Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guys, get your hopes up, Nick Burcombe talks about crowdfunding interest for a new WipEout game!

Default Guys, get your hopes up, Nick Burcombe talks about crowdfunding interest for a new WipEout game!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wipeo...er-one/0166587

The co-creator of Wipeout Nick Burcombe has said he would make another entry in the sci-fi racing franchise, if Sony would let him.

Wipeout, developed by Psygnosis, was released in 1995 as a launch title for the PlayStation. The most recent game in the series was released in January 2012.

When asked by MCV whether he would be interested in making a spiritual successor, he said he could do it – but he’d want the Wipeout brand.

“If [my latest project] Table Top Racing is successful, I know I can put a team together for it as I get asked every week if we’re making a new Wipeout,” Burcombe said.

“But I’d have to make that PR story work on a Kickstarter level. You’d have to find out if there’s an audience for it first. I’d be looking at a proper undertaking on this and make it so that players can create their own tracks and really reinvent the whole thing.

“If there’s demand there, we’d love to meet it. But as it stands right now, without the Wipeout brand on it – which I doubt Sony is about to relinquish anytime soon – it’s kind of out of the question without Sony’s blessing.”
    DISCUSS

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so, as Nick said, it's highly unlikely Sony would relinquish its WipEout IP or "lease" it to anyone.

But that's not the point here. What needs to be done is to spark people's interest. If VR takes off, you can bet Sony will bring WO back.

I hope Nick acts on it and makes some noise around our beloved franchise. By the way Nick, feel free to pitch in here

As for my opinion on the matter, I'll just say this: FINALLY someone who understands that there is no spiritual successor to WO. You need WipEout to make a WipEout game. Anything else is a waste of time and ressources, not because it's bad, but because no one will buy it.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 10th May 2016 at 11:21 AM.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Quote Originally Posted by AdHoc View Post
    As for my opinion on the matter, I'll just say this: FINALLY someone who understands that there is no spiritual successor to WO. You need WipEout to make a WipEout game. Anything else is a waste of time and ressources, not because it's bad, but because no one will buy it.
    Good that Ballistic NG is free, then, huh? And a waste of time? I think not! It's efforts like BNG, SSGX, and FF that could get a new WipEout going in the first place! (Sooner or later, I'll buy you SSGX and BNG devs a beer. That's a promise!)

THAT SAID:
    If a Kickstarter comes up for a new WipEout game, I sure as HELL won't miss it like I did for the Formula Fusion Kickstarter campaign! That'd be a day one donation, easy.

The biggest thing we, as fans, would need to do, besides our own donations, would be to make sure the gaming press got word of this, and actually said something about it.

In any case, I'm in!

You would have to hope independent games like the ones you cite or even bigger productions like Fast Racing Neo must make a difference. Alas, we just don't know that for sure. And it certainly doesn't do so on the greater picture. They're not a means to an end.

This is why having high-profile people like Nick Burcombe making waves is possibly our best chance at triggering a reaction with those high placed at Sony. Actually, who knows, people working on SSGX or BNG could join Burcombe's party one day and develop the next WipEout with an added fan's perspective.
    Last edited by AdHoc; 11th May 2016 at 02:13 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I think the biggest problem apart from Sony not looking like making any new wipeout for the foreseeable future, or selling or leasing the IP out for a new game, is unless some new AG racer comes along and blows everybody away with just how amazing it is, all the Wipeout similar games that are coming out now are likely to be a niche product, catering for those that already know about the pleasures of AG racing, and not have anything near the impact like a new Wipeout would have.

You need the big name of Wipeout, and the advertising budget that can be afforded to go with it to really get the genre back in the public's eye and gamer's minds, like it was back from 1995 to 1999 [original WO, 2097 & WO3 ]

I think that was part of the reason WOHD didn't really take off as much as it should, as it was only a download originally, and the disc version didn't come out till around 18 months afterwards, and then only in certain regions, and in a small print run.

Whenever a new Wipeout does appear [I have no doubt that one will eventually] it will need to be for a full console like the PS4, it should be released on multiple platforms to be honest, but I can't see Sony doing that, and it needs to be released on a disc, if only so people see it in the shops [preferably have the game install onto the consoles HD for faster access - HD disc version suffered problems because it had to be read off the disc ]

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

@blackwiggle

I agree with everything you've said here.

