Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Omega Collection announced for PS4! - Release date 7th June 2017

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Martin Turton is at Clever Beans and he was a hugely talented guy that worked on 'Pure.

He left for a dream job in the 'states before it was completed (a decision he agonised over), but he was of such importance to the project I believe he still got paid his completion bonus despite leaving.

With guys like that involved it'll be a job done well.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Glad to see the vote of confidence, Foxy!

Still a bit bummed about the lack of PSVR support. Could have been glorious. Alas, I can dream, right?

PSN ID
    PHO-KU

I'm very much looking forward to this, will look fab in 4K HDR. Shame not a new WO per se, but it's a start and if it receives the appropriate support more will hopefully follow.

I do wish for a 2097/3(SE) update / add-on pack for future download and would love VR integration one day but fear it may need to be toned down quite a bit to not induce a Scanners scenario.

PSN ID
    xdirex

Please excuse me cutting and pasting my comments from another forum...

Mixed feelings about this. Of course I'm happy to be getting a version of 2048 that does the game justice, and I'm glad to hear they're tweaking the visuals further.

I've commented on my love for 2097 and 3 (more satisfying handling model, graphic style, soundtracks) already and I accept that these games will forever be live on via emulation.

However, just looking at the content available from the 'modern' Wipeout games (Pure, Pulse and their DLC that HD was based on), and the fact they’re calling this a 'remaster', there is so much more that can be done here.

- Some more updated tracks, please! Pure and Pulse have a vast library to choose from, all designed for the modern engine and ready to go. Make them DLC if you absolutely have to. Sebenco Peak, Blue Ridge, Statten Park, Sinucit and Citta Nuova from Pure. Arc Prime, De Konstruct, Basilico, Platinum Rush, Vertica, Outpost 7, Edgewinter, Vostok Reef, Gemini Dam, and Orcus from Pulse. I'll bet hardly anyone has even seen those last four before (they were kinda expensive DLC) and they're great. The tracks designs need no work, it's be as simple as updating the textures and poly count, which they're already doing elsewhere. Some of the 'organic’ tracks (trees, etc) could look amazing in the new graphic style.

- Zone mode graphics. These were cut back last minute on PS3 due to epilepsy concerns. Seriously. Get them in there, put a health warning on it if necessary. I really want to see this mode as it was intended to be, or how far it can be taken. Other games have come since that take the visuals further do it shouldn't be a problem any more.

- Surely some kind of VR or 3D support (its already in the PS3 game) without the FPS drop could make it in there?

I really feel like the Omega Collection could become the framework for the ultimate Wipeout mega mix. The content is there, HD started the concept albeit in a very 'lite' way and provides a very solid foundation to build upon. If it has to be DLC then I can live with that but there's too much of Studio Liverpool's excellent content to go to waste.

Add it stands, while I'm glad 2048 is in there, it's hard to get excited about the yet another rehash of HD's limited track set.

So, to support this in the hopes it may lead to a true 'next-gen’ Wipeout? I guess I'll have to, reluctantly. Sony, I know it was never the biggest earner (despite being remembered fondly by so many) but there will ALWAYS be a market for new Wipeout.

And...

While ANY new Wipeout is always an amazing thing, and I'm happy that 2048 will (hopefully) get the version it deserves (it was hard work on the Vita's small screen and the framerate wasn'tt adequate), I'm a little disappointed that we're getting yet another version of the Pure/Pulse/HD set of tracks.

When I saw 'collection' in the title I was hoping to see a mention of 3 or 2097. Like a lot of people, I'd love to see a return to those artistic styles, handling models and a focus on racing. Everyone has their favourite and 3 will always be mine (minimalist graphic style, refined handling, track selection, Sasha soundtrack).

Still disappointed about the demise of SL/Psygnosis.

Perhaps we could at least get a few more tracks updated for this version? Even just looking at Pure, Pulse and their DLCs (surely an easy conversion as these are what HD was based on), there are plenty more decent tracks that could be included. Pure was probably the most coherent of the 'new gen' Wipeouts imo.

And how about reinstating the true Zone mode graphics, which were cut from HD at the last minute after being deemed a health risk and too epilepsy inducing? I want to finally see the visuals as they were intended!

As nice as HD still looks today you could go to town with today's modern lighting and shader effects.

Full disclosure: Wipeout was the reason I bought a PSX, PSP, PS3 and Vita.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Lightbuster88

About damn time. My PS4 was collecting dust. Now it has purpose once more. Now the only question remains: Will the custom soundtrack return?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Amplificated

Very surprised by this.

Couple of things though:

* Really would prefer the original handling scheme for HD/F, pre-"fix" for the speed exploit. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but the fix seemed to neuter high level play. If something could be done to return regular play to the pre-fix state while still keeping the exploit from making a return, that would be wonderful.

