Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to make a NEW Wipeout ? -Estimate from those who know.

The career mode thing has been discussed before, itís an excellent idea, and you are right in saying that an arcade mode should also remain.

Not sure about the other points, ie. the weapon system youíre suggesting.

Have you noticed how the "exellent reviews" you mention all say that "itís good old WipEout and thatís exactly what we wanted."

People like improvements, but not change. So yeah, additions should be made, but you canít change the whole formula.

PSN ID
    osama-bin-haydn

WikEv has just proved my point. Everyone wants creation and progression. RPG elements in alsmot every game. Though personally I would be gutted if WO ever introduced upgrading ships. The last thing anyone wants is an unfair starting grid.

The only one I whole hertedily agree with is more teams. If there's 12 teams to pick from, every race should have 12 teams in my eyes.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    wipe64

Well, to be honest, I'm also not a big fan of an upgrading system. But in F1 games, you have a R&D section where you can improve your car a little bit. But it is only available in the career mode. Stats remain the same in single race and online modes.

So it would be cool in a career mode to have it. And for example, ships in career could have lower stats than they have in racebox and online, and once you fully upgraded your ship in the career, it has actually the stats it should have...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Quote Originally Posted by OBH View Post
    WikEv has just proved my point. Everyone wants creation and progression. RPG elements in alsmot every game. Though personally I would be gutted if WO ever introduced upgrading ships. The last thing anyone wants is an unfair starting grid.

The only one I whole hertedily agree with is more teams. If there's 12 teams to pick from, every race should have 12 teams in my eyes.
    Maybe not "upgrade" but possible a way to change out specific parts to fully customize ships?

Ok, so as an Icaras pilot, I want more shield energy! But I'm not willing to part with the handling or acceleration. Maybe you could install a "parts list" that limits the Icaras to only green weapons in exchange for 15% more shield energy for example. I'd say that's a fair trade off, because that would encourage green racing, but allow green racing in general online multiplay that isn't just Pure racing (which I love by the way). Minor tweaks, not an overhaul.

Another good example is maybe the Piranha can gain an extra 5%-10% handling in exchange for dropping an autopilot. The idea is to be able to make tweaks to ships by sacrificing weapons or some other aspect to make them slightly better at a cost.

In my opinion, they did a little of this already with Tigron and Van-Uber. Tigron is a beefier Icaras with better handling than a Piranha, but it still has the 100% speed stat bridging the gap between the Icaras and Piranha.

Furthermore, they already do this to some extent via the hidden ship stats. If I recall for example, Icaras HD has a slightly longer burn down time of the boost after a barrel roll than the Fury version. Head to head on the same barrel roll, the HD will stay at full boost speed longer than the Fury version. It also rolls quicker (as do most of the HD ships vs their Fury counterpart because of the reduced weight). I can confirm this because there are certain rolls that I can only do in an HD ship, there just aren't enough examples for it to be relevant though, and the handling tradeoff is more significant to me personally.

To make things fair, all these upgrades would be available for a racebox without having to unlock them, but you'd have to work for it like you did in Fusion for the campaign.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

What you are describing is exactly what is happening with Formula Fusion.

You select a chassis, your then select your engine [which determines your speed class], then Handling [How your air brakes work or Craft Pitching works ], Then AG specs's [How Floaty a craft is, or how quickly it get back down to the track] same for defense [Heavy armored hull etc] also defensive and offensive weapons, and how they operate [HUGE range of CHOICE on how these can work]

You can build craft and save them and name them, they then become available in the same manner as different craft are in Wipeout, both online and offline.

It's still in pretty early stages, well no, that's not really true, it's just things need tweaking, but, in all honesty, it's what Wipeout would have become if SL had still been around to build it.

The beauty of it is, it's back to PURE racing, you don't need to be a expert at doing barrel rolls, which put a lot of people off wipeout [Infoxicated - the forums founder-being the most noted]
    You are still going to need AG skills.....and good ones at that.

I don't know if the Omega Pack has been released in Japan or Asia as yet [When in Online mode- press square button to change server to those locations to see if any SERVER activity] I have seen 1 single player on Asia server, and that was early on, so I don't know if it was a Beta trail ?

Thereís some good ideas here, but...

You have to remember what casual players (the main target for Sony) like to do in games: they want to play straight away, they want a good challenge but not a struggle, maybe some nice backstory rubbed in, and no endless fiddling around.

I think "simplicity" is a keyword to behold in the franchise. Which doesnít mean it should be dulled down by any means.

- - - Updated - - -

Some guy just had a brilliant idea on a French forum: have arenas ŗ la Destruction Derby.

It would be great for Eliminator instead of using the race tracks

PSN ID
    osama-bin-haydn

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    What you are describing is exactly what is happening with Formula Fusion.

You select a chassis, your then select your engine [which determines your speed class], then Handling [How your air brakes work or Craft Pitching works ], Then AG specs's [How Floaty a craft is, or how quickly it get back down to the track] same for defense [Heavy armored hull etc] also defensive and offensive weapons, and how they operate [HUGE range of CHOICE on how these can work]

The beauty of it is, it's back to PURE racing, you don't need to be a expert at doing barrel rolls, which put a lot of people off wipeout [Infoxicated - the forums founder-being the most noted]
    You are still going to need AG skills.....and good ones at that.
    I don't want to get too far into the gameplay and racing mechanics because this isn't a Formula Fusion discussion thread, but personally I really don't like the ship customisation in FF. The first thing my brother did was to select a seperate livery for each team. If you wanted to you could make them all look the same! Personally, I believe that unless you have a blank canvas (ie. you invent a team name and completely design them from the ground up) too much customisation means the team loses it's character. One thing WO oozes is character and style. Feisar, for example, should never, ever be green. If it starts to look like Mirage it loses its individuality.

On the flip side though, that is exactly the kind of thing that people want.

A good alternative would be a ship editor, where you can design your own ship with simple tools: shape, colours, stats.

The other ships in the game would stay unchanged and offer a basic set of contenders if youíre lazy like me (and you like the character and charm of long established teams).

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Who knows what the gaming scene will be like in 3 - 5 years time.
    What is HOT now, could well be Passe then.

Knowing this.....we are also asking people to build new video games for us.....think about that ?

It's NOT YOUR money being invested.....whose is it ?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Well for me blackwiggle, I understand both sides. My reflexes and sight isn't what it once was which is why I prefer the technical aspects of racing on slower speeds but while barrel rolling everywhere. I think it is a great balance of skills. Yet I still play wipeout 3 on a regular basis too.

I understand why some people don't like the barrel roll. I personally am repulsed by zone and eliminator. But I'm also glad it's there for a little variety. I also very much like the pure racing.

I think the point many of us are trying to make us that a new game would have to extend an olive branch to a generation of gamers that are not like us. Gamers that place a k/d ratio over winning or losing as a team. A generation grown up on rpg elements for everything. A generation that would rather have an online trophy than a world record.

Sadly the franchise has to toss all these things in a game to have wide spread appeal. Also, casual gaming seems to have really caught on, so people want easier games too that offer instant gratification instead of working to git gud.