Being a fan here in the 'States, WipEout's marketing always confused me. They never really marketed it here, even in its heyday, the marketing here wasn't anywhere near as strong here. So fewer people heard about it. And fewer copies were sold. So when the next game comes out, they give advertising it even less consideration. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

I'd really like to see WipEout FuturE (hey, I've gotta call it something) marketed well on a global scale.
    -----
    A few other thoughts on WipEout FuturE:

I think Sony always saw WipEout as a showcase for its latest technology. But that hasn't always been a good thing.
    Sure, we got things like the first DLC for a PSP game in PurE, MP3 music, custom ship skins in PulsE and amazing graphics in HD/Fury.
    But it also meant we got things like touchscreen and motion controls in 2048 at the expense of things like Racebox.
    WipEout FuturE will need to focus on GOOD TECHNOLOGY (pun intended!), and eschew gimicky things that will only get in the way player enjoyment. (Incidentally, I have yet to win a race using motion controls. Even Moa Therma on Venom!)

Games like Super Mario Maker, Trackmania, and our own BNG are showing the power in community-driven content, and this is something WipEout FuturE needs to embrace. I think Nick Burcombe understands this, and I could happily put faith in his leadership on this project.

And I agree with the argument that WipEout FuturE needs to be multi-platform. An argument could be made that Sony would try to use WipEout to sell consoles and PSVR gear. But, just as online game networks are starting to open up, Sony should realize that by selling WipEout FuturE on more systems, it just opens up more avenues for sales! And given how similar the PS4 and XBONE are architecturally, porting it to other consoles shouldn't be a massive task. Porting it to PC should be pretty straight forward as well. Hell, Sony could use WipEout to tout cross-platform play!

Ok, ok. I'm rambling. I'll leave it at this and let you all chime in about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    ....is unless some new AG racer comes along and blows everybody away with just how amazing it is, all the Wipeout similar games that are coming out now are likely to be a niche product, catering for those that already know about the pleasures of AG racing, and not have anything near the impact like a new Wipeout would have.
    I do agree with this, I think it's always going to be an unbreakable barrier in making AG racers. No matter what you do, your game will always either look/play like Wipeout or F-zero, and there's even a bigger problem, Wipeout and F-zero were inspired by even older AG/flying racing games (powerdrome for example). In terms of design choices you will have to be either amazingly original or do something so crazy outlandish it'll actually work (kinda like what Formula Fusion did at first with their F-1 shaped ships). We're almost always bounded by our muses and the work done before us.

Re: multiplatforming, the problem is that it costs a LOT of money. After having shut down SL and declared the racing genre not as profitable anymore, I don't see it happening.

The new WipEout needs to be a flagship for something. WHD was for HD graphics on PS3, could it be for something else on PS4?

Ahh, it's tough... I'd really love to have Nick's input on this thread.

PSN ID
    xzynetic

If for any platform, a new WipEout should be on the PC rather than the PS4.

Consoles are somewhat of a dying trend now, with the majority of gaming shifting towards PC for the more "hardcore" games/genres and mobile for the more "casual" games/genres (for lack of better terms). If they're looking for a financial success, I'd honestly release the game on PC through Steam, which would also help it gain some attention. (i.e. "What's this WipEout game? Looks pretty cool, might try it.")

I haven't even bought an eighth generation console (Wii U, PS4 or Xbox One) because I simply cannot justify the expense anymore when I have a more than capable PC that can play a vast variety of games. While WipEout is most certainly my favourite racing game, I am not buying a PS4 just to play a new entry to the series.

EDIT: Of course, that being said, if a new WipEout entry is to be made, it will most certainly be released on the PS4 or Vita primarily.
    Last edited by Zynetic; 12th May 2016 at 04:57 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The biggest problem Wipeout has ever had, is that it that was bought by SONY.

You have to ask yourself, when reviewing the history of Wipeout, was it a good or bad thing that Sony called the shots?

There are basically two positions one can take.

If Wipeout was kept a standalone Psygnosis product, would it have been developed as much as it further was without the money Sony injected back then ...you have to remember the original wipeout was a PSone/PC only product.

As is well known Sony used the Wipeout IP as a launch title for any new products that it was flogging, rather than trying to support the AG racing genre , or supporting the AG racing fans.... WO Fusion was the last true console version...this was the beginning of the end to be honest, as Wipeout became a handhold console only product for many years, which left it's previous core household console/ PC fans out in the cold.

Result is/was....Wipeout is now only known by a certain age group, and basically only on a Sony product

To make the most of the WIPEOUT name, it NEEDS it's to either be sold back to it's originator [Nick] or have any new reincarnation by Sony, headed by NICK, and his chosen crew.

This sort of discussion has been going on for years at this forum...... if you have the time, and inclination, and as a forum member, and depending on your searching prowess , you can find the answers to why things happened, when and by who.

