Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: European WipEout Convention 10 Final Blast!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

@DjTechno: thanks! Great that Al is restarting the American Wipeout Convention.

@Sausehuhn: yeah, see you tomorrow ! Please bring your PS4.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

if you dont want to pay for ps plus, you can create a new account, activate as a primary on your system and activate your free two day trial then switch back to your main account.
    no CC required
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7RGmvdOdGs

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

On my way!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Temet79

Thumbs up

I'm back home!
    I thought it was 3 years since I didn't see my dear friends in speed, but I actually think it's 4! Such a mistake!
    It was so nice to be back again in the beerWipEout team!
    There were the 3 pillars Mad-Ice, AmigoJack and Asayyeah that I've seen in my past 4 conventions, but I could see again G'kyll and elHabib that I've seen only once in France, like 6 years ago. But still, you see, you hug, it's like it was yesterday (ok, like last week, to be more realistic ).

This year was the occasion for me to meet Sausehuhn and we had such a good fight on WipEout 2048!! That was really fun!!

Special Thanks to Mad-Ice and AmigoJack for always taking care of this event!!!! So much beer, laughs, fun, stories... and sometime a little of gaming (actually we played only Pure and 2048).
    Love you guys! <3

Guys from the forum, make it even more fun the next time, join us!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Thanks for having us, Matthijs! I had a short but pleasant stay. It was great to see a few old faces again and meet new ones, and even though it was a small meet-up, I’m happy I could make it! Staying at Hans Brinker really brought back some ten year old memories from a time that felt so distant. Shame it really only worked out so many years later. And although I realize it’s becoming more of a friends’ gathering (which isn’t a bad thing!) I also realized why I got here at the first place: Playing the games was really so much fun and I’m hooked playing some more WipEout again.

Thanks so much!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Hi to everyone,

The last few years my passion for Wipeout slowly disappeared. We have been racing the tracks of HD/Fury for 10 years, because they were already a remake of Pure and Pulse. The drive to set world records and share, almost daily, about every new possibility to go even further here at the zone, is long gone. This brings me back to the essence Wipeout is about: Friends in speed. During the years we have seen each other in real life, we got to know each other really well. We have so much incommon outside of the game. So every year, it became more and more about friendship and less about playing the game.

The reason why I named this thread: The final blast! I am organizing this convention since 2007, I discovered new hobby's like slotracing. In 2015, I attended the world championship in Igualada, Spain with a Dutch team. This was mostly the reason why the convention in 2015 did not take place. In 2016, I missed my Wipeout friends and together with AmigoJack, we decided, we had to organise it again. Last year I have dicovered a new hobby! Asayyeah introduced me to droneracing. We already were joking about organizing an European Drone Racing Convention. So new hobby's are pulling me away from Wipeout and they are making room for new experiences. So long story short: I thought it was time to say goodbye!

This years' convention was so much fun and you guys gave me true friendship and convinced me, I just can not stop organizing this amazing event! So next year: The not so final blast!! (like eLhabib said )
    I got so much positive energy that I already have some new ideas for next year! I want to rent an appartment somewhere, where we have our own place! We shop together, cook together and where we can talk, drink and play untill the next morning.

What did we do this year: Thursday morning Asayyeah arrived at my place at 11:00 in the morning. He had been driving all the way from France during the night. So he had to sleep for a few hours before we would meet Temet and AmogoJack in Amsterdam. We arrived at 18:00 and we were talking and drinking all night that we even forgot to eat somewhere. This made me DNF for the first night

The next morning I was the first to wake up at 7:00! So I went for breakfast and a shower feeling okay, luckely! After eveyone had woken up, we went into the city to do some shopping and getting lunch. Furthermore we walked, talked and relaxed the afternoon. Around 15:00 we played some Pure in Hans Brinker and G'Kyl arrived around 16:30 and shortly after eLhabib arrived too. After some beers we needed to get some food. We found a nice restaurant and we could sit outside. Asayyeah bought us a nice bottle of wine to celebrate his birthday. After more than two hours of eating and talking we finished the night by the most fighty and exciting Pure tourney ever!! I was leading from the start, winning 3 races, almost sure to win the alfa tour. But no, I was killed on Blue Ridge by three quakes and a rocket! Which gave Asayyeah the win. We continued and Asayyeah was respawning a few times on Karbonis where I was able to lap him twice, this had to go down in the history book of Wipeout
    Our scores were very close and we even took the gold medal both on the gamma tour, if I remember correctly!? Then I got a DNF again because of all my best Wipeout friends turning against me

Asayyeah was about to win the Pure tournament, even with a new world lap record 19:03 on Sebenco Climb with goteki-45, he got two auto-pilots with two turbo's. The only way to stop him from winning was to kill him too. Immediately in the next race I could plasma him into oblivion. Scores were even again.
    The last two races Asayyeah got the upperhand and won the Pure tournament. Congrats to Asayyeah.

