Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: European WipEout Convention 10 Final Blast!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Yeah, it would be very nice to see you Yeye, to check if you didn't forget your French

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Tickets have been booked: I'll arrive on Thursday, 2017-08-24 at 15:28 via train (Amsterdam Centraal) and will depart on Sunday, 2017-08-27 at 12:35 o'clock (train again). Anyone who'll be there around the same time? Will we all meet at Brinkers?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Question for everyone: I want to do this for the US. Do you guys just meet up in a bar somewhere? Do you rent a conference center? What kind of logistics are proven winners?

I'll never be able to afford to leave work for a week so I'll never make a European event. That and it is expensive. But maybe with some help from you guys here I can start something in the US. Canada can come too!

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    meet up in a bar
    rent a conference center
    • 2007 and 2008: hostel, PSP only.
    • 2009, 2010 and 2012: hostel for PSP, one member's apartment for HD.
    • 2011 and 2016: one member's apartment for PSP and HD.
    • 2013: hostel for PSP, small bar for a PSP meet-up as well.
    Personally I favor the home thing, as in hostels only you can rarily set up monitors and PS3s.

Quote Originally Posted by mannjon View Post
    I can start something in the US
    This is already planned (you even replied to that thread) and already happened numerous times in the past (examples: 2012 and 2010).

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Yes, and unfortunately it seems that we are all spread out across the continental US. Transportation here is a bit more of a problem. There also hasn't been a huge amount of interest like there seems to be in Europe.

The "already planned" event was just Hybrid Divide, JABBERJAW and myself talking about it. That was also over a year ago. The trip to Washington from the southeast would take a plane ticket, or a 2 day car trip. We don't have the luxury of being able to take a train to another country to meet up with fellow pilots. I'm looking to actually get some feedback on logistical planning from people that have done this before. Meeting online to play some races isn't really much of a convention.

2010 and 2012 (well possibly 2012, I can't remember now) were before my time on wipeoutzone, so I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing. Do you guys all live fairly geographically close?

PSN ID
    Thorinx

So far the following nations united:
    • AT = Austria
    • BE = Belgium
    • DE = Germany
    • ES = Spain (not that sure)
    • FR = France
    • GB = Great Britain
    • IT = Italy
    • NL = Netherlands
    • NO = Norway (I think, might be SE = Sweden though)
    • PL = Poland
    • US = US of A
    Yes, those are all close together. A trip to London however should also be done by plane - at least I did. Using ferry and/or train will take half of the day. In the USA it'd be obvious to me to use a plane, and I'd wonder if you'd pay (much) more for those than we for the train - as an example: DE to NL costs roughly 50 € (currently ~56 $) in one of the cheap options for one way. This amount of money would be questionable to me at an age of ~18, but as of today this is definitly worth it.

Just force yourself to do it at least once, so you never have to ask yourself later the "what if" questions.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Quote Originally Posted by AmigoJack View Post
    Tickets have been booked: I'll arrive on Thursday, 2017-08-24 at 15:28 via train (Amsterdam Centraal) and will depart on Sunday, 2017-08-27 at 12:35 o'clock (train again). Anyone who'll be there around the same time? Will we all meet at Brinkers?
    Hey AmigoFriend, I'll arrive at 15:42 and leave at 11:17.
    If you can wait 15 minutes on Thursday so that I can be the first to jump on you ...

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Ah, great. Either I'll wait at (my) platform 7b or you tell me yours (so you can even jump faster).

yeldar2097 is offline WipEout HD Cup - Quarter Finalist Veteran Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    WTF!
    Where have you been?
    Trying to bring my wife over from the USA for the last 4 years.

Mission success. Now it's time to chill ....and catch up with the gaming backlog!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by AmigoJack View Post
    • 2007 and 2008: hostel, PSP only.
    My memory is a little hazy but I remember the second year a guy turned up for the Saturday and he had a PS2 so we played Fusion projected on a bedroom wall.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

That was 2007!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Yeah I remember Fusion on the wall and also 2097 link up on 2 TV's in camp France if I'm not mistaken. NeGcons out.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Ok Guys,
    Serious and not fun talk
    If you're not from Holland, I encourage you to ask for Europe Insurance Card.
    It's free of charge (at least in France) and valid for 1 year.
    If something not fun happens (... some of you remember for sure I talk from experience), you'll be a bit less deeper in the sh*t if you have it.

++

Temet

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Noooo, that is why I should check the forums more often...
    I would have loved to come, and probably could have, had I read this in April instead of a few days ago.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by Temet View Post
    Europe Insurance Card
    Such an EHICard is spread since 2004 in European countries - I have my "default" insurance card definitly more than 10 years already and its backside has the EHIC design.

However, that still doesn't protect you from paying for a transport back to your home country. For those cases a travel health insurance is still a good choice - there are vendors offering them for 6 € per year already and cover also things like cancelling a journey. Even if not the slightest thing happens that money is more than wisely spent.

Quote Originally Posted by guillaume View Post
    I should check the forums more often
    Dude, you're more than 2 years too late! Too bad. How about free beer if you still show up? *luring*

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Hey Mad – any update regarding the whole Media Markt thing?

And just because I lost track: Is there still an empty bed left in the room or should I get my own? Looks like I could indeed join for at least a night (26th/27th).

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Oh no Guillaume. Please do come. If you are not coming, I am going to get you personally

@Sausehuhn: There is a bed free for you, so no problem. About Mediamarkt; I was having contact with the activity bureau and we were almost set and done. Suddenly, I didn't get any replies on my emails and the phonenumber wasn't connected anymore. So I think, this guy at Mediamarkt found another job and didn't pass the agreement onto his collegues. Anyway, long story short. I was so much disappointed.

Now I am working on getting 8 screens in my house and I need some help from AmigoJack to set up the internet enviroment. Now the idea is: we all meet in Amsterdam on Thurday at the Hans Brinker in the afternoon around 17:00 go out to get some drinks, food and entertainment. Friday during the day we are going sightseeing and in the night we are going for a Pure/Pulse tourney at the Hans Brinker.
    Saturdaymorning we are going by train to my house to set up the Wipeout Omega Collection PS4. After lunch we start the WOC tournament. In the evening we will have a BBQ and around 22:00 we are going back to Amsterdam.

Greetz Mad-Ice

- - - Updated - - -

I see some pilots reading this thread. There is still a bed free. You will have a great time entering the EWC. Feel free and be welcome
    Last edited by Mad-Ice; 11th August 2017 at 11:49 AM.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    some help from AmigoJack to set up the internet enviroment
    No problem. As for the hardware we'd need one or two routers or switches, so we can plug 8 cables into them. Which needs us to have 9 to 10 LAN cables in total. Of course, we could also try WiFi, but as you know from PSP that's not the most reliable thing. If network cables are a problem I can bring at least 3 (but we're able to buy them at any better store with PC stuff).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I have a gigabit switch with 8 ports that I could bring, if it's any help...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Same here, I have 8 ports GE switch.
    I can bring PS4 too... but I don't have a small HDMI screen
    I still have an old 1680x1050 with DVI port but not sure I still have the hdmi <-> dvi cable...
    As for the cables, I can get some at work, as long as I bring them back.

Damn, Pulse and Pure... I don't even remember the tracks... it's been so long...

PS : if you still 1 PS1 and CRT screen at home, you know, see some WO2097 for fun... If I still can play this game