape of the magstrip path. I found it easier to avoid the skillcuts after that though. This one took about 8 tries total.

Altima was a beast. I started out using the wrong ship. Once again, AG-SYS Agility is the best choice. Initially I tried taking the skill cut option (towards the end of the track) but couldn't get past zone 60. So I tried again going around it. It is a harder curve, but it wound up being much easier in the end. After I switched my route, it took an additional 3 tried to get it. The hardest part was controlling my ship at points where it got airborne. The chicane series towards the end is pretty benign with a little practice.

Those were my last elite passes, so... Done with 2048 Elite Completist! Yay! When I was done with zone, I was around rank 46, and I've been farming experience. Since you will likely have to deal with this later, the most efficient way to get XP is probably the Feisar Prototype challenge. Eventually I got a time of 7.52.14, which was good enough for rank #61. I'm getting about 4000K XP per 8 minute race.

All that remains is the Piranha Prototype Elite Pass, and reaching rank 50 (currently rank 49). Then Plat time. But at least the hard stuff is out of the way.

So for the zones, expect it to take a while. I kept creeping up by one or two zones each attempt. It is also a good idea to just focus only on zone challenges to take advantage of being familiar with higher speeds. But if I can do it, I'm sure you can too! Look me up, we should race sometime.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    aerobie2

Do you people have a preferred ship for the 2048 campaign zone stages? Or do you select different ships, depending on the stage? I'm looking for that ship that has the best balance between shields and handling to help me get those elite passes for zone.
    Last edited by dontmindlosing; 3rd July 2017 at 08:11 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I struggled with this too at first. I didn't realize that there were no specific zone ships (like in HD). But here are some very basics to get you started. There is not a "best ship" per say, but the AG SYS Prototype will take twice the damage from scrapes or impact, but regain twice the energy back for each perfect zone. It also has the extended sideshift distance. That being said, I do NOT recommend using the prototype for zone challenges, especially if you are just looking to elite pass them all (like I was). I've seen some people using that particular ship for world records, but for just passing, it is too tricky to use.

Similarly, the Fighter ships (or any ship in with full shields) will NOT take damage on wall scrapes unlike HD. You won't get a "perfect lap" but it will count as a perfect zone and you can recover energy even if you scrape a few times as long as no damage occurs. It may very well be the case that the shield stat does not effect this and this is part of the mechanic, but I didn't use enough ships to find out. The important part is that scrapes don't hurt you, and won't mess up a perfect zone. Strategically scraping every now and then is useful for difficult turns. Sideshifts are way more meaningful in 2048 too because ships retain their stats. Keep that in mind, because unlike HD, SS will be necessary on certain tracks.

Now on to specifics. For the 2048 year, I used the Qirex Agility ship. I chose a ship with lower handling because I initially kept wobbling out of control on higher speeds. This works well for tracks like Empire Climb and Queens Mall where there most of the track is a wide open space because the stiffer handling seemed to help me to stay on track better.

I used the same ship for all the 2049 challenges too, but I realized my mistake when I started the 2050 year. Don't get me wrong here, the advice above still stands, for wider less technical tracks, stiffer handling is the way to go at first. But half way through 2049, you start to have more difficult tracks. So here is what I specifically used:

Unity Square - Qirex Agility (don't take any skill cuts)
    Metro Park - Qirex Agility (don't take skill cuts)
    Queens Mall - Qirex Agility (don't take skill cuts)
    Capital Reach - AG SYS Agility (for the opening series go: left, right, left for most direct path, don't take other skill cuts)
    Empire Climb - Qirex Agility (don't take skill cuts)
    Rockaway Stadium - AG SYS Agility (don't take skill cuts)
    Downtown - Qirex Agility (don't take skill cuts, after zone 45 or so you'll get airborne on the lefthand turn mid-track)
    Subway - Qirex Agility/AG SYS Agility (take first skill cut only, veering off the left at the fork)
    Sol - Qirex Agility/AG SYS Agility (use first skill cut to veer right, despite a 75 requirement this is one of the easiest tracks)
    Altima - AG SYS Agility (don't take skill cuts, the last one is almost tempting though)

I also suggest not doing any other events until you elite pass all zones. Once you start to experience Mach 1.1+ speeds, you'll be primed to better handle those on different tracks too. I just sat down and did each zone challenge, and it seemed to help. Don't look at anything except the track too. It may be tempting to look at shield or zone level, but I always got further by ignoring everything except the track. Actively remember NOT to barrel roll. There is nothing more annoying that getting to about 5-10 zones shy of pass and barrel rolling away that much needed energy.

Personally for me, if I wasn't at full energy (or at least 80%) by zone 30, I restarted. It didn't happen often, but if you are playing that bad that early you won't recover and since zone takes so much time, it isn't worth it to try to stick it out. However for me, having less than 80% was fairly common by zone 12-15 due to the horrid track color scheme design. B Class is the worst by far, because the track and walls all turn white. I only started getting perfect laps on B class speeds after I really knew the tracks well. This is a design flaw, nothing to do with technical ability. But A Class and A+ Class are easy enough to recover what you lost (if you did). If you don't recover (ie less that 80% by zone 30 or so) time to restart.

I always hated zone. It feelsnlike a chore and I personally don't enjoy it at all, but by doing the 2048 zone elite passes, you'll unlock the zone 65+ trophy (if you haven't already) as well as likely get the Elite Completist (for me zones were the last things to elite pass).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    aerobie2

Thank you a million times over, mannjon. This is the kind of golden wisdom I was looking for. I will go with this and persevere! Bring on the zones!

PSN ID
    skythian

Great info mannjon. I'm about to dive into 2048 because...

I got ECL!!! Tech de Ra detonator was the biggest time consumer. Syncopia detonator wasn't bad (I think struggling with Tech de Ra made me better at detonator), and the 8 race tourney was cake. I got killed in two races and still won the gold on my first try with 43 points.

I also knocked out Hold your Fire at Syncopia. Took me a few tries but not terrible. Currently working on Zico HD and I'll reinforce the tip I've seen elsewhere. Remap your left and right controls in the PS4 accessibility settings to L1 and R1. This makes the barrel roll onto the ramp WAY easier. I'm down to 30.92 after 15 laps so I think another tenth shouldn't be a problem, especially after spending 300+ laps beating Zico the first time.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

The most important things on Beat Zico HD to do are the double turbo rolls on the first long straight. Obviously boost before start too.

The easy method, is to boost before next lap. Learn how to get all three boost pads without braking leading to the straight. Boost on the hump, roll, land on the top of the next little hill, and roll again. Try to aim for the narrow gap. SS at the next boost pad, then SS again (to the right) and try to hit 2 of the boost pads in the clump. Then... that damned roll on to the bridge.

Don't SS. It makes things harder if you are just going for the pass. With enough practice (or luck) you'll get that roll without falling off.

This last part is also crucial: when on the bridge, DON'T ride it out all the way. On the boost pad just before the bridge ends, instead SS off to the left and roll there. Not only is it faster distance wise, but you can hit an extra boost pad after you land back on the track. This is not nearly as hard as the bridge roll, but it will take a few times to master it enough to do this every lap.

I personally don't typically recommend switching to the L1 R1 if you can manage, because SS is a little harder to do with those mappings, and that last SS off the bridge is pretty important (worth an extra 0.25 seconds or so). But hey, if that works, others might find it useful! Personal preference really. My muscle memory is committed to L2 R2 and the d-pad. I can't do it any other way. If you are "driving stick" this is indeed a useful tactic.