Saturday morning we had to get up very early to catch the train to my hometown. After a 50 minute train ride and a 5 minute walk, we arrived at my place. We had 7 screens, 5 PS4's and 2 PS1's. AmigoJack and eLhabib set up the internet enviroment and Temet and G'kyl joined me for some shopping for the BBQ.
    At 15:00 I met Sausehuhn at the train station and the tourney of 2048 could start. This time I had an epic battle with eLhabib, even our qualification time was within a few hundreth of seconds. Every race we were battling. So exciting all the time. We know these tracks fairy well, but if you are playing next to each other, the tension is so big, you mess up your racing lines quite easy!! That's the best racing experience! In the end eLhabib won with 1 point difference in the 2048 tournament. Congrats to eLhabib.

After the 2048 tournament we had a BBQ in the backyard. We had some spare time after and finished around 21:30 so we had to pack our gear again to catch the 22:30 train back to Amsterdam. In the train we had a small onofficial Pulse tourney, unfortunately there was nobody to challenge me. That's why they made it unofficial

To sum up everything: It was a Blast, not a final blast

Who is up for next year?

Love you guys!!
    Greetz Mad-Ice
    Last edited by Mad-Ice; 29th August 2017 at 10:26 AM.

PSN ID
    DIXI200

Thank you for this story, congratulations on the organized event

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Here's what I think: The fact the conventions have become more about meeting all of you instead of playing WipEout is exactly the reason we need to keep them coming!

I've been neither on the Zone nor going to conventions in recent years - and last weekend really was an eye-opener about how much I missed doing so. Won't let that happen again! It was most wonderful seeing Asa, Mad-Ice, eLhabib, AmigoJack and Temet again and finally meeting Sausehuhn after all those years! [Had to look up WOZ nicks as they have by now become less common to me. ] Talking, being silly and competing with them makes for a most wonderful experience each and every time. And as I know from experience, this includes all who couldn't make it this time. Anyone who's never been or could not make it: You've got to be there at some point!

On topic: Competing in the small number of tournaments that we had meant a lot more fun than I expected! I won't go into detail about the unofficial Pulse tourney, which... apparently I had far less skill in that game than I remembered. I believe i didn't come in last just once.

2048 was fun though, because Asa doesn't know the game very well and so ended up fighting me for first place each time we raced each other in division 2. All of our races had either one sack the Gold mere seconds in front of the other. I take no pride in being able to compete with Asa when he simply doesn't know the game well enough to do better - which I know he would otherwise. However it was the first time I ever remember having such a consistent battle with just one pilot, and that's what made it a ton of fun!

Plus, it wasn't the only competition we got ourselves into, as he had set up two NTSC PlayStation consoles running WipEout XL, my favorite to this day. Now, I played the shot out of 2097, but as far as I remember I had never touched XL, which indeed plays significantly different than the PAL game. So... we got both our asses into a Qirex each and fired them up in time trials at Talon's Reach. So, while I was getting in tune with the slightly different physics, Asa would be kind enough to not take any shortcuts. (He's usually taking shortcuts in a Piranha, mind you, which in some ways is a different game entirely.) End of story: We ended up setting new Qirex XL records - me logging one tenth of a second before his best race time, and him setting a new lap record one tenth of a second before me. That's WipEout, folks!

Anyways, long story short: Huge thank you to everyone included in setting things up, bringing equipment and whatever else was needed!! It WAS a blast. And it WON'T be the last. Mad-Ice: I'm up! :-)
    Last edited by G'Kyl; 29th August 2017 at 05:35 PM.

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Thumbs up

I'm back home again finally.

