Thread: they killed the sound completely

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    brummpahh

Default they killed the sound completely

Now we know how clever beans are ... omg.
    Take master sounds and replace them with cheap crappy childish ding-dongs.
    It all over is sounded as C64 in the 80s (no offense, the C64 was brillant, Omega-sound isn't).
    *REMOVED*
    Why not simply leave it as it was b4 - what a downer.
    Thought after some years it would be time to return - but my ears won't take that on the long run - sorry.

Is there anybody out there feeling the same ?
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 7th June 2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Use of language like that is NOT welcome on this forum

Timezone
    GMT + 9.5
    PSN ID
    keg11

-_- It's the 2097 announcer. I quite like that change.
    Last edited by Hellfire_WZ; 7th June 2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Offensive quote removed

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

FYI, there's polite ways to make your statement, please read the forum rules.

Only a couple are a turnoff for me, but not to the point it becomes unplayable, some are a nice new spin on things.
    I do prefer the female voice myself, but that's mostly because of personal bias (I have the same thing with music vocals), however she is still there, in menus and for incoming weapons, the distorted male voice only got added for pickups.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    gmrtom7

I actually rather like the sound changes; there's a chunkiness in the new barrel roll sound and some of the weapons (the rockets especially whew) that contributes this great heft to the game I'm, of course).

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

I really like the new sounds

the turbo start then the music starts playing may be my favorite

love the sideshifting sounds too

good job cb on them

PSN ID
    Manhandz69

Quote Originally Posted by Racingfan View Post
    I really like the new sounds

the turbo start then the music starts playing may be my favorite

love the sideshifting sounds too

good job cb on them
    The sound was handled out of the office actually, cant take credit for them being better........ or worse (for some people! )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    aerobie2

I think the sound is entirely awesome. I was totally blissed out playing last night, headphones plugged into my DS4, cranked way up. I didn't want it to end.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

The only sound I'm personally put off with based on Racingfan's videos are the rocket sounds: I don't know the name of it but I absolutely love the sound rockets made on 2048. The same kind of sound Fusion missiles made that really sells them as being powerful weapons. I'd have to reserve judgement until I have both the OC and a PS4 buuuut, for now I'm really liking what I've heard.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Aureales (previously El__Cho)

Quote Originally Posted by gmrtom7 View Post
    I actually rather like the sound changes; there's a chunkiness in the new barrel roll sound and some of the weapons (the rockets especially whew) that contributes this great heft to the game I'm, of course).
    Same. I also loved new sound fxs on Zone Mode.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

I personally like the audio changes. In fact, despite criticism from some, I like to default music list too. It reminds me of a more modern version of the soundtrack for older titles like 2097 or Wip3out. There are a lot of new faces that don't remember the older music, but I think it is a modern take on the older games. Meanwhile. the new sound effects seem updated and I actually like the new rocket noises. It sounds more like a "rocket" should sound.

Think of it like this... the 2048 chapter has different sounds than WOHD. Would you want the sound effects to be different for just that game? I personally like that they have new sounds across the board. It gives the various titles a new more cohesive sound.

Quote Originally Posted by brummpahh View Post
    Now we know how clever beans are ... omg.
    Take master sounds and replace them with cheap crappy childish ding-dongs.
    It all over is sounded as C64 in the 80s (no offense, the C64 was brillant, Omega-sound isn't).
    *REMOVED*
    Why not simply leave it as it was b4 - what a downer.
    Thought after some years it would be time to return - but my ears won't take that on the long run - sorry.

Is there anybody out there feeling the same ?
    Heya,

We're a bit disappointed that you don't like the new sound effects: they weren't handled by us at Clever Beans but actually by one of Sony's world class sound departments... (http://www.develop-online.net/interv...ection/0232822)

Using the original sound effects wasn't an option available for us unfortunately, as the only sound assets we could get / find were the compressed sounds. (which aren't the quality that we'd need nowadays) - so the really tiny vita speaker sounds.. Basically we had to remake all the engine sounds from scratch for the entire vita side of the game...

We then realised there was a huge quality disparity between the PS3 side and the Vita side.. so we upgraded that side too...

If you're not feeling it, [and don't already have] some surround sound systems would improve the experience no end...

Hopefully it'll grow on you, but "leaving it as it was" was never ever going to be good enough.

Chris

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I can sympathise with that entirely - I wanted to sprinkle in classic WipEout sound effects into the WipEoutZone Retrospective video, but the quality was just awful by today's standards and I only used a couple of them in the end.

Which was probably for the best.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

When played on a good surround system that's calibrated [My surround amp comes with a MIC that you put where you seat, it then sends out test signals to each speaker and calibrates them for delay and volume], the new sound effects give a much clearer aural clue as in what is coming from your rear, from which side, and how close it is, you don't need to use the rear view, it's that clear cut where everything thing is spatially.

Thanks for your input Chris, appreciated.

Timezone
    GMT + 3
    PSN ID
    chalovak

I wonder if PlayStation Gold/Platinum Wireless Stereo Headset will get a full WipEout support with a special preset in the corresponding app.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

There’s also an option to adjust the sound output to your audio setup in the audio settings menus. I imagine sound effects to be mixed differently to accommodate the output. That may have an effect on how dull or clear the game sounds. I for one do not own any surround sound setup but rely on an old pair of heavy stereo speakers from the 70s with an dedicated amplifier. That’s why I switched the output to „headphones“ which should be a true stereo output from what I understand. I’ll fiddle with the settings though, to get a clearer picture of what these options actually do.

I have no problem with the sound at all.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JonnydotB

I more and more love these sounds. The starting sequence, the rockets, mines, bombs. Also that clirring when someone is hit by a rocket or missile is great!
    And these board computer voices! I love these of FEISAR and AG-Sys

PSN ID
    Beuzer0

I really enjoy this new sound design. I thought i wouldn't like it but it works very well!
    My only request would have been to have a more dramatic sound when a contender gets eliminated, like in 2097, with a "BANG" so strong that makes you say "oh s*** it gets serious" even if it's behind you.

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

Quote Originally Posted by NotEnoughRed View Post
    Using the original sound effects wasn't an option available for us unfortunately, as the only sound assets we could get / find were the compressed sounds. (which aren't the quality that we'd need nowadays) - so the really tiny vita speaker sounds.. Basically we had to remake all the engine sounds from scratch for the entire vita side of the game...
    Hopefully it'll grow on you, but "leaving it as it was" was never ever going to be good enough.
    I've been playing the original Vita 2048 on an HDTV lately and I don't understand why you've made this decision. The sound effects still sound great on TV's, honestly. 2048's original sound design was a huge achievement back then. I'm not saying the new sounds are bad, but discarding the old assets just feels like a waste. Is there at least a chance to bring them back as a little free DLC, like the 2097/Wip3out UI options?
    Last edited by T-301; 25th December 2017 at 08:26 PM.