* I really, really didn't like the handling model in 2048. It's so finicky it turns playing for records into an antifun grind; and for beginners, it makes the game even worse because they'll always be smashing into things no matter what. Trying to level the playing field by forcing good players to make mistakes as well is the wrong way to go about it. Thus, I'd like it if 2048's tracks were able to be played with HD/F ships & handling; with the bonus of being able to play them with super phantom selectable from the racebox. In fact, if Omega just had 2048's tracks, that would make the overall package superior, IMO. Maybe just have the ships as unlockables as the Fury ships are to HD's ships, only give them the same stats as the Fury variant so they can be playable across the whole game.

If those aspects are guaranteed, I would definitely end up getting a PS4+this game. HD/F is the only console-only game from the last decade I've really enjoyed, and felt wouldn't be entirely eclipsed by a PC variant. Having access to the 2048 tracks and being able to play them with a decent handling model and with a proper controller, and being able to motion-pitch with the DS4, would be too tempting.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by xdirex View Post
    - Zone mode graphics. These were cut back last minute on PS3 due to epilepsy concerns. Seriously. Get them in there, put a health warning on it if necessary. I really want to see this mode as it was intended to be, or how far it can be taken. Other games have come since that take the visuals further do it shouldn't be a problem any more.
    Wow that is interesting to know, I looked for it online and I did found some footage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-SNDHzrFo

PSN ID
    a-m-j-w

2048!!

wicked. we can play on some new maps now!

i wonder what effect this will have on the playerbase of both HD fury and 2048...

nu9get Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miljoneir View Post
    Wow that is interesting to know, I looked for it online and I did found some footage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G-SNDHzrFo
    i dont see differences...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

Quote Originally Posted by Light Buster View Post
    Will the custom soundtrack return?
    to be honest, there's no real need for custom soundtrack, cause PS4 has Spotify
    and USB-Music Player. get an USB-stick with all your favorite music on it, there'ya go. it works with all games, except PS2 emulation (don't forget to mute the ingame music!)
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 6th December 2016 at 02:57 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Lightbuster88

Quote Originally Posted by JFthebestJan View Post
    to be honest, there's no real need for custom soundtrack, cause PS4 has Spotify
    and USB-Music Player. get an USB-stick with all your favorite music on it, there'ya go. it works with all games, except PS2 emulation (don't forget to mute the ingame music!)
    True, but the equalizers on the tracks in HD/Fury still animated even with the music muted. It's also irritating to go out of the game to change/start to your music and go back in the game, this didn't feel right at least for me. I personally liked the music to be on sync with the game. And if you ever watched my Zone videos, the track equalizers also play in sync with the custom music as well.
    Last edited by Light Buster; 7th December 2016 at 04:58 AM.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

That's not forgetting the shenanigans with server connections leaving the game causes.

Assuming that happened with HD, and not just 2048. It's just easier for a lot of people to use their own music, instead of paying for yet another thing where you don't even own the music. (seriously, I buy my CDs, the record companies can bugger off if they think they can come over and take them )

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I hate my attention to detail, but there is an alpha blending issue with the ship exhaust trail and the new shield effect. The trail goes dim when the shield is on, you will notice on the Triakis segment. The missile also produces the rocket sound effect when exploding off target. Where do I go to annoy the people responsible for this travesty?

Well done to IGN for actually having a competent player though.

I'm so happy that those who missed out on the sublime 2048 will get it on SUCH a powerful home console. The handling was a huge step forward as was the overall aesthetic.

Not an easy job to do 2048's style justice I'd say which is why we haven't even seen an screenshot yet.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdrium777 View Post
    I hate my attention to detail, but there is an alpha blending issue with the ship exhaust trail and the new shield effect. The trail goes dim when the shield is on, you will notice on the Triakis segment. The missile also produces the rocket sound effect when exploding off target. Where do I go to annoy the people responsible for this travesty?
    Oh goddamnit, now I'm never going to unsee that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

...but there is an alpha blending issue with the ship exhaust trail and the new shield effect. The trail goes dim when the shield is on, you will notice on the Triakis segment. The missile also produces the rocket sound effect when exploding off target...
    it's pre-alpha footage, so no worries I hope the game will be optimized for regular PS4 as well. no less than 1080p/60fps i expect. if they just going for 4k PS4 pro and don't care for the normal PS4 version, I'll skip the game !
    Last edited by JFthebestJan; 7th December 2016 at 03:25 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Well, between this and Crash Bandicoot I'll be buying a PS4. It would be cool to race with all the people I met playing WipEout HD/Fury once more.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    JFthebestJan

would be a cool thing to integrate PS4 / PS3 / vita crossplay as well ...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

The trail goes dim when the shield is on, you will notice on the Triakis segment. The missile also produces the rocket sound effect when exploding off target.
    That's a bug, or completely unrelated to the shield, as it doesn't happen near the end of that same race

And yes, agreed with JF, making crossplay with vita & PS3 would be absolutely amazing, one can hope

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    tug_14

ps3 and ps4 are two different hardware and soft systems... there 's no crossplay ( obviously online ) between ps3 and 4 in other game , i think . So ......
    A new game with old features ( or an old game with new features ???? ) , that's what we will get imao.

Sorry guys , you'll have to buy a PS4 ....