Thread: Regarding glitches

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default Regarding glitches

I have been playing Wipeout games for a while now, but I only recently became aware of how the community sees glitches as sick and wrong and, honestly i'm just dumbfounded. I have literally never seen a community that hates glitches so much to the point that they will ban people for sharing them. Why? I just don't understand what the issue is. You people just seem like you're trying so hard to hide facts and information, just because it might force you to play the game a little differently.

PSN ID
    Revolucion070

By differently, you mean incorrect-not how game was designed to play, destroying its mechanics and whole point in acquiring skill in piloting a craft. The fact that because of the community, it's how it is, is actually a praiseworthy thing.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Both HD Fury and 2048 had their online leaderboards wrecked at times by people exploiting glitches. So did the old Fusion leaderboards. If you want to mess about with them on your own, then go for it by all means, but as soon as they can be done online giving you an unfair advantage over everyone else and potentially ruining online competition then this forum will not be a platform for them.

This community has existed for 17 years built on the principle of fair competition, and that's the way it will remain.

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

Exactly what Hellfire said, fair play is the foundation of this community and we don't tolerate any exploits that will disrupt the potential of all pilots to enjoy the game the way it was designed to be played. The biggest example of a glitch being used to ruin the leaderboards is Anulpha Pass forward on Zone Mode, its impossible for pilots (such as myself) to get a remotely high position because its physically impossible to reach 200+ zones without the glitch (which has been patched for years) others used to acquire such scores. There is literally no point in even trying which has frustrated me and hundreds of other people across the world.

You may not know that WipeoutZone was also a means to be speak to Studio Liverpool and its developers for many years before the studio closed. We all wanted to maintain a good friendship with them, so would it really be a good idea to break the core gameplay using glitches and still maintain that friendship? I don't think so.

To clarify we have no qualms with you finding glitches/messing around with them so long it doesn't affect the leaderboards, cannot be used online and you do not distribute its existence on this platform. But any use of them to potentially disrupt the online competition will be frowned upon as it will ruin the game. Trust me, I watched the FAST racing Neo online community die because of some glitches that were discovered and exploited in online races and leaderboards.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Finding them is ok. And some are acceptable even. Take bsb starts for example. They are still in the game. While some people think they are unfair, they are just butt hurt because they can't do them. But anyone who is skilled enough to use them in my opinion gets a free pass. Also the same pilots capable of these moves are getting top times elsewhere too so their credibility is legit.

Meanwhile, when a new or unheard of pilot gets a world record that beats the previous record by 5 seconds I become skeptical of it being a glitch where you skip half a track. That is not acceptable. It allows garbage pilots rank higher than those pilots that spent 300 laps to get the perfect lap. Then the glitch is shared and the true leader gets moved down to position #200 below all the cheat lapers. No offense but seeing this is your first post, you seem to be trying to troll us. That won't fly. You refer to us as "you people" which is very condescending and judgemental especially for a first post.

Also, and clearly you don't understand how folks are on this board, we do the exact opposite of hiding things. In fact we share new methods and barrel rolls as soon as something is found. We don't keep secrets, we share them for the greater good. An example from a few days ago: someone found out that a rock was moved on Tech De Ra and made it known because it meant that old records for venom and flash could be broken.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Quote Originally Posted by Yuschmuhck View Post
    I have been playing Wipeout games for a while now, but I only recently became aware of how the community sees glitches as sick and wrong and, honestly i'm just dumbfounded.
    Honestly, it's really quite simple... Glitches and exploits are things which the average user cannot infer from the given gameplay model.

When the thing the elevates games like Wipeout HD is the sheer quality and depth of its gameplay, unless the game is utterly broken and finding glitches or exploits is actually difficult to avoid (hint: that ain't the case here), providing anyone and everyone the means to break the gameplay is something no fan of said gameplay would like to see.

Also, as others have said, glitches are not in their own right universally hated. One glitch in particular is quite well-loved: accessing Syncopia in non-zone modes. Notice this glitch doesn't change the gameplay.

I'd argue BSB is not that well loved, but the fact it doesn't stray at all too far from the gameplay model and was too widespread before raising flags is probably what warrants its perseverance.

I have literally never seen a community that hates glitches so much to the point that they will ban people for sharing them.
    I don't recall seeing anyone banned from the community for sharing glitches or exploits? Posts deleted, sure; some overzealous comments, maybe.

If I'm missing something, I'd like to know.

Why? I just don't understand what the issue is. You people just seem like you're trying so hard to hide facts and information, just because it might force you to play the game a little differently.
    The issue is that glitches are in a different category of fun than the kind fans of WO want the game to be known for.

Further, the games have leaderboards which are supposed to represent how good someone is at the game. Exploited times being inserted is against the spirit of fair competition, and wreck the purpose of leaderboards for everyone. There is nothing glitchers and exploiters have to gain by posting their broken times to the leaderboards except for misplaced bragging rights. Again, giving everyone with access to the internet the ability to break the leaderboards is a recipe for game-wide community dissatisfaction.

Forcing people to play "a little" (I take it you aren't actually aware of what many glitches are capable of) differently is simply not what the community wants. People, perhaps surprisingly for you, actually want to enjoy what the game has to offer on its own merits.

I hope this answers your concerns satisfactorily.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Lightbuster88

Let me ask you this:

If you were skilled at a game that I am terrible at and if I glitched my way just to beat you or get to the top of the leader boards and was able to get away with it again and again, how would you feel?

Try putting yourself on the other side of the trigger before making an argument like this one.