• Yes, the group is getting smaller and smaller - this time we were 6.25 people (4 in one night, 6 in the next night, and 7 in the last night).
    • Yes, being prepared for playing becomes less and less mandatory - i.e. I was entirely new to 2048 but highly enjoyed playing it against two other contenders - even shot one off the track.
    • Yes, we all move on with our life - drone racing already looked promising ~2 years ago in a dark environment with colored lights for the paths, so I might even put my hands on a drone myself.
    • Yes, wipEout is getting old (1995 and counting), but with every convention we're free to play whatever we want - by chance eLhabib let me play Sonic Mania, which I fell in love with instantly and could have played it the whole night - one more reason to me to buy a PS4.

Now Mad-Ice is (along with me) the one having joined every convention - I always enjoy meeting him again, even if that means his positive energy sends him to bed early. Temet again brought me chocolate, which tastes as great as the same package 4 years ago - I'm still glad to see him fully recovered. Asayyeah was a big surprise I was totally unprepared for - after such a long time I haven't expected him to ever join again, but now I know why he couldn't. Glad he could still enjoy celebrating his birthday with us, including the sinister me. Great to see both eLhabib and G'Kyl again, which disappeared for even longer. Again this convention was shadowed by bad luck to one of us, but I hope everything turned out okay to even good for G'Kyl. And finally Sausehuhn was the one being "lost" for the longest time and seeing him again brought back memories of the first convention.

I expected a worse experience at Hans Brinker, but then it turned out quite okay for its standards (beds, hygiene, beer, breakfast, atmosphere) - I'm just getting a bit too old for this and had trouble with sleeping, plus catching a cold. Brings back memories to LAN parties decades ago where all this was no problem. Next time I'll put on more clothes, and thanks to eLhabib I'm less afraid of Indian restaurants - the Yeti tasted good and so did the drink. The barbecue just felt like 5 years ago - that's one big advantage of being at Mad-Ice's home!

Was a great convention. Would join again. As usual.

Oh, one last thing: can everybody give me a halfway reliable contact? I know, having a mobile would make things easier. I just mean: sending private messages to members here aboard gives only mixed results. And if there is remotely a meeting again, we should be able to know it. That's why a contact that won't change in the near future would be great - anything works: e-mail address, ICQ, IRC, Jabber, phone number, post address... Mobile-only networks like WhatsApp are a challenge to me, tho.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

So, I just came home from an extended vacation (Amsterdam was only the beginning ) and now I'm trying to get myself sorted for working life again *sadface.
    The Convention was absolutely wonderful for me, so good to see you all again. There are just some people in this world which you can meet for the first time after many years and it feels like you just met them a week ago. That instant connection and friendship is very special and I thank you all for it. Special thanks to Mad-Ice for making this all happen again and for being such a wonderful host!
    The tournaments were fun (even Pulse where I DNFed like 12 times I think) and the battle between Mad and me on 2048 was epic to say the least - also proving that the best man doesn't always win
    But even more than playing wipEout I enjoyed spending time with you guys, chatting, drinking, eating and wandering around. Too bad you couldn't join Ben and me on our little boat trip on Sunday, that was beatiful and relaxing as well. I definitely have to visit Amsterdam more often as well...
    Anyway, as I said before, this will definitely not have been the last convention, even if the next one is just meeting somewhere to drink and chat, I would be totally fine with that!
    Love to you all and see you soon on the tracks or IRL!
    cheers,
    eL

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Just take your car and drive. Only 3,5 hours mate. You know you are going to have fun again
    I did actually think of stopping by on saturday, but family stuff got in the way, glad to hear you're not giving up on it though, last year was great and would definitely enjoy attending another, good to hear you all had a great time!! Kinda bummed i didn't make it now, maybe next year?!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Damn I noticed this thread too late. I did read all your summaries and it sounded like lots of fun. I was already interested in such an event when I first got into this forum and noticed how you all are like family with each other. Having fun, being respectful, joking around... WZ is really a great place to chill
    I already met zero3growlithe multiple times and a great friendship resulted.
    So I am in for sure for the 2018's WipEout convention! I am making extra sure to save some holidays for it

PSN ID
    Thorinx

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    I am making extra sure to save some holidays for it
    I promise it's worth the investment - it has also always been a joy to see how the others perform, which is really different to just seeing a video capture of their screen. Looking forward to 2018 to see old and new faces!