If you are a forum member, you have access to the "Community" button at the header page, this will allow you to search out each and every forum member, and all their history of posts [Unless they have been banned - then ask me or a MOD for specifics ]

Look in your old PSone/ PS2/PSP Wipeout game covers for names of those that made the games....you will find a lot of them here, use the community name search to find posts by those people

PSN ID
    xxOBHxx

Despite its unlikely return there is still a niche in the market as nothing has ever replaced Wipeout (at least on console). Distance on the PC is the one I have most hope for, but its still in early access.

If they wanted to do it enough it could be done.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I mistakenly said the names of the Psygnosis/ Studio Liverpool Wipeout production crew were on the covers, what I meant was the game booklets.

If you don't have the booklets, you can still view the names in the credit section of each of the games.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

Hey Blackwiggle, any more updates?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Now I must protest that Consoles are a dying breed. Xbox 1? Yes. They were DOA. That's what you get for coming to E3 and boasting a new system then initially planned to tie games to an IP address making trade ins impossible. They obviously changed their stance, but too late. That's what you get Microsoft. You deserve the crappy Xbox 1 sales you got.

Now with the PS4... different story.

There is more life in consoles than ever. If they decided to release a new WO game on the PC, it would fail. Why? WO isn't one of those games that PC people would want. The modern trend for PC gamers (and this isn't everyone) is to mod the $h!+ out of it. Case in point? Look at Overwatch as an example. They (Microsoft and Sony) are considering cross-console play for the game. BUT PC won't be invited. Again... WHY? Because PC players would mod it. Not everyone of course (some of us don't cheat) but PC gamers have a bad rep for modding.

Will Sony ever release a WO game for Xbox? Likely not... BUT.......... imagine the renewal of the genre if a new WO could be crossplay compatible with Vita, PS4 AND Xbox 1. Now will this happen? No. I sincerely doubt it. Not many titles that started as an exclusive make the jump to other systems. But I think it could save the genre, especially on a console release.

If they did have a new WO game that did somehow make it to market, I do believe the better choice would be to keep Microsoft out of the loop and have a PC release. That being said, I don't think there is a strong enough market on the PC to make it a success. Sadly though, we won't see a future release with just a niche market. So it becomes a catch 22.

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

I agree Mannjon, wipEout should be PS4 exclusive only. NO Xbone.

Timezone
    GMT -3

This exclusivity bullsh** harms consumers.

The only thing I know is that consoles are pcs, with a "beautiful case" and a OS. The architeture is preety much the same of computers(Correct me if I'm wrong), games now needs to be installed in a hard drive...so what's the point? It's a PC that does less stuff than a normal PC does, except it is less powerful, and just optmized for gaming.

Once again, I'm going to say this: I'm going for the cheapest option avaible for me, and where I live, it turns to PC. I'm probably being hyperbole(and unrealistic), but the next generation of "consoles" will be OS's to be installed in a PC.

Back on topic: If a new WipEout is to be developed(which is higly unlikely) it's going to be Sony exclusive UNFORTUNATELY. Those companies are really greedy when it comes to IPs. I would really want that they developed the game for all platforms, PC included, because, in my point of view, although there are costs to port the game and etc, the range of buyers would be higher, making the game sell better. and throw in that Cross-Play of course.
    @mannjon So why the heck Rocket League has cross play with PS4 and PC!? Explain me that. There's no Xbox One involved.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I'd love to see WipEout Future come to PCs, too. Put it on something like Steam, and Sony would be able to target people who don't own PS4s. Thus, making more money.

I mean, a new WipEout title is all *I'D* need to justify buying a new Sony console, I know the masses don't think like that. And considering that it wouldn't be a launch title, it's not like they'd be using it to try to sell systems in the same way that they usually do with WipEout launch titles. However, had they already been working on one, they COULD use it this way for PSVR.

But PS4/Neo/VR or not, I just want a new official WipEout game, really.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I agree with Rafeku's statement
    There's no need for the pc/console master race debate, it's simply a personal preference, nothing more, yeah sure, there's exclusives and what not, but you have those on both sides, PC & Consoles, on the console side, they are mostly a marketing stunt to lure customers to their console, a PC exclusive is usually a developer's decision (flexibility, cost, performance, stubbornness,...), however, these same criteria can also apply to consoles if a dev is platform oriented (although less likely), most exclusives come from developers who have been bought by the console developer (Psygnosis bought by Sony for example, Naughty Dog (The Last Of Us), ...)

