View Poll Results: Which airbrake scheme are you using?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • I switched to L1/R1

29 54.72%
  • Using the default L2/R2

24 45.28%

Thread: Airbrake shoulder scheme

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc_

Default Airbrake shoulder scheme

Hello, everyone!

I've been wondering, if L2/R2 is the default for airbrakes, how many of you have been switching back to L1/R1?

Also, what about the airbrake sensitivity? Are you finetuning it?

Cheers!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Brake sensitivity 70%, but I might change that, as I'm finding the PS4 controller less responsive than the PS3 one for some reason....neither of my PS4 controllers have been thrashed, so I can only put it down to a design difference.
    On a side note, if you drop your air brake sensitivity really low, it can make it problematic in successfully doing side shifts......... so test for a cut off point if adjusting air brakes.

Traditionally the R1L1 button are digital and the R2L2 analoug, so in theory at least, the R2L2 'Should' give finer control.......I suggest people test and find out for themselves.

I, and a lot of other old school Wipeout players only use the R1L1 buttons because that is what we learned on back in the PSone days, where it was the only option, plus I still use the D-Pad.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 10th June 2017 at 07:01 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    Brake sensitivity 70%, but I might change that, as I'm finding the PS4 controller less responsive than the PS3 one for some reason....neither of my PS4 controllers have been thrashed, so I can only put it down to a design difference.
    On a side note, if you drop your air brake sensitivity really low, it can make it problematic in successfully doing side shifts......... so test for a cut off point if adjusting air brakes.

Traditionally the R1L1 button are digital and the R2L2 analoug, so in theory at least, the R2L2 'Should' give finer control.......I suggest people test and find out for themselves.

I, and a lot of other old school Wipeout players only use the R1L1 buttons because that is what we learned on back in the PSone days, where it was the only option, plus I still use the D-Pad.
    You mean people DON'T use the Dpad? I can't function with the swizzle sticks. I've found the R2/L2 to be less responsive than the PS3 controller, but I would wager that the reason is because I'm not fully used to PS4 controls for WO.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I still keep airbrakes on L2/R2, because I've switched left/right with L1/R1 (in PS4 Accessibility settings). You know, for blazing fast barrel rolls.

PSN ID
    marcingru

Ive switched back to L1/R1 and dpad in year 2097

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    xaerock

I found Zone mode unplayable with L1/R1 as airbrakes so stuck to the default. In the PS1 games and BallisticNG you have a lot of control by pushing airbrakes for short periods of time but here if you push the button all the way down (seems hard to control on ps4 pad) it does almost an immediate 30 degree turn which is a bit much. If there was some way to do slighter turns with L1/R1 I'd switch back, I liked how they worked in the older games.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinito View Post
    I still keep airbrakes on L2/R2, because I've switched left/right with L1/R1 (in PS4 Accessibility settings). You know, for blazing fast barrel rolls.
    Mind blown

nu9get Guest

R2 L2 here, and i use dpad too, sticks 2 hard

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I always use L1/R1, since 2097.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Mickelockd

I usually use L1/R1 for airbrakes but I´m reading here peole are using thos e buttons to do barrell rolls which is a really nice idea besides the fact you need a lot of practice when using new layouts. Sooo I´ll give it a try.

PSN ID
    Kazzy-Mac

It's possible to map barrel rolls to L1/R1 without remapping the steering? o_O

Yes it is, it takes a bit of getting used to but it's definitely got legs, left stick for steering L1 R1 for barrel rolls. Tis the Link method. Called it 😀. Remap left dpad and right dpad to L1 R1.
    Last edited by RizlaBoyBlue; 19th June 2017 at 12:47 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by RizlaBoyBlue View Post
    Yes it is, it takes a bit of getting used to but it's definitely got legs, left stick for steering L1 R1 for barrel rolls. Tis the Link method. Called it 😀. Remap left dpad and right dpad to L1 R1.
    I gotta lol a little bit at the irony here because it says "new pilot" beneath your name. That part certainly isn't true.

I did have a question about this method though. How does this work with sideshifts? There are certain rolls you SS into. How do those work? Seems like double trigger sideshifts would be awful hard to pull off.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

I tried L2/R2 but I can't do sideshifts with triggers.
    So I use L1/R1 with 50% sensibility (if it changes something with L1/R1... don't know actually).
    Square is thrust, Cross to fire and triangle to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    I gotta lol a little bit at the irony here because it says "new pilot" beneath your name. That part certainly isn't true.

I did have a question about this method though. How does this work with sideshifts? There are certain rolls you SS into. How do those work? Seems like double trigger sideshifts would be awful hard to pull off.
    I never really managed with the whole side shift barrel roll, can never seem to get enough air, always used left stick for turning / barrel rolls and L2 R2 airbrakes. Tried the L1 R1 remapping last night and can definitely see a benefit, using the left stick for steering I would have trouble pitching up and barrel rolling, as soon as I started to roll the nose would drop. Been finding rolling using DS4 a lot more inconsistent than with DS3, could be because of the shorter sticks or something. As for double trigger side shifts I have fingers on all the triggers all the time anyway, biggest issue I have with this method at the moment is it missing the roll but taking the energy if you do it to quickly, something Linkinito mentioned in the bugs and glitches thread.

As for the new pilot tag, yeah might have to change that 😀