View Poll Results: Which airbrake scheme are you using?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • I switched to L1/R1

29 54.72%
  • Using the default L2/R2

24 45.28%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airbrake shoulder scheme

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    keade

I don't use R1/L1 for barrel rolls, I use the d-pad, as I do for steering.
    I won't try it because I don't like analog, but your idea should work !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mickelockd

I usually use L1/R1 for airbrakes but I´m reading here peole are using thos e buttons to do barrell rolls which is a really nice idea besides the fact you need a lot of practice when using new layouts. Sooo I´ll give it a try.

PSN ID
    Kazzy-Mac

It's possible to map barrel rolls to L1/R1 without remapping the steering? o_O

Yes it is, it takes a bit of getting used to but it's definitely got legs, left stick for steering L1 R1 for barrel rolls. Tis the Link method. Called it 😀. Remap left dpad and right dpad to L1 R1.
    Last edited by RizlaBoyBlue; 19th June 2017 at 12:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by RizlaBoyBlue View Post
    Yes it is, it takes a bit of getting used to but it's definitely got legs, left stick for steering L1 R1 for barrel rolls. Tis the Link method. Called it 😀. Remap left dpad and right dpad to L1 R1.
    I gotta lol a little bit at the irony here because it says "new pilot" beneath your name. That part certainly isn't true.

I did have a question about this method though. How does this work with sideshifts? There are certain rolls you SS into. How do those work? Seems like double trigger sideshifts would be awful hard to pull off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

I tried L2/R2 but I can't do sideshifts with triggers.
    So I use L1/R1 with 50% sensibility (if it changes something with L1/R1... don't know actually).
    Square is thrust, Cross to fire and triangle to absorb.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    I tried L2/R2 but I can't do sideshifts with triggers.
    So I use L1/R1 with 50% sensibility (if it changes something with L1/R1... don't know actually).
    Square is thrust, Cross to fire and triangle to absorb.
    Wait, so how do you side shift then? Wouldn't mapping them to r1 l1 override the top trigger barrel rolls?

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    I gotta lol a little bit at the irony here because it says "new pilot" beneath your name. That part certainly isn't true.

I did have a question about this method though. How does this work with sideshifts? There are certain rolls you SS into. How do those work? Seems like double trigger sideshifts would be awful hard to pull off.
    I never really managed with the whole side shift barrel roll, can never seem to get enough air, always used left stick for turning / barrel rolls and L2 R2 airbrakes. Tried the L1 R1 remapping last night and can definitely see a benefit, using the left stick for steering I would have trouble pitching up and barrel rolling, as soon as I started to roll the nose would drop. Been finding rolling using DS4 a lot more inconsistent than with DS3, could be because of the shorter sticks or something. As for double trigger side shifts I have fingers on all the triggers all the time anyway, biggest issue I have with this method at the moment is it missing the roll but taking the energy if you do it to quickly, something Linkinito mentioned in the bugs and glitches thread.

As for the new pilot tag, yeah might have to change that 😀

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    Wait, so how do you side shift then? Wouldn't mapping them to r1 l1 override the top trigger barrel rolls?
    Hi man,

Hum, I don't get it
    With airbrakes on L2/R2 I often fail sideshifting because I have trouble to double tap on analog triggers. It's always been like this.
    With airbrakes on L1/R1, I can double tap easily .

I don't see the pb with BRs, it's still left/right/left. And I use d-pad... I'm not able to BR with analog stick

++

Temet

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Oh my apologies. I thought you were talking about maping left and right to the r1 l1 buttons I just misread that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Well regarding the thread I think a clarification is needed with my L1/R1 steering.

First, I keep my airbrakes on L2 and R2 because I'm confortable with them and I don't have much trouble to sideshift (I might consider switching if I need really advanced sideshifts to do more barrel rolls).

Second, I don't like using the d-pad to steer, for the comfort of the analog sticks and being able to take smooth corners better with the analog - and trust me, adjusting the nose pitch is much better with the barrel roll layout because pressing up (on the d-pad) won't interfere with the barrel roll.

Ok, so now here's the trick.

The PS4 allows you to switch any of your buttons for another on the controller on the Accessibility Settings. I use that method to switch left with L1, and right with R1.
    Then in-game, I switch L1 with Triangle. I don't switch camera.

So my new layout is:
    X - Thrust
    Square - Shoot
    Circle - Absorb
    Triangle - 180°/EMP/Cancel Lap
    Left Stick - Steer and Nose pitch
    Right Stick - Unused
    L2 - Left Airbrake
    R2 - Right Airbrake
    L1 - Steer Left
    R1 - Steer Right
    D-pad Up - Nose pitch down
    D-pad Down - Nose pitch up
    D-pad Left - Camera switch
    D-pad Right - Unused

So now, you're able to steer and pitch your nose with your left thumb, and barrel roll with your indexes. This allows blazing fast barrel rolls.

You can also switch airbrakes and steering to your own preference. So you can switch the airbrakes on L1/R1 and put steering on L2/R2 with the accessibility settings.

There's two downsides to this mapping:
    - You'll need to disable the custom layout in the PS4 settings each time you want to play another game. Also, to navigate left/right in the PS4 menus, you'll need to use L1/R1 until you disable the custom layout.
    - There's a glitch that I call "double cancel". Basically, it happens when you want to do a barrel roll fast enough, and you press the buttons so fast that you'll hear the barrel roll sound playing, but nothing will happen, and you'll lose not 15 energy, but 30. I think this is because the game tries to do both barrel rolls simultaneously. As a result, two barrel rolls are deducted from your energy tank, but the barrel rolls will cancel each other and you won't get any boost. I'm pretty sure this is an overlook by the original developers as you're not supposed to press left and right simultaneously on the d-pad, and in analog it's simply impossible because you can't do left and right on the same stick.

As a matter of fact, some "elite" controllers (Nacon Revolution Pro, Razer Raiju, SCUF, Burn, Emio) offer back paddles on their controllers and you can map them to any button, so you can use them to barrel roll without even bothering with the PS4 accessibility settings.

Of course, if you're a seasoned player and you're used to the old school barrel rolls, keep your habits - but you should give it a try. And new pilots might find this layout interesting.
    Last edited by Linkinito; 20th June 2017 at 08:39 PM.

I read about your technique on page 1 before this explanation a few days ago and was super hyped. Tried it out this morning and i failed miserably.
    Side shifts and regular airbrake usage combined with (upcoming) barrel rolls make my brain tilt.

It sounded so perfect.. but ill stick with the normal settings :/

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

Played digital with the L2/R2 layout since 2097 (which I guess is the equivalent of DS4's L1/R1), skipped Wip3out, picked up again from Fusion and Pure.

I switched to the L2/R2 triggers when I got HD Fury, and even set it to 100% sensitivity. If I want to go from an easy right hand turn, then tighten slightly beyond the normal turning speed, and then fully apply the airbrakes for a hairpin turn, the wider range of airbrake positions really helps. I can have a much more smooth and controllable change. But sometimes even the lightest touch puts so much drag on the ship and slows me down so much that I lose out on a lot of speed.