I game on both, i like both for my own reasons, both Pcs & consoles have their pros and cons, there's no better one, there's only the best one for you

I agree with Rafeku's last paragraph as well that selling on all platforms gives more exposure for the game and the developers, in fact, the PC is probably easier to get exposure on, as it's a bigger audience, whereas console's audience is smaller and scattered over different platforms (not saying that this audience is irrelevant though ), this is why you see a lot of indie developers on PC (and also because it's easier to develop for PC (consoles come with NDAs, pricy dev consoles (except for microsoft), non-standard APIs, approvals, ...), however, once these indies break out on PC, they usually end up on console as well (Enter The Gungeon & Rocket League to name a few), the opposite can also occur, but it is less likely, since if a game is on console but not PC, it's probably an exclusive and will probably remain as such, either because of decisions from up top, or developer platform orientation

In short, developing for all platforms is better, but it comes with price-tags.

As for cross platform between PC & Console, for a long time it was debated that either one had advantages over the other when it came to online competitive play (hacks on pc definitely play a big role there), but this conservative thought seems to have been evolving over recent years, in a good way (Maybe partially caused by better anti-cheat algorithms, but probably other stuff as well)

@Manny your definition of modding is flawed, what you're talking about is hacks & cheating, most often mods are made to increase the lifetime of a game, to improve upon certain aspects of a game, to expand the story, to increase the amount of content, ...
    Mods are the same as what instagram filters are to photography, nothing bad about them, just a personal choice on whether you like them or not

Hacks and cheats i agree with, are a complete no-no and do indeed appear more on PC, but i think security of game exploits like that will only keep improving as the game industry evolves ;-)

Cipher

Timezone
    GMT -3

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid Divide View Post
    I'd love to see WipEout Future come to PCs, too. Put it on something like Steam, and Sony would be able to target people who don't own PS4s. Thus, making more money.

I mean, a new WipEout title is all *I'D* need to justify buying a new Sony console, I know the masses don't think like that. And considering that it wouldn't be a launch title, it's not like they'd be using it to try to sell systems in the same way that they usually do with WipEout launch titles. However, had they already been working on one, they COULD use it this way for PSVR.

But PS4/Neo/VR or not, I just want a new official WipEout game, really.
    Actually Sony has a game on PC on Steam, which is Planetside 2. Poorly optmized but it's there. So what's the excuse? I mean, even sega did that on their console days(with few games)

PSN ID
    ACE-2097

someone should translate this thread to Japanese and hit Sony an email.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The reason consoles will still sell, even though the difference between a console and a PC has become for all intended purposes, very little, is that with a console, everybody is standardized with the same powered rig, performance is neither better or worse than anybody else's.
    You also have to factor in the WAF [Wife acceptance factor ] where a gaming console would be tolerated in the lounge room, but a PC wouldn't..... plus the fact that a console is a set and forget piece of gear, where with a PC that isn't always the case.

I think Sony might be shooting themselves in the foot [yet again] with the release of a PS4.5 that is only slightly more powerful, so it can do VR better than the standard PS4 and play back 4K video.
    Firstly, apart for a few early adopters, I can't see VR taking off en mass, well not console versions of VR, it's too expensive to gear up for once you add controllers and camera to the already expensive headset, there are few games for it, and the ones being made in all honesty aren't that engaging , and besides the novelty wears off rather quickly when you find yourself suffer from a aching neck the next day [I've got a Sony VR demonstration in a store below where I work, and a Microsoft mega store directly across the road demonstrating it's VR, so I have been giving both a good work out]
    It might take off with PC based gaming rigs, as they are far more powerful, or can at least be upgraded to be up to recommended spec's to run a Oculus Rift.

The main problem though with UHD 4k playback is that the manufacturers are relying on HDMI to carry the signal, the problem is that the vast majority of HDMI cables people own, or are able to purchase don't have the bandwidth to do it, you can either get partial picture with sparkle artifacts, or no picture at all, it takes a specialized HDMI cable that costs more than a PS4 to do the job reliably.
    http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...i0RK5CaXcs1.97

It's a return of sorts to the sort of problems HDMI had early on, with connected components not being able to talk to each other.
    I shudder to think of the tech questions and complaints at the Playstation forum of new PS4.5's not being able to playback 4K Bluray's properly, it will be like a return to 2007 when people couldn't get their Sony PS3's talking to Panasonic or Samsung TV's.

What's really needed is a change to a cable type that is cheap and will work with 4K [Ethernet CAT5 cable fits the bill] problem is it would need different terminations on all equipment, and I'm guessing Sony would rather sell the 4k TV's and PS4.5's to the unsuspecting public now so they are buying into it, take the flack for it not working as it should due to this issue, and then later down the line say, well it needs a new cable type to do it properly, we will do that with the PS5 and next generation 4k TV's.
    It's how they have been doing business over the last decade and a half, I don't expect them to change now.

I'd love to see a new Wipeout in 4k, or/and VR, but since Sony own the IP, and both VR and 4K have issues with their implementation, I'm sort of glad that there isn't one being worked on ATM, as it would I suspect, be a substandard Wipeout due to technical issues.